RMKRubicon

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: '95 YJ. Former: '08 JKR, '99 LC100,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with the majority here: The most important thing for rock crawling and serious off-roading are tires with great traction and ground clearance. Next most important is protection and a rear locker. Everything else helps, but is essentially fluff.

A rig with great tires and great clearance can be navigated through difficult terrain with good driving and good spotting. Add rocker protection and undercarriage protection to minimize vehicle damage. Use the locker for those few spots when you need a bit of extra push from the rear.

There are simple techniques you can learn and use like applying a steady, equal amount of throttle and brake at the same time, and then easing off the brake in order to crawl forward without jerking, which will help maintain traction.

Tires. Clearance. Armor. Traction aids.

Base with Sasquatch is a great way to go.
Sponsored

TellurideBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ignore all the marketing that tells you what you need, and evaluate your “use case” for the Bronco. Based on what you have stated, the base model + Sasquatch will be more than enough. I think you are making a great decision.

Good off-road tires such as Duratrac, or K02, combined with low range will be enough for 99.5% of the conditions. Next up is a rear locker for the other 0.5% of the conditions that most people will never experience.

IIISHIFTYIII

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JK Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

...and as a Rubicon owner with two lockers: don't be too anxious to engage those lockers. Use the rear when you really don't think you'll make it without and use the front only when needed, then think long and hard about whether you'll be able to get back out.
This is great advice. Lockers and 35"s as I stated before will get you into situations that you feel uncomfortable in. But they are equally as likely to get you into areas that will eventually produce obstacles that you cannot clear. Always be aware of your limitations and try to stay 10% below that.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Bronco, Honda si, cj7, 68 Shelby,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ignore all the marketing that tells you what you need, and evaluate your “use case” for the Bronco. Based on what you have stated, the base model + Sasquatch will be more than enough. I think you are making a great decision.

Good off-road tires such as Duratrac, or K02, combined with low range will be enough for 99.5% of the conditions. Next up is a rear locker for the other 0.5% of the conditions that most people will never experience.
Thanks, the time without the B&P gave me a chance to step back and put my goal in perspective. Going Base with the Sasquatch and no frills is going to give me some breathing room for later upgrades.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That’s what I would get if this bronco was for me and not the wife.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I’m a newbie and not shy about it! That is why I wanted to hear from all of you first hand your experiences and thoughts on high tech Options and the beginner. Thanks!

Air Force cadets learn in gliders before they get one with all the gadgetry, .... learn the basics first. ;)

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A little along that line is when learning to dive the instructor made us figure everything out with charts and then when we mastered that we were able to use the dive computer.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A little along that line is when learning to dive the instructor made us figure everything out with charts and then when we mastered that we were able to use the dive computer.
Oh , man, I've never dived, but a friend kept me updated as he was going to classes....talk about some important stuff to master!!!

I recall somethng about even at a depth as shallow as three feet, let your air out as you rise. I guess the air expands and can burst your lungs or something??

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s absolutely indescribable until you experience on your own! It’s been a good many years since I’ve last gone but definitely hope to get back to it. If you ever get a chance go for it!

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
for me, just dipping my big toe into overlanding (not camping)

What's the difference?

Serious question. I'm old. This "overlanding" seems to just be camping along an offroad trail to me.

Pretty sure it's just a marketing term. It was probably coined by some advertising executive who hasn't been camping since 5th grade fat camp.

Last edited:

buildbigboats

Black Diamond
First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks, the time without the B&P gave me a chance to step back and put my goal in perspective. Going Base with the Sasquatch and no frills is going to give me some breathing room for later upgrades.
Might also check out a no additional option MT Black Diamond. Not sure of your budget, transmission preference etc but BD might be a solid choice for you as well.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the difference?

Serious question. I'm old. This "overlanding" seems to just be camping along an offroad trail to me.

Pretty sure it's just a marketing term. It was probably coined by some advertising executive who hasn't been camping since 5th grade fat camp.
Camping doesn't sound as cool though. The journey and off roading with a vehicle in combo with camping is what people mean by overlanding.

Hey it's a weight loss retreat not fat camp. :LOL:

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What's the difference?

Overlanding used to be self reliant, longer distance travel, through tough and remote terrain. See something like the Camel Trophy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy

I always think overlanding is trans-continental... Off the beaten track. World travel.

The overlanding that you usually read about now on forums and sites like this is sort of the same idea but more about running a trail and camping out.

Its been super-commercialized lately and has become a bit of a buzzword.
Sponsored