First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I’m hoping to get a Builder to make one or both of these ideas.

1. Using the roof rack mounting spots on the windshield, incorporate a square bar mount. I would think this would be so easy to do. Almost like a light bar but it would be a straight roof rack bar. Then have something that creates a second bar that comes off of the rear wheel or swing gate.

2. I’ve seen those roof rack cages that fold back so you can open your soft top. I’m expecting to see something like that soon. Maybe incorporating the windshield attachment points for the front. However, what I really want is a just roof rack over the rear part of the truck. have the ability to fold back to put the top all the way down. but out of the way enough so you can still flip the soft top in the first position without having to move the rack.

Might be easier to explain in pictures. See below.

8246E516-83C8-4ED8-A18E-77C2395D61FF.jpeg

6FE58D44-0BAA-4C5D-8876-E19A383A9BE6.jpeg
Sponsored

Idaho-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Checkout 4WP Bronco. Similar design but no info about it

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Filson Bronco had a pretty sweet setup. Not sure how solid those front mounts are, does anyone know what kind of structure is under the cowl?
Ford Bronco Rack ideas for a soft top Ford_Filson_Bronco_Wildland_Fire_Rig_concept_4
Ford Bronco Rack ideas for a soft top Filson Bronco Wildland Fire Rig Concept 20
Ford Bronco Rack ideas for a soft top 2022 Filson Bronco Wildland Fire Rig Concept 10

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting idea, I haven't seen a roof rack that folds out of the way for soft tops, will have to look into that. I guess the question is, what are you planning to use it for?

Depending on your use case there might be other (cheaper) solutions that may not require a welder. Is it for cargo (or bicycles)? If so have you considered some of those hitch cargo baskets (or bike racks) that you can add the fold out hitch attachment that way you can get the basket out of the way enough to open the door. (there's another thread on here that I mentioned something about those, so you can take a look at my posts to see that one).

If it's for boards, I've got a paddleboard at home and an order in for a soft top 4 door and I was pretty impressed by the riptide concept where they had what looked like cheap protectors over the cross bars that worked for the 2 surf boards. Admittedly they only had the bimini on with it, but honestly, I can't picture myself going out with the board in weather where I'd need the full soft top for rain.

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Checkout 4WP Bronco. Similar design but no info about it
Yep, have that link saved. But that is a full length roof rack. I just need to carry a kayak. So a small rack over the rear clamshell area would be great. Also to be able to flip the soft top back to position 1 anytime I want without the hassle of moving the rack would be a bonus.
Maybe I should invent this and sell it on my own🤔

Sponsored

Idaho-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC Sierra 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep, have that link saved. But that is a full length roof rack. I just need to carry a kayak. So a small rack over the rear clamshell area would be great. Also to be able to flip the soft top back to position 1 anytime I want without the hassle of moving the rack would be a bonus.
Maybe I should invent this and sell it on my own🤔
That’d be a sweet size for rotopacks or recovery gear too.

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Interesting idea, I haven't seen a roof rack that folds out of the way for soft tops, will have to look into that. I guess the question is, what are you planning to use it for?
see video:

I would be using it for kayak.

Would love to see some options.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I’m hoping to get a Builder to make one or both of these ideas.

1. Using the roof rack mounting spots on the windshield, incorporate a square bar mount. I would think this would be so easy to do. Almost like a light bar but it would be a straight roof rack bar. Then have something that creates a second bar that comes off of the rear wheel or swing gate.

2. I’ve seen those roof rack cages that fold back so you can open your soft top. I’m expecting to see something like that soon. Maybe incorporating the windshield attachment points for the front. However, what I really want is a just roof rack over the rear part of the truck. have the ability to fold back to put the top all the way down. but out of the way enough so you can still flip the soft top in the first position without having to move the rack.

Might be easier to explain in pictures. See below.

8246E516-83C8-4ED8-A18E-77C2395D61FF.jpeg

6FE58D44-0BAA-4C5D-8876-E19A383A9BE6.jpeg
I'll be building that front windshield rack for 2 pairs of ski's.
I built a similar one for the sport.

I'll post something once my day 2 8am EST reservation lands me a full sized bronco...

Ford Bronco Rack ideas for a soft top 1629839966228

Ford Bronco Rack ideas for a soft top 1629839981234

stm378

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
see video:

I would be using it for kayak.

Would love to see some options.
That's wild, I've seen those on Jeeps before but had no idea about the extra steps that could be done to push back the soft top. I'm guessing you probably want to be able to take your kayak on longer trips, in which case something like that makes sense because you probably wouldn't want to risk the elements on a longer trip, but if you're just taking it to the nearest body of water, would what they had on the riptide work for you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's wild, I've seen those on Jeeps before but had no idea about the extra steps that could be done to push back the soft top. I'm guessing you probably want to be able to take your kayak on longer trips, in which case something like that makes sense because you probably wouldn't want to risk the elements on a longer trip, but if you're just taking it to the nearest body of water, would what they had on the riptide work for you?
i go in all weather including very cold days so it would not be ideal to have the soft top down to carry the kayak. Also I would want to add attachments for carrying fishing poles.

the closest I’ve seen are the baskets that mount behind the spare tire. I saw the one that mounts in the trailer hitch but the problem with that is I would have no access to the truck. And because I will have the rear cargo enclosure, it will be unusable.

2CD12544-4137-471D-9103-7A78AF8247E5.jpeg

C1D78CDC-4DCB-4E45-8BC0-65729A1097B3.jpeg

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
if you are interested in under the soft top racks, I would keep an eye on this. Maybe they will come up with one for a bronco.
I wonder if it would work to lay the kayak over the soft top with that rack supporting it underneath. Would need to lay a towel or something to save the top. Also figure out how to tie it down.

5CCABED0-AB19-46B5-917E-B34DE83ADCB3.jpeg

amccue90

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BandofEskimoBrothers

Black Diamond
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you considered a small trailer instead of a vehicle rack? It would cost more, but they do make them specifically for kayaks and water sport toys.

No special fabrication or worrying about conflicted usage of the top.

OP
OP
TommyBronco

TommyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you considered a small trailer instead of a vehicle rack? It would cost more, but they do make them specifically for kayaks and water sport toys.

No special fabrication or worrying about conflicted usage of the top.
problem is where I park they don’t allow trailers. But yeah that would be the easiest.
Sponsored