Sponsored

Manual transmission - Clutch slipping at highway speeds with the cruise control on?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It sounds like it's just bogging down, 6th is not the greatest to use for acceleration.
Agree with your thought. This is one of the drawbacks of a manual: uphill shift to 5th / resume CC, flat or downhill 6th / resume CC.

That is how it’s been in my JK—especially after going from 32’s to 34’s w/o regearing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definately not a traditional bogging down. 37s on my JK with 4.10 gears and it just starts slowing down with the manual. This is a very abrupt loss of power. Sometimes with a quick recovery. At first I thought is was misfires. No dash lights or maybe they just have a high tollerance for missfires built in.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I want 2600-2800 rpms and almost no boost when I'm cruising. 6th gear is too low rpm and almost always in boost. I have no use for 6th gear.
I agree with you here, unless I am going downhill where load isn't an issue or on a flat where I can hold at lower RPM without boost, I favor going higher RPM without boost than low RPM with boost. Even in a non-turbo this gives better fuel economy in my experience and has to be even more beneficial than hitting boost.

There seems to be a belief that lowest RPMs is always the most economical and I've seen too many lug their engines with a manual and automatics almost always want the low RPM and require gas pedal further depressed than if it would shift into a lower gear. On my base with auto trans it will rather sit boosting a little than get into higher RPM with no boost. I am regularly hitting the button to force a downshift in these situations .

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

An easy way to avoid all of this is to get an automatic 🤣🤣

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Automatic (thanks wife) with the V6. I set my cruise at 75 going up and down the mountains on the freeway. RPMs stay at 2.2 uphill and down...

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Modern 4cyls operate at higher RPMS. If you look at a dyno of this engine, once you drop below 2400rpms, you're in the suck. There is a learning curve going from other engines. Something I had to learn when I went from V8s to Toyota 4cyls. Same learning curve going from aircooled to water cooled engines on a motorcycle. RPMs used to be a bad thing, but that's not always the case now.

You can't drive this engine like a V8 or V6, or even a diesel and expect the same results. Stay in the power band for this engine though and it works great. Don't expect any power without heavy boost if you drop below 2500rpms.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds like it's just bogging down, 6th is not the greatest to use for acceleration.
6th is not the greatest to use.

fixed it for you :)

Seriously, you need a downhill road with a tailwind at 75mph+ for 6th to work :)

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm thinkin' the engine is doing some type of fail-safe action to protect from lugging. I've always felt that 5th was the perfect gear if cruising below 75, keeps you perfectly in the power band and returns decent MPG still.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree with your thought. This is one of the drawbacks of a manual: uphill shift to 5th / resume CC, flat or downhill 6th / resume CC.

That is how it’s been in my JK—especially after going from 32’s to 34’s w/o regearing.
Actually you don't need to mess with the cruise when shifting, it will stay enabled. I love it.

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update. This is what I have found with my 2.3, 2 door, Badlands, Sasquatch, manual, stock.

If you want to take a nap like drivers with automatic transmissions, leave it in fifth and set the cruise. It climbed every hill and fought every head wind without issue. Possibly lost an MPG maybe 2 doing this. Not a big deal.

You can use 6th with the cruise if you speed up before a hill or cancel cruise and modulate the throttle yourself. You can also downshift to fifth, with the cruise still active (it won't cancel the cruise), way before you get to that hill. Possibly gain that MPG back.

It seems that the manual Bronco has a failsafe while in 6th when it has to use too much throttle to maintain speed.

I'll treat this like I do my other vehicles and just cancel cruise for inclines to prevent downshifts or in this case, losing all power.

Thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions. It is a big weight lifted from my shoulders to have a solution to what I thought was a problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It seems that the manual Bronco has a failsafe while in 6th when it has to use too much throttle to maintain speed.

I'll treat this like I do my other vehicles and just cancel cruise for inclines to prevent downshifts or in this case, losing all power.

Thank you everyone for your insights and suggestions. It is a big weight lifted from my shoulders to have a solution to what I thought was a problem.

Actually you don't need to mess with the cruise when shifting, it will stay enabled. I love it.
Given what Tricky Dick says, you just need to simply downshift a you start up hills, and put her back in sixth once you’re over the crest. No messing with the CC needed because it stays engaged.

Happy man-shifting!

OP
OP
cyberfalco

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Given what Tricky Dick says, you just need to simply downshift a you start up hills, and put her back in sixth once you’re over the crest. No messing with the CC needed because it stays engaged.

Happy man-shifting!
I've found you have to do it well before you ge to the hill. More practice and I will have the timing down.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy man-shifting!
Yeah it's a smart system and doesn't over rev when you push in the clutch. Makes freeway cruising a treat.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah it's a smart system and doesn't over rev when you push in the clutch. Makes freeway cruising a treat.
Well...don't that beat all. This was one reason why I chose an auto. I had an '89 F150 manual and though it had a disconnect for cruise on the clutch it would over rev every time, so I had to manually shut cruise off before a downshift (and that 5.0L needed that a lot in CO).

Like I say 'one reason", the other being I'm old as dirt and my knee may not last if running up and down through 6 all the time.
Sponsored