Sponsored

Plastic to badlands steel rear bumper swap?

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve dug and dug but can’t find much on swapping the plastic rear bumper to the badlands steel rear bumper. I assume most go after market but I’m curious if there are issues with the sensor holes and the wire harness. I know the front is a pretty clean swap from plastic to mod but I can’t find much on this rear swap.
Sponsored

tcraig808

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

which model has plastic vs which model has steel rear bumpers?

OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I believe all have plastic except badlands and the raptor. I found a local new raptor bumper I’m going to try.

Longbow

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Badlands is plastic, and Raptor is probably too big. FYI

OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Badlands is plastic, and Raptor is probably too big. FYI
Badlands top is plastic but the bottom is steel. The raptor is actually identical - you wouldn’t think so with the fender flares. They both come with the flares on the back to make it more seamless with sas flares.

IMG_4289.jpeg

Sponsored

Longbow

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Blue Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
HUH, well I stand corrected, Badlands is metal says my magnet. LOL Still feels super thin. I'm going to wait till it crushes on the trail before replacing.

OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

HUH, well I stand corrected, Badlands is metal says my magnet. LOL Still feels super thin. I'm going to wait till it crushes on the trail before replacing.
It’s not much of an upgrade, but for the low price of the bumper, it’s better than the pure plastic one I figured

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe all have plastic except badlands and the raptor. I found a local new raptor bumper I’m going to try.
Black diamond, badlands, first edition, everglades, heritage and raptor all come standard with the steel rear bumper.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Black diamond, badlands, first edition, everglades, heritage and raptor all come standard with the steel rear bumper.
Wish I had known that - probably could have found one faster. So I got a lucky trim with plastic.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The swap from plastic to “steel” rear bumper is pretty simple. The sensor brackets are different but the sensors will swap over without a problem. If you are changing Sas status, ie. adding a Sas steel to a non sas Bronco, then the end caps will need to be changed on the bumper. The same goes the other way around too.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The swap from plastic to “steel” rear bumper is pretty simple. The sensor brackets are different but the sensors will swap over without a problem. If you are changing Sas status, ie. adding a Sas steel to a non sas Bronco, then the end caps will need to be changed on the bumper. The same goes the other way around too.
Perfect. I have sas so the end caps will be needed. I just wasn’t sure if the sensors would move over. I can tell the brackets are different but wasn’t sure about the inside.

Papa Smurf

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco WT. ‘23 Maverick. Hybrid. '23 Rav4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Perfect. I have sas so the end caps will be needed. I just wasn’t sure if the sensors would move over. I can tell the brackets are different but wasn’t sure about the inside.
I currently have a non Sas OBX with a steel rear bumper from a Sas Badlands donor. The brackets came with. I used my original sensors and wire harness. I bought new caps to downgrade to the non sas size.

Jeffola

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco, 2023 Hyundai Santa-Fe, 2019 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just acquired both a capable and a rear steel bumper. Both need the sensor bezels, fronts have been ordered from Ford and will be here today or tomorrow. I also ordered the KR Off road dual aux light kit for the Capable bumper. That is this weekends project. Once the front is done, I will order the bezels for the rear bumper. Sadly most of the 6 parts needed are $9, but one is $88. It's a stupid plastic retainer. Anyway, I will order that once the front is on. Looks like a very clean swap. I just have to remove my backup light from my plastic bumper and cut it into my new steel bumper. Photo is the current plastic rear with light in it.

IMG_8275.jpeg

Aliass24

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just acquired both a capable and a rear steel bumper. Both need the sensor bezels, fronts have been ordered from Ford and will be here today or tomorrow. I also ordered the KR Off road dual aux light kit for the Capable bumper. That is this weekends project. Once the front is done, I will order the bezels for the rear bumper. Sadly most of the 6 parts needed are $9, but one is $88. It's a stupid plastic retainer. Anyway, I will order that once the front is on. Looks like a very clean swap. I just have to remove my backup light from my plastic bumper and cut it into my new steel bumper. Photo is the current plastic rear with light in it.

Ford Bronco Plastic to badlands steel rear bumper swap? IMG_8275
Was there much difference in weight between the rear steel and plastic bumpers?

OP
OP

Nogame24

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Was there much difference in weight between the rear steel and plastic bumpers?
There’s a difference but I didn’t notice it being a lot. Now the plastic front to modular front is a whole different story. It was drastically heavier.
Sponsored