First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Camping doesn't sound as cool though. The journey and off roading with a vehicle in combo with camping is what people mean by overlanding.

Hey it's a weight loss retreat not fat camp. :LOL:
Cool factor matters. To some.

Overlanding used to be self reliant, longer distance travel, through tough and remote terrain. See something like the Camel Trophy. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Trophy

I always think overlanding is trans-continental... Off the beaten track. World travel.

The overlanding that you usually read about now on forums and sites like this is sort of the same idea but more about running a trail and camping out.

Its been super-commercialized lately and has become a bit of a buzzword.
Gotcha, overlanders are like the ricers of the import scene.
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Gotcha, overlanders are like the ricers of the import scene.
I wouldn't quite go that far.

But I feel it's been a bit watered down. I see a lot guys that just want to buy and show of their stuff. Which is fine.

Maybe I just have a different idea of what the word means.

There's a book called First Overland: London to Singapore by Land Rover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/336877.First_Overland

Well worth the read. Gives some insight into what I think overlanding is.

Anyway... Sort of off topic on a tangent here. Sorry.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

But I feel it's been a bit watered down. I see a lot guys that just want to buy and show of their stuff. Which is fine.

There's a book called First Overland: London to Singapore by Land Rover. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/336877.First_Overland

Might check that out. Thanks.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Bronco, Honda si, cj7, 68 Shelby,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Might also check out a no additional option MT Black Diamond. Not sure of your budget, transmission preference etc but BD might be a solid choice for you as well.
Yes, I’ve been up and down with the trims with the exception of the wildtrak. Now I’m thinking base with Sasquatch and the 2.7 and automatic but not sure if I should upgrade to the fancy auto transfercase. Also, does anyone know if the traction control is standard on the base if you don’t want the auto transfer case upgrade and how does it work with four wheel drive?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, I’ve been up and down with the trims with the exception of the wildtrak. Now I’m thinking base with Sasquatch and the 2.7 and automatic but not sure if I should upgrade to the fancy auto transfercase. Also, does anyone know if the traction control is standard on the base if you don’t want the auto transfer case upgrade and how does it work with four wheel drive?
Tranction control is mandatory on vehicles.

Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi everyone, I have always been fascinated with the people that take their rigs places where few people are brave enough to go. The video of the Broncos traveling the Rubicon was incredible and started me to wonder if any one of you would attempt (I’m thinking capability wise) to traverse a difficult trail, not necessarily the Rubicon but definitely not one for the beginner in a base four door Bronco that has been optioned, let’s say only with the Sasquatch, 2.7, auto and that’s it, no advanced 4x4 engagement, no trail assist, no trail-one pedal.

Also, while pretending, let’s add to the vehicle aftermarket undercarriage protection, sliders, upgraded bumpers and manual disconnects. I’m curious to hear if there is anything that you would consider a weak point (goat mode, lack of on demand 4x4, etc.) of the Base Bronco to keep you from attempting it?
I would say base with Sasquatch is all you need. I have done John Bull trail in big bear and 35's with lockers was plenty.
You don't even need much power for rock crawling .
Go with some buddies and another truck so you can pull each other out if you get stuck.
Not that I always stick to my own rules, I have done the Miller jeep trail by myself.
As a warning the Miller jeep trail is still much harder then normal the winter rains messed it up and with covid no one has been out there to work on it.
I am most likely to get a base with Sasquatch, 2.3 with the 7 speed. I really don't have the money for anything else. But I plan on doing Rubicon level trails.
One big secret is using the right tire pressure for the type of trail. You can double your traction with taking some air out of your tires. 12 psi is good for a lot of places if you have big tires. But for soft sand go lower like 8 psi. With out knowing how heavy the new bronco is this is just a guess.
Use a narrow rim so the tire does not come off the bead.
I love seeing new trails and I have taken every vehicle I have owned off the pavement.

OP
OP

Somebody

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 Bronco, Honda si, cj7, 68 Shelby,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would say base with Sasquatch is all you need. I have done John Bull trail in big bear and 35's with lockers was plenty.
You don't even need much power for rock crawling .
Go with some buddies and another truck so you can pull each other out if you get stuck.
Not that I always stick to my own rules, I have done the Miller jeep trail by myself.
As a warning the Miller jeep trail is still much harder then normal the winter rains messed it up and with covid no one has been out there to work on it.
I am most likely to get a base with Sasquatch, 2.3 with the 7 speed. I really don't have the money for anything else. But I plan on doing Rubicon level trails.
One big secret is using the right tire pressure for the type of trail. You can double your traction with taking some air out of your tires. 12 psi is good for a lot of places if you have big tires. But for soft sand go lower like 8 psi. With out knowing how heavy the new bronco is this is just a guess.
Use a narrow rim so the tire does not come off the bead.
I love seeing new trails and I have taken every vehicle I have owned off the pavement.
I appreciate all the advice, I definitely won’t be attempting the Miller or the rubicon, but I do want to go a little further off the trail than most people and spend sometime (off grid). I just didn’t want to order a base Sasquatch and then in 2 years look back and wish I had ordered it with advanced auto-on-demand and the other (aids).
I think I’m underestimating the Bronco base with only the Sasquatch option capabilities. Save some green for the accessories (Ursa minor?).

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The plus to the on demand T-case is the lower gear ratio, but I'm not sure what that unit will cost, so I can't make an educated call as to its value.

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

For me the key components to have are the tallest tires available, auto trans, and lockers. If you have the driving skills those will take you most anywhere. The auto trans is a personal preference for off-roading.

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
I appreciate all the advice, I definitely won’t be attempting the Miller or the rubicon, but I do want to go a little further off the trail than most people and spend sometime (off grid). I just didn’t want to order a base Sasquatch and then in 2 years look back and wish I had ordered it with advanced auto-on-demand and the other (aids).
I think I’m underestimating the Bronco base with only the Sasquatch option capabilities. Save some green for the accessories (Ursa minor?).
Advance Auto on demand will be really useful for driving in the snow on pavement.
For me it depends on pricing. I can do the trails I want with out advanced on demand transfer case and it does not snow much here , but it would be nice to have.
A lot to think about when build and price come out.

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base

A good travelogue is from 1937 "The Road to Oxiana" Even mentions Ford vehicles a few times. http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks14/1403301h.html

For the thread topic I could deal with a base 4-dr non-squatch offroading, been to many awesome places without lockers just open diffs with 4LO and a pair of balls. Would certainly go aftermarket with taller tires for ground clearance, but being a cheapskate I'd like to try a Base without the Squatch.

Last edited: