Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

UPDATE: THE NOISE/VIBRATION IS GONE!!!!!!

Got it in the shop today, tested the theory on the faulty 4WD disconnect by unplugging the actuator, road tested 20 miles, no more noise. So, for now I will just ignore the wrench light on the dash and wait for the parts to arrive.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have 22 2.7 sas...at 4000 miles I started to notice the smallest of vibration at high speed..roughly 75 or 80 mph...can't hear it yet but I can feel it in the shifter and slightly in the pedal...my wife and kids think I'm little nuts but I know how smooth this vehicle drove for the 1st few thousand...was thinking maybe the tires at first but my gut says maybe something else...I'm now at 5800 miles and it hasn't gotten worse ....I ve never tried to throw it in 4hi at those speeds and don't think I want to try either
Hey there. I can look into your Bronco’s vibration concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
UPDATE: THE NOISE/VIBRATION IS GONE!!!!!!

Got it in the shop today, tested the theory on the faulty 4WD disconnect by unplugging the actuator, road tested 20 miles, no more noise. So, for now I will just ignore the wrench light on the dash and wait for the parts to arrive.
That is great news! What’s involved in disconnecting the actuator? And what does it take to replace the actuator?

What is the most direct, clearest explanation that someone can give to the dealership service guys as to what the problem is so as to help them comprehend the problem and the solution?

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is great news! What’s involved in disconnecting the actuator? And what does it take to replace the actuator?

What is the most direct, clearest explanation that someone can give to the dealership service guys as to what the problem is so as to help them comprehend the problem and the solution?
I too wonder how the dealership dudes will receive this news, I also worry that my issue is slightly different because I can't see how pulling the actuator will impact the vibrations I am feeling

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I too wonder how the dealership dudes will receive this news, I also worry that my issue is slightly different because I can't see how pulling the actuator will impact the vibrations I am feeling
So, on the expedition/150 forums, this is actually one of the troubleshooting ideas. It turns out that a lot of people were experiencing problems from the actuator not fully engaging/disengaging due to a vacuum line or check valve leaking. I don't know if the Bronco shares mechanical similarities between the two, but if it does, then this could certainly be a viable way to troubleshoot. Granted, not every vibration issue people are having is applicable, but it's not always easy to distinguish one vibration from another, and even harder to convey what they feel like via text and video.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cnycyberorangeobx
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pretty straight forward to test it out, the tech just has to reach up on top of the actuator and unplug the connector, road test and see if the vibration is gone, this will however trigger a wrench light and a "Service 4WD" warning message.

imagen2.jpg

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pretty straight forward to test it out, the tech just has to reach up on top of the actuator and unplug the connector, road test and see if the vibration is gone, this will however trigger a wrench light and a "Service 4WD" warning message.

Ford Bronco OSCILLATING HUMMING NOISE/VIBRATION AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, GOES AWAY IN 4H imagen2
Doesn’t the actuator keep the hub from engaging, and without the actuator it’s locking the hub? I’m ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing (but learning).
I did some google and found a 2020 thread on this site about how this exact issue was common on F150’s. There was even a few comments with links to delete kits for other vehicles. I thought that was interesting that it was discussed on here before the vehicle was even in production!

OP
OP
cnycyberorangeobx
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Doesn’t the actuator keep the hub from engaging, and without the actuator it’s locking the hub? I’m ignorant when it comes to this kind of thing (but learning).
I did some google and found a 2020 thread on this site about how this exact issue was common on F150’s. There was even a few comments with links to delete kits for other vehicles. I thought that was interesting that it was discussed on here before the vehicle was even in production!
F-150s used a vacuum actuator in the IWE. They use vacuum to hold the actuator open but when you lose vacuum those actuators default to engage the hub. Newer F-150s use an electronic version of the IWE. The system in the Bronco uses a dog clutch between the differential and the axle to decrease drag on the driveline when in 2WD. I'm not certain if disconnecting the actuator defaults to engage or disengage the clutch, but I'm leaning towards disengaging the clutch, so I probably would only have 3WD if I tried to lock in the front axle, but I'm not touching that 4WD switch until the new actuator is in there.

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
F-150s used a vacuum actuator in the IWE. They use vacuum to hold the actuator open but when you lose vacuum those actuators default to engage the hub. Newer F-150s use an electronic version of the IWE. The system in the Bronco uses a dog clutch between the differential and the axle to decrease drag on the driveline when in 2WD. I'm not certain if disconnecting the actuator defaults to engage or disengage the clutch, but I'm leaning towards disengaging the clutch, so I probably would only have 3WD if I tried to lock in the front axle, but I'm not touching that 4WD switch until the new actuator is in there.
Got it. What’s the cost of the actuator?Are there 2 on the front, and are they the same part number? I’m wondering if it’s an issue on one specific part, or if it’s just part of a larger issue. Is Ford warranting the part and labor, or are you just eating it?

OP
OP
cnycyberorangeobx
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Got it. What’s the cost of the actuator?Are there 2 on the front, and are they the same part number? I’m wondering if it’s an issue on one specific part, or if it’s just part of a larger issue. Is Ford warranting the part and labor, or are you just eating it?
Mine is covered under warranty, so unless you have over 60k miles i would think yours would be covered, it's a single part, if you look at one of my previous posts there is a screen shot from the parts catalog that shows the assembly.

Sponsored

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
please let us know once you’ve tried this on yours and the results

diamonddude97

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So glad I found this thread! My 22 Big Bend with 13000 miles does the same thing at highway speeds. I noticed it a couple months ago and I thought I was just being picky since it’s such a slight oscillation, but enough for me to feel/annoy me. It goes away when I accelerate so maybe I’ll try the original posters test this week at my ford appointment and see if that’s the problem

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So glad I found this thread! My 22 Big Bend with 13000 miles does the same thing at highway speeds. I noticed it a couple months ago and I thought I was just being picky since it’s such a slight oscillation, but enough for me to feel/annoy me. It goes away when I accelerate so maybe I’ll try the original posters test this week at my ford appointment and see if that’s the problem
Please let us know how your test goes if you perform it (I'd assume you are talking about unplugging the 4x4 actuator)

I'd really like to test as well, but my dealership claims they can't feel the vibration and thus if I un-plug it and it resolves the problem.. I will just have a new issue on my hands.

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Any update?

RunningJerk

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My dealer couldn’t feel or hear the issue, so if it happens again they asked me to come back. It’s happening all the damn time…. Yet the one day they have the vehicle it wasn’t making much noise or vibrating. Frustrating.
Sponsored