Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all

After seeing a few others powdercoat their OBX wheels, I decided to follow along. The PC guys calls this Matte Black. It isn't really flat or matte...it just is NOT glossy. It has a smooth finish. Cost was $125 per wheel.

I went with BFG KO's in 255/70r18 which is the stock OBX size. These were available in a "D" rated tire. I was avoiding the taller "E" tire as did not want to change the highway characteristics too much. There is zero difference in ride quality from the stock Bridgstone Duellers. Very happy with the setup and how it turned out!

20220311_153640 (2).jpg

20220311_153659 (2).jpg
Sponsored

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
How’s the proportion of the tire to the wheel well look in person with the new tires vs OEM? I was gonna go up to 33”+ but now rethinking. Spoke with my tire guy, and he does not recommend E load on lighter vehicles such as Bronco and Jeeps.

BTW, powder coating does change the whole look of the OBX rims for the better. I’m pretty sure I‘m going to keep stock as the pin stripping from rocks whatnot won’t show as badly.

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looks great!

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
they look so much better....now I'm wondering what a set of Sasquatch wheels in a dark bronze would run.

Sponsored
OP
OP

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How’s the proportion of the tire to the wheel well look in person with the new tires vs OEM? I was gonna go up to 33”+ but now rethinking. Spoke with my tire guy, and he does not recommend E load on lighter vehicles such as Bronco and Jeeps.

BTW, powder coating does change the whole look of the OBX rims for the better. I’m pretty sure I‘m going to keep stock as the pin stripping from rocks whatnot won’t show as badly.
So I think these BFG's look better proportioned than the stock Duellers. The Duellers have a rounded profile while the BFG's have a squared boxy look. It is night and day difference. I do think this size is the smallest you would want to go and still look agressive. 33's probably fill the wheel well a smidgeon better but I did not think the trade off to go to "E" was worth it. So many trade off's and I kept going back and forth. Comfort won in the end and I promise you 1/2" of clearance off roading (if I went with the 33's) is negligible.

EquusBronsis

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Porsche Macan GTS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So I think these BFG's look better proportioned than the stock Duellers. The Duellers have a rounded profile while the BFG's have a squared boxy look. It is night and day difference. I do think this size is the smallest you would want to go and still look agressive. 33's probably fill the wheel well a smidgeon better but I did not think the trade off to go to "E" was worth it. So many trade off's and I kept going back and forth. Comfort won in the end and I promise you 1/2" of clearance off roading (if I went with the 33's) is negligible.
Thanks, pretty much my thoughts as I keep going back and forth. Good information on tire profile! BTW, General Grabber ATX 33” is available in SL load.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hi all

After seeing a few others powdercoat their OBX wheels, I decided to follow along. The PC guys calls this Matte Black. It isn't really flat or matte...it just is NOT glossy. It has a smooth finish. Cost was $125 per wheel.

I went with BFG KO's in 255/70r18 which is the stock OBX size. These were available in a "D" rated tire. I was avoiding the taller "E" tire as did not want to change the highway characteristics too much. There is zero difference in ride quality from the stock Bridgstone Duellers. Very happy with the setup and how it turned out!

Ford Bronco Powdercoated my Outer Banks (OBX) wheels! 20220311_153659 (2)

Ford Bronco Powdercoated my Outer Banks (OBX) wheels! 20220311_153659 (2)
looks very nice

GRENDIZER

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer Walking 🚶‍♂️. ‘23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It has an old school Defender 90 vibe going for it. Love the look! Well done.

bniknar

Big Bend
First Name
Bri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An old EcoDriver
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Did you have to get new tpms sensors? Or did you keep the ones that came with the original tires?

Sponsored

wally

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Wonderful choice of tires---what a difference!!! Two thumbs up!!!

OP
OP

KDTX

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4-door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you have to get new tpms sensors? Or did you keep the ones that came with the original tires?
I had the tires removed at crummy tire shop. They were so confused cause they were just taking them off. Charged me $15 for all 5. Took them up there with one of our flatbed trucks, Bronco was on stands in our shop. Kept original sensors. Had them powder coated. Had an appointment so it was done complete in 3 days. Took to Discount Tire for remount and balance with original sensors for $115.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

these are what stock badlands tires look like on my OBX. I think 285/70 They claim 32.8”. Stock height
Ford Bronco Powdercoated my Outer Banks (OBX) wheels! C81C68C2-B833-4CF2-A3FC-EC49FE688B1B

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine are getting done right now. I chose glossy. Wish I'd seen yours first, they look amazing. Now I'm questioning my choice :p

Last edited:

ocbucks1

Outer Banks
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyta
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi all

Ford Bronco Powdercoated my Outer Banks (OBX) wheels! C81C68C2-B833-4CF2-A3FC-EC49FE688B1B

Perfect. I have a 4 door silver. I’m going to do this.
Sponsored