toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both manual transmission Wranglers I traded in were sold within a week on the lot. There are fans! Dealership gave me top dollar for both as well
This is reassuring. Guess I'll teach the wife how to drive stick for when she needs to move the Bronco and I get what I want :). I really don't plan on selling unless for some reason there are major mechanical malfunctions or an electrical gremlin that just can't be found.
Sponsored

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Get to Auto, manuals are a thing of the past really. Not much advantage to them. Fun yes, better for todays world, I don't think so.

My dad used to rail against front wheel drive cars, the last 20 years he extolled their virtues. Times change.

Sounds like you should get the BB Auto and whatever engine you decide, same applies to me. Wonder what either of us will actually get.

Drafting_Monkey

Black Diamond
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 GT/CS, 20 Honda Insight EX & 19 Mazda CX9
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Get to Auto, manuals are a thing of the past really. Not much advantage to them. Fun yes, better for todays world, I don't think so.

My dad used to rail against front wheel drive cars, the last 20 years he extolled their virtues. Times change.

Sounds like you should get the BB Auto and whatever engine you decide, same applies to me. Wonder what either of us will actually get.
This is the exact reason I want to get a manual. They won't be around for much longer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

The more I live through these times the more I feel I am a "thing" of the past.
Proudly.

I always had sticks when I was younger. I recently watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and watching the Arm Pit character racing around in a little Karmann Ghia beater made me nostalgic, and also appreciative: they're more fun, they put you in the moment, with the vehicle. Corny? Maybe, but it's true for me:

Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Proudly.

I always had sticks when I was younger. I recently watched "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" and watching the Arm Pit character racing around in a little Karmann Ghia beater made me nostalgic, and also appreciative: they're more fun, they put you in the moment, with the vehicle. Corny? Maybe, but it's true for me:

I would get the stick if it was going to be my only vehicle with one, but when i have the bronco, the three other vehicles we own will be sticks, so having one auto is ok with me. If they would have offered a manual with the V6, then i may have reconsidered.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

I would get the stick if it was going to be my only vehicle with one, but when i have the bronco, the three other vehicles we own will be sticks, so having one auto is ok with me. If they would have offered a manual with the V6, then i may have reconsidered.
Same but opposite for me. Both my cars now are autos... great cars, like driving around in your living room lol... comfortable, spacious, great sound and great for road trips. I haven't had a stick since '05 (the rearing years) and am feeling the call again. AKA mid-life crisis ;)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also priced a Badlands because I found I could get a stick with a mid package, LED headlamps and get 33's.

However, I just don't feel the cost for a more off-roading forward trim could be justified for my uses. In essence, for me, it would be overkill.

I love the 2 door and priced the BB at $38K and some change for the manual I described above.

I feel that if I have to get the mid I at least want the 2.7 if I have to have an auto, and yes, my wife still remembers driving all over California as a passenger in my Wrangler. Bumpy and jerky.
I suppose I want to just go all-basic, analog, with the stick. Just a no frills truck. And you have to because you cannot even get footwell lighting with the manual LOL.
oh boy the infamous footwell lighting,dont sweat it when i bought the tundra it had no footwell lighting wtf a company and there will be many made an inexpensive kit to add it. Led strips with peel and stick under the dash and the approprate plug to tie into stock harness ,open door lights come on simple.
What im trying to say is dont the tiny details ,dont jump to a higher level unless you feally want everything in it.
Stuff like seat material,lighting,is easy fix!

Old Guy

Big Bend
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Proudly.

I agree with you. For us getting older (old) I think the simpler stuff has a appeal and a place maybe. For the coming generations, I just think they will never have the nostalgia or reason to want the other stuff. I'm a "car" guy, or at least what it means to me, in that I love my cars. To my kids, they are just a means to an end, they don't really think of them like I do. Likely its a better frame of mind, but I am too old to not think of them as something special.

rtsherry73

Outer Banks
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello. When I lived in Southern California in my 20's I had a '94 and '02 Wrangler and '96 Bronco that I was able to take off-roading in Anza-Borrego, Cleveland National Forest, and unmanaged borderlands for some desert camping and hiking trips quite regularly.

Now, 20 years later, I'm looking at a Bronco, in the mid-Atlantic/south that will serve mostly as a commuter vehicle (work, soccer practice, store-by-fouring) but can bring me back to no-nonsense fun top-down driving.

Hopefully.

But I'm a realist. And I'm older. And I want a stick.

I "reserved" a Black Diamond. Now, I'm drawn to to the Big Bend.
-Manual Trans
-Led headlamps "signature"
-Sandstone seats
-Tow package
-Heavy-duty bumper
-Locking rear axel
-Cactus Gray (originally wanted cyber orange but feel that may get tiresome)

The vinyl seats may be nice in the BD, but I remember vinyl and thighs in my Wranglers. I'm sure the marine grade addresses that, but can't get the LEDs, and the rock crawl and bash plates are not enough for me to pay the added cost for an occasional off-roader and beach cruiser. Vinyl would be better for wet surfboards and bodies I suppose. Decisions.

I was torn by the mid-package because I have a wife and children and everyone enjoys creature comforts and USB access.

But we have an XC90 for that and for long road trips.

I do miss the days of simple trucks. Like my big old steering wheel'd '78 Cheyenne, and the '94 Wrangler.
Less to go wrong, and on a first model year... they will go wrong.
All the gizmos and doo-dads.

But I'm torn, because it's not all about me.
I also built a BB with Mid and 2.7 and tube steps.

First order of business is going to the tire store for the Toyo Open Country AT III's.
33" at least.

Need a long-lasting and quiet HW tire that gives a little more beef to the BB Bronco.

To make a long story longer:

BD or BB with MT or BB with Mid 2.7.
I have a daughter that will be driving soon, but I feel that a kid should learn to drive a manual.

Thank you for any input.
New drivers will eventually wreck whatever you give them. Best to start used, cheap, and big.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Proudly.

wow thats almost my story ,when i was 11 found some records in the trash down the street ,one was this one i used to listen to the songs and drool over the cool odd car on the cover.
Ff 30+ years later i finially get one ,and recently found the orig record in the attic nothing like a childhood deram come true.
Ford Bronco Part-Time Off-roader Build Quandary 20201211_135342

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

wow thats almost my story ,when i was 11 found some records in the trash down the street ,one was this one i used to listen to the songs and drool over the cool odd car on the cover.
Ff 30+ years later i finially get one ,and recently found the orig record in the attic nothing like a childhood deram come true.
Ford Bronco Part-Time Off-roader Build Quandary 20201211_135342
Wow! That's very cool. I was eyeing a Karmann Ghia at a used-car dealer in Manhattan Beach, but it didn't quite drive like the one in the aforementioned film LOL. The dealer turned me on to an '89 Mustang 5.0 convertible. It was auto, but after a test drive down to Redondo with the top down I was sold. It was just joyful. Driving for me in the interim has become a drudgery, and perhaps should be (going to work, practices, errands, etc.), but there's something to be said for finding enjoyment in those times getting to new places. I believe someone said that's called "life" i.e., the time lived between goals. I want t enjoy those small moments again.
Sponsored