Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Does anybody else have an issue with their phones absolutely cooking while being charged (wired)? I've check with both usb ports, front and rear, and the phone always heats up to a point where it stop charging until it cools off.
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve had issues with wireless getting hot, but can’t say I have had issues wired to any of the outlets. What type of phone do you have?

OP
OP
Tofudude

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’ve had issues with wireless getting hot, but can’t say I have had issues wired to any of the outlets. What type of phone do you have?
IPhone 12 mini the SO's iphone as well along with multiple cables including apple cables.

I totally get why wireless charging would heat up but not the wired.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wireless charging yes. Wired no, but...
On an hours long trip running Android Auto my phone overheated while connected via USB. I think combination of running AA and topping up the charge is what overheated the phone but took about 4 hours.

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Does anybody else have an issue with their phones absolutely cooking while being charged (wired)? I've check with both usb ports, front and rear, and the phone always heats up to a point where it stop charging until it cools off.
Yah it's a pretty common problem.

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208078

• Your iPhone might get slightly warmer while it charges. To extend the lifespan of your battery, if the battery gets too warm, software might limit charging above 80 percent. Your iPhone will charge again when the temperature drops. Try moving your iPhone and charger to a cooler location.
1. It seems getting 'warm' is a known side effect of wireless charging.
2. It seems there is software on the phone to limit impacts of this heating (is this really Ford's issue?)

I find it funny - Apple's guidance is essentially -
If it gets hot - move it to somewhere cooler /aka 'common sense'

Easy-v

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qi_(standard)

Regulation of the output voltage is provided by a digital control loop where the power receiver communicates with the power transmitter and requests more or less power. Communication is unidirectional from the power receiver to the power transmitter via backscatter modulation. In backscatter modulation, the power-receiver coil is loaded, changing the current draw at the power transmitter. These current changes are monitored and demodulated into the information required for the two devices to work together​

(the phone regulates the power output of the charging pad / hence the guidance to keep the pad clean, ensure there is nothing between the phone and the pad, and that a case can interfere with charging, keep coins off the pad etc as recomended here https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...le/what-is-the-wireless-charging-pad-feature/)

Having said that - on long trips, yes my iPhone does get 'hot'.

I work around this with a 3 inch lightning cable and just plug the phone in and use the wireless charger as a convenience for shorter trips under an hour

MTinPA

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335i
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

After a 2 hour trip in my Bronco yesterday where I had my iphone on the wireless charging pad (no case), it seems to have fried the iPhone Qi hardware. It will no longer charge wirelessly on any of my charging pads or MagSafe. Apple ran a hardware diagnostic and confirmed there's an issue. I can't say for sure that the Bronco charging pad caused the problem, but it seems very likely. I would be careful using it.
Sponsored