First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra, Colorado, GSXR 750, Scott Genius
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So we are a 7/23/2020 reservation date and my wife and I are content to wait until 2023 for a painted black top. The MIC is too close to the iconic silver she wants. She has a VW Tiguan she likes so no worries to wait until 2023.
Well lo and behold we get an email with a VIN and build date.
It seems the dealer has switched us to an MIC because Ford said no painted tops at all.
I have read nothing about this or seen any communication from Ford about no painted tops. No call from the dealer ship, unlike when the tow package was and no go and we got a dealer call that the tow package was coming off.
Anyone else who wanted a painted top been moved to a MIC without their consent or without their knowledge?
Sheesh, what a cluster....
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not here. I voluntarily gave up the painted top sl I could ne driving now. At that time I even asked if I could switch to MIC with softtop and that was a non-starter. So i had figured all along on ordering a Ford painted top for MY 2023 through accesdoried. Since I like you have yet to see anything official maybe @Ford can enlighten us.

Without a oem painted top it gives the aftermarket manufacturers free reign to add another $1000 to their already , in my opinion. High priced options.

NM Design

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2010 Raptor, 2002 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had something similar happen. Some info: reservation date 07/14/2020, ordered 3/11/2021 2 door badlands sasquatch, 2.7L w/ painted top. "My Dealer Said" I was #7 in line and he had 6 allocations, so I wasn't expecting to get a Bronco right away. Went back through emails, I got the 8/13/2021 email from Ford about hardtop issues. Shortly after I was contacted by the dealer and I told him I was fine with waiting for a painted top. Fast forward to 12/7/2021 my dealer calls and says my order has been pulled to build and wanted to double check order specs. To my surprise I asked him if they had changed the restrictions on the painted top. He told me no the orders shows MIC and said he had not made the change and that the Painted top wasn't even an option he could see. Again I said I'd prefer to just wait for the painted top, he said ok and he'd be in contact before the 2023 order banks open. This is a very small dealership and I do believe he was being honest that it was changed without his knowledge so maybe something similar happened and its on the Rockstar's in charge of the ordering banks.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I had something similar happen. Some info: reservation date 07/14/2020, ordered 3/11/2021 2 door badlands sasquatch, 2.7L w/ painted top. "My Dealer Said" I was #7 in line and he had 6 allocations, so I wasn't expecting to get a Bronco right away. Went back through emails, I got the 8/13/2021 email from Ford about hardtop issues. Shortly after I was contacted by the dealer and I told him I was fine with waiting for a painted top. Fast forward to 12/7/2021 my dealer calls and says my order has been pulled to build and wanted to double check order specs. To my surprise I asked him if they had changed the restrictions on the painted top. He told me no the orders shows MIC and said he had not made the change and that the Painted top wasn't even an option he could see. Again I said I'd prefer to just wait for the painted top, he said ok and he'd be in contact before the 2023 order banks open. This is a very small dealership and I do believe he was being honest that it was changed without his knowledge so maybe something similar happened and its on the Rockstar's in charge of the ordering banks.
You are right, the dealers will not see the option of ordering a painted modular hardtop for MY22 as they do not exist yet. So your average salesperson will tell you, nope, they are not available.

Most likley they started after Ford announced the delay until MY23, or they are feigning stupidity.

Last edited:

NM Design

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2010 Raptor, 2002 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, my dealerships is in a town of less then 1,500 people, I ordered from the owner of the dealership, knows my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents kinda deal. We both shared disappointment in Fords communication about the bronco at several stages of this process. I had to point out to him that the painted top was pushed to 2023 via emails from ford. He sells F Series to local farmers like crazy, so I guess I give him some benefit of doubt, he may know more then he's telling me, I tried to pry about the Raptor and Heritage editions that were rumored at the time but he at least acted like he didn't know anything.

North7: do you think this is something that should have been common knowledge to the dealer? I've had some frustration with the dealers lack of knowledge on the bronco but I don't know if its just, bad Ford communication, laziness, lack of interest on the dealer.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah, my dealerships is in a town of less then 1,500 people, I ordered from the owner of the dealership, knows my mom, dad, aunts, uncles, and grandparents kinda deal. We both shared disappointment in Fords communication about the bronco at several stages of this process. I had to point out to him that the painted top was pushed to 2023 via emails from ford. He sells F Series to local farmers like crazy, so I guess I give him some benefit of doubt, he may know more then he's telling me, I tried to pry about the Raptor and Heritage editions that were rumored at the time but he at least acted like he didn't know anything.

North7: do you think this is something that should have been common knowledge to the dealer? I've had some frustration with the dealers lack of knowledge on the bronco but I don't know if its just, bad Ford communication, laziness, lack of interest on the dealer.
All of the above. One dealer source I have (from the forum) told me as bad as Ford is with consumer communication, they are no better with the dealers communication.

This is Ford's new communication logo:
Ford Bronco Painted Tops Anyone? Ford in the Dark

Last edited:

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

So we are a 7/23/2020 reservation date and my wife and I are content to wait until 2023 for a painted black top. The MIC is too close to the iconic silver she wants. She has a VW Tiguan she likes so no worries to wait until 2023.
Well lo and behold we get an email with a VIN and build date.
It seems the dealer has switched us to an MIC because Ford said no painted tops at all.
I have read nothing about this or seen any communication from Ford about no painted tops. No call from the dealer ship, unlike when the tow package was and no go and we got a dealer call that the tow package was coming off.
Anyone else who wanted a painted top been moved to a MIC without their consent or without their knowledge?
Sheesh, what a cluster....
You should have had your dealership your priority code to 99 (do not build) if you wanted to wait for a MY2023. If the priority code was anything other than 99, my understanding is that Ford will build with whichever the current available hardtop is, if you selected a hardtop.

Also, your order/build specs are available online through your Ford account and the back door tracker. Since painted tops haven't been available I highly doubt it showed up in the tracker as being an option Ford switched on you with out your permission. It's most likely that you dealership submitted the order with the MIC top.

Did you give the dealership permission to submit your order, or did you ask them to hold your order for an MY2023 model?

OP
OP
TSGibbs

TSGibbs

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't give the dealership my OK to submit the order with a MIC top.
The salesman DID call me to ask if taking the tow package off my order was OK since there were no chips for it. I said OK to removing the tow package.
BUT
Not the painted top.
I got no calls from the dealer about the top, and my wife and I were very clear we were OK to wait for a painted top.
So, no communication about which top since we converted to order a year ago.
He didn't even call and ask if we still wanted to wait until 2023.

At this point we may go ahead and get it.
If she doesn't like the MIC (grey) top on a silver vehicle, it will then go to the highest bidder.
I'll be darned if I allow the dealer to make money (ADM) on their screw-up on my vehicle that I ordered AND I skipped 3 other dealers closer to me to order from this dealer, because I thought they were more reputable(!)
Sheesh, can I say it again, WHAT A CLUSTER!!!

Sponsored

Dom

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Expedition, 2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Nice Honda. Love those colors.

OP
OP
TSGibbs

TSGibbs

Black Diamond
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Wish I still had it. It was absolutely buttah on the racetrack.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I didn't give the dealership my OK to submit the order with a MIC top.
The salesman DID call me to ask if taking the tow package off my order was OK since there were no chips for it. I said OK to removing the tow package.
BUT
Not the painted top.
I got no calls from the dealer about the top, and my wife and I were very clear we were OK to wait for a painted top.
So, no communication about which top since we converted to order a year ago.
He didn't even call and ask if we still wanted to wait until 2023.

At this point we may go ahead and get it.
If she doesn't like the MIC (grey) top on a silver vehicle, it will then go to the highest bidder.
I'll be darned if I allow the dealer to make money (ADM) on their screw-up on my vehicle that I ordered AND I skipped 3 other dealers closer to me to order from this dealer, because I thought they were more reputable(!)
Sheesh, can I say it again, WHAT A CLUSTER!!!
but did you specifically tell your dealership you wanted to wait for a 2023 model year? From your prospective the question is the did Ford or the dealership change the painted top but real question here not the painted top it's the model year you wanted.

You can always sell the factory hard top and but an after market hard top that can be painted.

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I highly suspect that the problem was taking the tow package off. The only reason to do that was to get a MY2022 buildable Bronco. 2022 Bronco's don't have a painted top, so it automatically switched you to MIC.

Here is the good news. You probably saved enough avoiding 2023 price hikes that you can get it wrapped with any color you want and still come out ahead... So congratulations!