First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Dealership has been trying to find the cause of this vibration, noise started out of nowhere while driving at highway speeds, it starts out at a pulsing vibration, almost like a loose wheel, then slows as you continue to drive to about one second on and off. The vibration stops immediately when you engage 4H and comes back when switching back to 2H, warranty covered replacing the entire transfer case but that didn't solve the issue.
lol, I had to laugh at the dealer replacing the transfer case and not solving the problem. I would love to see the diagnostic tree they used to justify that swap. The warranty train has left the building!

Just a vibration or also a sound? What does the frequency of the vibration feel like? engine speed or wheel speed? (engine speed, matches rpm changes; road speed, matches the specific speed, in any gear, or a specific gear)

So we know it isn't the transfer case. Without knowing the vibration frequency, and the mentioning of changes in 2h vs 4h it feels like a problem with a balance of a shaft or a bad cv joint somewhere.
Sponsored

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hello my dear friends

I am experiencing a very similar issue

Black diamond sas
noticed at about 8,000 miles

at highway speeds, typically 65mph+
a slight intermittent vibration can be felt in the steering wheel and floor boards.

It does NOT present 100% of the time, so each time a dealer tries to replicate it, they claim they can't. incredibly annoying.

When it DOES present, switching to 4hi dampens the vibration. Returns at full strength in 2wd

its NOT the wheels or tires. I have mine rebalanced and rotated by ford and discount tire. I also swapped, ENTIRELY my wheels/tires with my buddies badlands. Mine continued to vibrate, his did not.

I had the front drive shaft replaced after the recall. Changed nothing.

If anyone resolves this issue, PLEASE post here.

also - for what its worth, reach out to Lynn Arledge at ford corporate. Let her know about your issue.

[email protected]

the more of us reporting, the better

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I figured I’d post a video where I was finally able to catch the humming noise. If you have good ear buds you can hear it quite well.

How aggressive is the vibration?

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
How aggressive is the vibration?
Sometimes it’s like driving over minor rumble strips. Sometimes it’s a bit loud and sounds/feels like driving on a greasier mud tires. Then sometimes it’s entirely gone. In every instance the vibration and noise goes away the second I shift into 4 wheel drive, and returns when shifted back into 2 wheel drive.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sometimes it’s like driving over minor rumble strips. Sometimes it’s a bit loud and sounds/feels like driving on a greasier mud tires. Then sometimes it’s entirely gone. In every instance the vibration and noise goes away the second I shift into 4 wheel drive, and returns when shifted back into 2 wheel drive.
Seems very similar to my issue. The 4hi aspect included.
Interesting way to describe the vibration level…

would a non-car enthusiast notice it do you think? Mine is subtle, which causes issues in the dealer being able to replicate it. My fiancé doesn’t notice it, but my gear head friend does, for example

Sponsored

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seems very similar to my issue. The 4hi aspect included.
Interesting way to describe the vibration level…

would a non-car enthusiast notice it do you think? Mine is subtle, which causes issues in the dealer being able to replicate it. My fiancé doesn’t notice it, but my gear head friend does, for example
My girlfriend doesn't notice that her suspension in her car is totally whopped out, and she doesn't notice that the inside of her windshield is so filthy that there is a permanent haze, and the other day while riding in my bronco she asked what that noise was.... so, yes, a non-enthusiast would notice when it's at its extreme.

As for the description, the noise isn't usually constant, it's like driving over evenly spaced sets of rumble strips, and it doesn't change the volume or intensity as I speed up or slow down or push the clutch in or anything.

I do not understand how the front diff works because I haven't seen it and I haven't taken it apart. But if I had to isolate potential causes I'd narrow it down to whatever mechanism engages/disengages the front axles, or the CV joint. Either the front axle isn't being completely disengaged, or the CV joint is failing (or some combination of both). I will qualify my mechanical skills this way: When my dad's race team was racing, the first time we finished the 24 hours of Daytona happened to be the year that our mechanic had a heart attack and one other guy and I put the car together. I'm not saying I'm mechanically gifted or even that knowledgeable, but I'm not a total moron. Ok well actually sometimes I am a moron, but still, there is only so much that can cause this issue. The fact that a couple people have experienced the same thing is comforting, though.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My girlfriend doesn't notice that her suspension in her car is totally whopped out, and she doesn't notice that the inside of her windshield is so filthy that there is a permanent haze, and the other day while riding in my bronco she asked what that noise was.... so, yes, a non-enthusiast would notice when it's at its extreme.

As for the description, the noise isn't usually constant, it's like driving over evenly spaced sets of rumble strips, and it doesn't change the volume or intensity as I speed up or slow down or push the clutch in or anything.

I do not understand how the front diff works because I haven't seen it and I haven't taken it apart. But if I had to isolate potential causes I'd narrow it down to whatever mechanism engages/disengages the front axles, or the CV joint. Either the front axle isn't being completely disengaged, or the CV joint is failing (or some combination of both). I will qualify my mechanical skills this way: When my dad's race team was racing, the first time we finished the 24 hours of Daytona happened to be the year that our mechanic had a heart attack and one other guy and I put the car together. I'm not saying I'm mechanically gifted or even that knowledgeable, but I'm not a total moron. Ok well actually sometimes I am a moron, but still, there is only so much that can cause this issue. The fact that a couple people have experienced the same thing is comforting, though.

I am with you in that I don't know for sure, but it seems like a torque converter, a CV joint or something similar. I am a former ford Launch Engineer, certainly not a god tier engineer, but I know a thing or two. Too bad the dealerships don't care. ha.

I'd implore you to email Lynn ([email protected]) at ford's executive offices. Detail your issue and ask to have a Field Service Engineer come check the bronco out.

She sent my dealer an FSE and he checked my truck but could not replicate my issue, sadly mine is very inconsistent so I must take him at his word at this point

Blmelite

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco , TRX, 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m having the same issue with mine. 22 wildtrak 2.7. They already replaced the half shafts in the front. After that is when all this start for me. You can feel it in the wheel and seat at highway speeds. It’s supper annoying.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I’m having the same issue with mine. 22 wildtrak 2.7. They already replaced the half shafts in the front. After that is when all this start for me. You can feel it in the wheel and seat at highway speeds. It’s supper annoying.
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s vibration concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Sponsored

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is yours oscillating?
Mine vibrates for 3-4 seconds, then smooth for 3-4 seconds and so on.

the vibration in the wheel isn’t big enough to visually see unfortunately, only to be felt. Which leaves room for the dealer to deny It exists

Blmelite

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco , TRX, 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is yours oscillating?
Mine vibrates for 3-4 seconds, then smooth for 3-4 seconds and so on.

the vibration in the wheel isn’t big enough to visually see unfortunately, only to be felt. Which leaves room for the dealer to deny It exists
yep literally the same issue. They had for 5 days but didn’t confirm it. Mine you can feel in the seat as well.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
yep literally the same issue. They had for 5 days but didn’t confirm it. Mine you can feel in the seat as well.
Noted - well you are not alone my friend.
I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but I would suggest you give [email protected] Lynn at ford an email. Let her know you issue.

Describe the symptoms, and let her know the dealer claims they can not confirm the issue.
This will do two things

1. She will have a field service engineer sent to the dealer to look at your truck
2. It creates a database of all of us having the same issue - raising the likely hood of a fix

BroncoU812

Black Diamond
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Glad I caught this thread. Same deal with my 21 black diamond 2 door 20k miles. It's an oscillating noise with a few seconds in between. I was thinking it was possibly a wheel balance issue because I hadn't noticed it until I switched from my 35 MTs to a set of snow tires on steelies but they were balanced so?

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Glad I caught this thread. Same deal with my 21 black diamond 2 door 20k miles. It's an oscillating noise with a few seconds in between. I was thinking it was possibly a wheel balance issue because I hadn't noticed it until I switched from my 35 MTs to a set of snow tires on steelies but they were balanced so?
If you have had your tires balanced I can almost assure you its not them.
Some folks at my work (engineering firm) are suggesting CV joint issues
Sponsored