First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Let's hope that someone comes out with an aftermarket steel cowling. Ford should be ashamed of the cheap plastic one their engineer's designed.
Sponsored

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Let's hope that someone comes out with an aftermarket steel cowling. Ford should be ashamed of the cheap plastic one their engineer's designed.
I work at a tint shop and clean windshields almost every day and can’t remember seeing any new or fairly new vehicles that have a medal cowling unless maybe it was a wrangler. I also am in Florida where its hot a sh!t most of the year and I have been fortunate enough to not have this issue. Anyway, hope Ford helps anyone that has been affected by this issue.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I work at a tint shop and clean windshields almost every day and can’t remember seeing any new or fairly new vehicles that have a medal cowling unless maybe it was a wrangler. I also am in Florida where its hot a sh!t most of the year and I have been fortunate enough to not have this issue. Anyway, hope Ford helps anyone that has been affected by this issue.
You are probably right, but still hopefully someone will produce one that is more heat resistant!

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine did it yesterday in 85 degree weather 🤬

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I called dealership July 11 and made appointment for the July 25th, tomorrow. They told me to either not drive it or to duct tape it down. I ended up heating it up with my heat gun then using two small screws through the tabs into the plastic housing the tabs are supposed to snap into. I'm waiting for the dealership to give me shit for doing it but I parked it out in the direct sun at over 90deg and it stayed put! The screws are below the hood so you can't see them until you open the hood

Sponsored

garyseven

Outer Banks
First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2023 apologies for this late update: but I went to another dealer 10 minutes further and they covered it ….Ken Wilson Ford ( a dealer i had never been to for anything!!) they ordered it and installed the new cowling a couple days later….

bottom line is try several dealers…. it isnt Ford but the service managers call… Ford will pay them for this
as many have pointed out it is the design of tab a being too short to get a solid hold in slot b….. they simply cant hold when the plastic starts to bow up….. IMO!
Ford must have improved the part which would explain why so many are reporting no issue…. hooray.

2022…. Just left Taylor Ford in waynesville nc. They denied replacing it because…. I had the audacity to put an accessory (ditch lights) on the mount where Ford had noted, “accessory ready”. Kinda pissed. The lights are mounted to the outside part that separate from the defective center part! Gonna call dealer I bought from and will add note if get resolution….

Ford Bronco PSA Warning: Do Not open hood in hot weather image

Last edited:

GDI

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just went out this afternoon to check the dipstick on my 2.7l to see if Ford installed the wrong one. It was a blistering 80 degrees and the hood wouldn’t open and I heard a crunching sound - my cowling had warped and is now distorted and blocks the hood opening.

I did get the hood open by placing a small block under it so I could hold the cowl down to lift the hood from the side - and or course staring me in the face was a big bold “H” on top of the dipstick.

So I scored a twofer - I’ll need a new cowl and a new dipstick. Gotta love Fords

Louis

Wildtrak
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda accord exl v6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not covered under warranty?
20662"]
Nope. I'm suddenly pissed off about that seeing as its happening quite frequently now. I think a conversation with my service manager is in order..
[/QUOTE]
This happened to me when I got home from the dealership from picking it up. They didn’t have the center tabs snapped down and when i opened it, the hood caught it and pulled it out further and cracked the plastic. Luckily Ford had them in stock and sent one the next day.

Louis

Wildtrak
First Name
lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda accord exl v6
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
20662"]
Nope. I'm suddenly pissed off about that seeing as its happening quite frequently now. I think a conversation with my service manager is in order..
This happened to me when I got home from the dealership from picking it up. They didn’t have the center tabs snapped down and when i opened it, the hood caught it and pulled it out further and cracked the plastic. Luckily Ford had them in stock and sent one the next day.
[/QUOTE]
Then I had a recall on the windshield with bad epoxy and took it in to Towne Ford in Orchard Park and it was fixed the next day! Great dealership in New York!

adrencg

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had the same issue. I'm going to get the part myself and see if I can do the work. Or is this a tricky install since it's so close to the windshield?

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dealer replaced mine under warranty without issue, and I installed ditch lights and modified the cowl for the wires to pass through. They didn’t modify the new piece for the wires, so I modified the new one when I got home. I doubt they would be willing to do it again if it happens a second time, so I I’ll just be careful when opening the hood moving forward.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I open my hood every day (I hang a light under the hood to keep the pack rats out), and it’s over 100° every single day. I haven’t had any issues with this…
Maybe his is not properly "seated", snapped in place. I have not had this issue either. ???

Jace 21583

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Anybody have the part # for the cowl?
Sponsored