First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Defender / 1985 Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ran mine to the glovebox prewire and switch 6. Cable tucks behind the window seal and there is room to fish it to the glovebox. Zero trim removal.

Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap 24699ABC-F04C-4731-9928-B6261F622FF9
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoFrog95

First Edition
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I just purchased this set from Amazon, which includes 3 sizes just in case. But after looking at the mirror today (I have the lux auto dimming version), I am pretty sure it takes the smaller of the three.

I actually bought this same kit for my other two cars a few months ago and used the smallest and middle size taps for them, leaving me the larger one as a spare. However, that larger one is to large for Bronco mirror too, so ording the exact same thing since I know it was a good product and has that smaller diameter version that I think will fit. Plus, this kit of three cost the same (or less) than some with only one tap. I hope this helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Detector-Valentine-Beltronics-Hydencamm/dp/B097MGX318/ref=sr_1_9?crid=12EQ2YALEE3BB&keywords=mirror+tap+radar+detector&qid=1636333794&s=electronics&sprefix=mirror+tap,electronics,201&sr=1-9

Ford Bronco Radar Detector Mirror mount and mirror tap 24699ABC-F04C-4731-9928-B6261F622FF9
@Panzer948 - were you able to get the smallest size pins in this wire tap to fit in your mirror connector?

I had bought the mirror tap from Radar Mount off Amazon. However, their smallest red pin won't fit very well in the same socket as the thick white wire (thought the smallest black pin fits perfectly). Results in an intermittent drop out of power when it shakes loose.

If you were able to get this brand's smallest pins to work, I'd love to know!

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Panzer948 - were you able to get the smallest size pins in this wire tap to fit in your mirror connector?

I had bought the mirror tap from Radar Mount off Amazon. However, their smallest red pin won't fit very well in the same socket as the thick white wire (thought the smallest black pin fits perfectly). Results in an intermittent drop out of power when it shakes loose.

If you were able to get this brand's smallest pins to work, I'd love to know!
Yes, went in with no problem. It's pretty cheap on Amazon too!

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread throws me back to my days in training in Richmond (radar detectors illegal in VA). I had an Alfa spider that I had carved out a cavity in the drivers head rest in which to conceal a hard wired unit with an on/off switch between the seats. That was before the days of “radar detector detectors”.

ddivinia

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I ran mine to the glovebox prewire and switch 6. Cable tucks behind the window seal and there is room to fish it to the glovebox. Zero trim removal.

That is cool. How does that work? I don't have my bronco yet. Can I leave switch 6 on and it will come on and off with the key? Are the wires easy to get to? I was going to do the mirror tap but maybe this is a good call.

I saw the plugs for the USB, etc. With the V1 would work with that connection.

Thanks,
D.

Sponsored

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is cool. How does that work? I don't have my bronco yet. Can I leave switch 6 on and it will come on and off with the key? Are the wires easy to get to? I was going to do the mirror tap but maybe this is a good call.

I saw the plugs for the USB, etc. With the V1 would work with that connection.

Thanks,
D.
Yes, The switches are ignition controlled.

The wires are easy, just took a little finger gymnastics to unwrap the tape.

For the Uniden the USB would not put out enough power (only 5v) which I think is the same for the V1.

I find it really nice to just be able to flip it on and off for time where you are stuck in town with a lot of K band or an officer is following you, etc. (plus my wife doesn't use it and kept unplugging it...)

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

V1 also has a remote display if I recall correctly. Hide detector, place display where you mant.
The remote display doesn't have the sensors on it, to my understanding -- you'd still need the back of the main unit to have clear view of the windshield, and the front of the unit a clear view of the rear window.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only used add-a-fuse taps where you're essentially creating a separate, fused circuit -- how do you handle the added current draw to the mirror without potentially blowing its fuse?

edit: looks like the interior mirror is on Fuse 37 according to fuse-box.info but who knows how accurate that is

Fuse 3720A fuseAuto-dimming interior mirror; Parking assist control module; Heated steering wheel

That circuit, especially the heated steering wheel, looks like it pulls a decent amount of current -- anyone have an idea if the auto-dimming mirror has a separate fuse somewhere that would blow before blowing fuse 37 and disabling the parking assist module, etc?

ddivinia

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am planning on installing a Valentine 1.

Thanks,
D.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've only used add-a-fuse taps where you're essentially creating a separate, fused circuit -- how do you handle the added current draw to the mirror without potentially blowing its fuse?

edit: looks like the interior mirror is on Fuse 37 according to fuse-box.info but who knows how accurate that is

Fuse 3720A fuseAuto-dimming interior mirror; Parking assist control module; Heated steering wheel

That circuit, especially the heated steering wheel, looks like it pulls a decent amount of current -- anyone have an idea if the auto-dimming mirror has a separate fuse somewhere that would blow before blowing fuse 37 and disabling the parking assist module, etc?
I don't think this is a problem or maybe I am not understanding what your concern is. I have been running my new Valentine now for a couple of months on the auto dimmer circuit (using mirror taps) and have had no blown fuses. I have the same setup in two other cars for years and never blown a fuse in them either. They both draw very little to be of a real concern. I hope that puts things at ease.

Sponsored

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are radar detectors even a thing anymore, along with pagers? .......
My question exactly. I haven't had a radar detector since the 1980s or maybe early 1990s......seems like a waste of money and an antiquated concept.

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My question exactly. I haven't had a radar detector since the 1980s or maybe early 1990s......seems like a waste of money and an antiquated concept.
Not antiquated at all. Until police start to use something other than radar (which they still do 99% of the time) then radar is another tool to keep us in check ;). I had one in the late 80s to 90s too and the newer models are 10 times better than those. When you combine a good radar detector that has false alarm filters/lockouts with Waze, you are covered fairly well. I haven't had a ticket (knock on wood) in 15 years and I am no light foot. Always remember the cost of the detector easily pays for itself if it saves you one ticket...

Last edited:

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not at all a waste of money, has saved me thousands. Depends on where you live, what and how you drive.

HideoutBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not a lot of people use Waze out in the country. V1 saves me a lot.

All depends on the location.

D.
And Waze will only work if someone else sees them and if they bother to log them. I use Waze but in no way rely on it.
Sponsored