Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 C-10, 2022 Black Diamond, 2007 Harley Davidso
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it too difficult to just reach for the wiper button and turn them on when it's raining?
I have the driver sensing wipers. Rain of window= on, no rain on the window=off. Pretty simple, look through the window and turn the switch. 😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was in Forscan and noticed the rain sensor setting in SCCM was disabled. So, I enabled it. Am I being naïve that this will turn on rain sensing wipers? Is this for something else?

1640898890041.png
So, no luck with this so far. I used a hose to simulate rain and there was no sensing on any wiper setting. I'm going to leave the setting on until I can test while driving.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Have you all seen the wiper thread where the OP claims there is a serious safety flaw in the system?
He shows a vid with his wipers on high and they automatically start slowing down the go into intermittent.
All of this while the windshield was dry.
I'm wondering if the wiper motors have load sensing maybe? I asked the OP to try the same test while soaking the windshield with a garden hose 🤷
Would maybe be a nice option, especially if you park the night before with the wipers on and they freeze to the windshield lol
I just experienced this tonight, much to my dismay as it was freezing drizzle at 22F. On low they would slow so intermittent, had to run them on high to keep the window clear. Got the link to the other thread? I came up empty handed searching. Definitely a problem for me.

SwissBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, JL, Hummer H1,
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wrangler JL also has no auto wiper option, I was told its because its an off-road vehicle and in the mud... You don't want your wipers to activate by themselves.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Last edited:

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It’s theoretically capable. The camera module that’s present in every Bronco trim is capable of the rain sensing.
I'm seeing that even on the 2020 F150 and Ranger, the rain sensing is still a separate sensor. I'm not an expert but I'd imagine the cameras are a fixed long focus that wouldn't easily see tiny drops of water right in front of the lens.

As far as stalks are concerned, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if literally the only difference is the word 'AUTO' being printed on the stalk. The delay detents become sensitivity when in rain-sensing mode, but are traditional delays when in traditional mode.

If I had my Bronco, I'd definitely investigate wiring it in. The rain sensor cover from a Flex or Expedition would do a good job making it look factory.

Given it's available on the Ranger, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Bronco. Another insane omission by Ford, alongside adjustable petals.

I've noticed the wipers slowing down while driving in the rain, but wasn't sure if I was imagining it.
Super confusing because there is no automatic wiper setting (something I miss for same reasons as stated above).
They're likely still speed sensitive. Ford's been doing that for a while -- it even appears on my 2010 Milan's window sticker which does not have rain sensing.

Last edited:

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm seeing that even on the 2020 F150 and Ranger, the rain sensing is still a separate sensor. I'm not an expert but I'd imagine the cameras are a fixed long focus that wouldn't easily see tiny drops of water right in front of the lens.

As far as stalks are concerned, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if literally the only difference is the word 'AUTO' being printed on the stalk. The delay detents become sensitivity when in rain-sensing mode, but are traditional delays when in traditional mode.

If I had my Bronco, I'd definitely investigate wiring it in. The rain sensor cover from a Flex or Expedition would do a good job making it look factory.

Given it's available on the Ranger, I don't see why it wouldn't work on the Bronco. Another insane omission by Ford, alongside adjustable petals.

They're likely still speed sensitive. Ford's been doing that for a while -- it even appears on my 2010 Milan's window sticker which does not have rain sensing.
Not so sure about the stalk. My Escape had no intermittent, and q separate ring to adjust sensitivity for the auto sensing, if I remember correctly. Swapping stalks would be simple enough

JakeC

Badlands
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Not so sure about the stalk. My Escape had no intermittent, and q separate ring to adjust sensitivity for the auto sensing, if I remember correctly. Swapping stalks would be simple enough
Curious, what year/market was this? It seems odd for Ford to have rain sensing but not intermittent.

Sponsored

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No need for intermittent when the wipers are automatic! Lol🤷
Well you never know, lol. Flex supported both, if you disable rain sensing in the IPC then the 'auto sensitivity' positions became intermittent speeds. It's possible yours was the same -- if you never disable rain sensing, it never comes up.

I always find it interesting how a manufacturer will slightly change the same basic function between various models.

OP
OP
Stonetree

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was in Forscan and noticed the rain sensor setting in SCCM was disabled. So, I enabled it. Am I being naïve that this will turn on rain sensing wipers? Is this for something else?

1640898890041.png
Well, this officially made no difference. I drove in the rain today and there was no auto-sensing going on.

Bee Bop

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Badlands, 02 Mustang GT Vert, 91 S10
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 2016 Mustang had rain sensing wipers. For the Rain sensing function to work you had to have them in the Intermitent detent on the wiper switch, then you could adjust the sensitivity using the intermitent wheel. If the switch was in the off position the wipers were turned off it didn't mattter if it was raining or not. The low and high functions were as normal. You could go into the vehicle settings an turn off the rain sensing feature and they would function like regular intermitent wipers.

You probably need to enable more that just the SCCM. you would probabl also have to enable it in the IPC and possible the BCM.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Here in the Seattle area, I often have to adjust the wiper settings probably 50x over a few hours of driving. Highly variable precipitation volume as you move around the region, localized areas of significantly more or less rain. Slow speeds followed by high speeds, etc. It’s not a “set it and forget it” situation if you live somewhere that gets a lot of precipitation.
northeast agrees
Sponsored