Sponsored

Ply number on the stock Sasquatch tires?

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Does anyone know the ply number on the stock Sasquatch tires?
Sponsored

OP
OP
WeirdGuy

WeirdGuy

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
  • Banned
Thanks!

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

X2: 6-ply rated.
Six-ply rated, meaning...?
This thread may overlap the long (high-complaint) thread (14 pages and counting!):
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-my-new-bronco-goodyear-ford-or-both.59377/

I explained in a long post there that I had three flats on well-maintained unpaved gravel + hard dirt roads in Utah--after handling some grungier trails in Moab without a problem. The repair guy I used in Wendover said 6-ply ain't enough: the stones the tires grab work up and through the six plies. (Plys?) His advise was to air down, and eventually replace them with 10- or 11-ply. So, Mr. Discount Tire, a few questions:
1) I'd rather not go to the increase in weight a higher-ply tire would call for. Thoughts or suggestiongs?
2) One poster said those Goodyears don't grab rocks as much after they've worn down.
3) What psi is best for firm unpaved roads on the GY Territories (Wranglers) which can accommodate a 50 mph cruise speed?
4) And what does "six-ply rated" mean, anyway?

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Six-ply rated, meaning...?
This thread may overlap the long (high-complaint) thread (14 pages and counting!):
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...on-my-new-bronco-goodyear-ford-or-both.59377/

I explained in a long post there that I had three flats on well-maintained unpaved gravel + hard dirt roads in Utah--after handling some grungier trails in Moab without a problem. The repair guy I used in Wendover said 6-ply ain't enough: the stones the tires grab work up and through the six plies. (Plys?) His advise was to air down, and eventually replace them with 10- or 11-ply. So, Mr. Discount Tire, a few questions:
1) I'd rather not go to the increase in weight a higher-ply tire would call for. Thoughts or suggestiongs?
2) One poster said those Goodyears don't grab rocks as much after they've worn down.
3) What psi is best for firm unpaved roads on the GY Territories (Wranglers) which can accommodate a 50 mph cruise speed?
4) And what does "six-ply rated" mean, anyway?
3) PSI: Anyone who answers anything but what the manufacturer recommends is opening themselves up to potential legal liability issues.

4) "six-ply rated" is like “one-ton truck”. It harkens back 50-75 years ago to an era when these had meaning but now they are replaced by real numbers, such as tire load index, or truck GVWR. Nevertheless maybe someone can read the sidewall of their tire and tell us what the fine print says regarding construction.

Discount Tire

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
discountti.re
Vehicle(s)
All Things FORD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm sorry to hear about the multiple flats @BostonSasquatch and my apologies for the lack of clarity in ply rating.

A tire’s ply is an older term referring to the internal layers of a tire’s construction, such as in the early days of bias ply tires. The more plies gave a tire a larger load carrying capacity, so manufacturers would count the plies and use this number to denote this measurement.

However, modern tire construction uses fewer, stronger ply material. Therefore, load range today simply defines the tire’s maximum air pressure, as opposed to specific information about the actual plies.. Using "C" for example, this Load Range indicates that a tire is equivalent to a 6 ply construction tire. This tire isn’t actually built with 6 plies, but rather one or two plies of equivalent strength.

I'll add that tires are pneumatic, and vernally speaking, the higher the pressure the more load carrying capacity.

Regarding pressure off highway, if you choose to air down, it's going to boil down to personal preference as there is no magic formula when it comes to the right air pressure. For us, we recommend the pressure that meets the load capacity of the vehicle per the load inflation tables.

Braaap

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm sorry to hear about the multiple flats @BostonSasquatch and my apologies for the lack of clarity in ply rating.

A tire’s ply is an older term referring to the internal layers of a tire’s construction, such as in the early days of bias ply tires. The more plies gave a tire a larger load carrying capacity, so manufacturers would count the plies and use this number to denote this measurement.

However, modern tire construction uses fewer, stronger ply material. Therefore, load range today simply defines the tire’s maximum air pressure, as opposed to specific information about the actual plies.. Using "C" for example, this Load Range indicates that a tire is equivalent to a 6 ply construction tire. This tire isn’t actually built with 6 plies, but rather one or two plies of equivalent strength.

I'll add that tires are pneumatic, and vernally speaking, the higher the pressure the more load carrying capacity.

Regarding pressure off highway, if you choose to air down, it's going to boil down to personal preference as there is no magic formula when it comes to the right air pressure. For us, we recommend the pressure that meets the load capacity of the vehicle per the load inflation tables.
WOW, a 6 ply sidewall? That's excellent. Thanks for clearing up how many plies a Sasquatch tire has.

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! As you may have guessed, I'm on a learning curve here. I'll pose a question to you and other board posters: Have you found that with a bit of wear the Goodyear "Territories" are less prone to grabbing and chucking rocks? And if so, at what kind of mileage and/or wear? Just wondering if I should fork up $$$ for new tires next spring. I'm at 15K now, with maybe 1.5K off-road (trail & various grades of unpaved).

joeb

Wildtrak
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Following Thread

Though I have always been a fan of the bf ko2's with my 4x4 vehicles. -- and I think they come in different Load Ratings. So I hope to learn something. I have seen C and I think E Load ratings

If someone can compare the differences, that would be great.

Thanks

Braaap

Base
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Base
Does anyone know the ply number on the stock Sasquatch tires?
The factory Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT 315/70R17 tire ply (taken from the sidewall) "Plies Tread 2 POLYESTER 2 STEEL 1 POLYAMIDE & Sidewall 2 POLYESTER"
Sponsored