Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This was brought up briefly in another thread, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on it. I am thinking that with the addition of the Mid Package to any of the Broncos, you may get painted door handles because of Intelligent Access. I am specifically referring to the lock/unlock feature on the outside door handles.

I have yet to see a Ford with MIC door handles that also has Intelligent Access. I am sure it is possible, but I am not sure it has been done before, or that they are planning to start doing it with the Bronco. If you look at the comparison pdf on Ford's website, all of the trims that come with Mid Package or above also include painted door handles.

The only evidence contradicting me at the moment is the most recently built Oxford White Badlands. The interior photos we saw today show the 12" screen from the High/Lux Package, but the exterior photos still show black MIC door handles. Because this is still preproduction, and for the sake of discussion, I am not taking this as definitive proof that production Broncos with Mid Package or above will not have painted handles.

For those who don't know, Intelligent Access is the general term ford uses for all of the features that would normally require a physical key or fob, but now do not. Again, I am specifically referring to the lock/unlock feature in this case.

So what does everyone think? I know Build & Price will answer this "soon," but it's something to think about to help pass the time.
Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I only see OBX with painted handles on a Mid package.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure where you are seeing painted handles other than OBX.

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only see OBX with painted handles on a Mid package.
On Ford's website under exterior features the First Edition has painted door handles. Looks like I might have been wrong about the Wildtrak, but all of the preproduction Wildtraks have had painted handles.

It's all speculation at this point. I thought it would be interesting if true.

OP
OP
Philly

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure where you are seeing painted handles other than OBX.
I was unclear. I meant to reference the comparison sheet to see the packages they all started with. On the website itself under exterior features they are also listed for the First Edition. Wildtrak contradicts this, but the preproduction versions all have painted handles.

Sponsored

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If painted door handles is going to be that one STUPID thing that makes me fork out the extra dough for a package I was already on the fence about, then so be it. Painted handles are just one of those things to me... can't explain it. Hate those black plastic handles.

Fuck now I'm starting to get nit-picky. Now that I'm going for the mid... might as well go High too for that 360* camera.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep uses the black mic handles with remote proximity unlock/lock feature. I know the wife will want body matched handles on her BL so Ive already figured that I’ll need to buy cactus gray handles separately. She is getting either the high or lux package.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If painted door handles is going to be that one STUPID thing that makes me fork out the extra dough for a package I was already on the fence about, then so be it. Painted handles are just one of those things to me... can't explain it. Hate those black plastic handles.

Fuck now I'm starting to get nit-picky. Now that I'm going for the mid... might as well go High too for that 360* camera.

Not just you, it adds an expensive look to the vehicle. I can't fathom a $50-60k vehicle with plastic handles. That's horrendous.

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Jeep uses the black mic handles with remote proximity unlock/lock feature. I know the wife will want body matched handles on her BL so Ive already figured that I’ll need to buy cactus gray handles separately. She is getting either the high or lux package.
Jeep at least offers it as a stand-alone feature...

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How are you sure that they will be an option or available? I hate plastic handles so much that I may change trims. So cheap looking. It screams "base model."

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How are you sure that they will be an option or available? I hate plastic handles so much that I may change trims. So cheap looking. It screams "base model."
Because other trims have paint matched door handles. So I walk up to the parts counter and ask for OBX door handles. But my hunch is that they may just come in primer.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And I completely agree. when I was shopping for a gladiator I was going to spend $700 for paint matched flares and $2200 for a paint matched hardtop because I hate the black plastic. Now on 2021s, they come with paint matched flares with an option for black plastic ones.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I think black plastic door handles scream off-road SUV. I’m cool with them.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was unclear. I meant to reference the comparison sheet to see the packages they all started with. On the website itself under exterior features they are also listed for the First Edition. Wildtrak contradicts this, but the preproduction versions all have painted handles.
As I've pointed out in other thread, the "exterior features" portion of Wildtrak also originally mentioned painted door handles, and was changed at some point.

100% agree

Because other trims have paint matched door handles. So I walk up to the parts counter and ask for OBX door handles. But my hunch is that they may just come in primer.
Honestly, it'd be worth it to me.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not sure how Ford handles things, but from my experience, any part not painted in the factory came already pre-painted and was able to be ordered as such (mirrors, trim pieces...).

Side note: This is great while the vehicle is in production, but sucks when you need a certain color replacement part 10 years after production stopped. ?
Sponsored