Raket Soft Top Roof Rack Review

squid1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We preordered the day it became available last year and received it in March. During that time they made many improvements and the finished product came out so much better than my wife and I could’ve expected.

The Cons:
- Con-ish…It came with a gnarly squeak/rattle coming from the front assembly. HOWEVER, this is a brand new company and it’s hard to expect perfection right out the gate. What is expected is a willingness to communicate and remedy fundamental issues. We’re happy to say we have been in constant contact with Raket who have been incredibly responsive working together to solve the noise. Through some trial and error they have solved the issue and should you order one today, I don’t think the rattle is an issue.

-Wind noise. Im not sure you can expect to buy a roof rack and not have an increase in wind noise. The wind noise it creates while noticeable, is not something we have need to raise our voices to overcome in order to have a conversation.

-Rear windows flap-we’re in the lucky group of people who had a pretty quiet and solid soft top to begin with so the new flap was a bit to get used to. The rear towers create enough of a wind tunnel at higher speeds ~60mph and up, that the flap becomes noticeable. I’m convinced that there’s a fix for it though by adding pressure, perhaps via a foam roll or something similar against the inside rear windows to minimize the flap. Something we’ll be working on this summer.

Pros:
-it’s SOLID. You can tell it’s well made. The basket/rack slides in and out like butter and the rear assembly even when standing all on its own, has almost no play.

-There’s a lot you can do. It’s a basket, flip it and it’s a flat surface rack. The rear assembly tower can be driven with and used without the basket being installed. Molle panels on each tower. Many options.

-Simple to install. Just a lot of parts so takes time but even nut heads can do it. I’m sure of it.

-The basket can be removed/inserted with one person. A strong person (I can do it, my wife cannot). But this is a plus if you don’t always have a second person.

-Soft top functions can easily still be used. Slide out the basket and the soft top can be flipped back while the front assembly and rear tower assembly are still installed. We do not put our soft top all the way back often at all, however if that’s your thing you just remove the tower (takes about 5mins) and you can continue on with putting the soft top into its furthest down position.

-Per the website: 500lb dynamic load capacity and 800lb static. The roof box on ours in the pic, is large and has sleeping bags, tent, various camping equipment, and camp chairs. No issues with any of that. We’ll be testing out our kayaks this summer but with how solid the rack seems, we don’t expect any issues. Others who have this rack have various types of RRTs and as far as I know, no issues with those.

IMG_3790.jpeg
IMG_3789.jpeg
IMG_3788.jpeg
IMG_3703.jpeg

IMG_3704.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

EdVA

Badlands
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the review! I’ve been on the fence about getting one of these racks. Sounds like they’re well built and functional. Looks good! Thanks again.

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How difficult is it to remove and reinstall? I would consider that for family trips.

Texasliam

Badlands
First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How does that roof box install?

OP
OP
squid1

squid1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How difficult is it to remove and reinstall? I would consider that for family trips.
If you’re just talking about removal of the basket itself it’s very quick. Remove 4 bolts and slide it out. This leaves the front assembly and rear tower assembly still on the vehicle- which you can drive with, so not necessary to remove. If you wish to remove the front assembly you remove 4 nuts & washers and lift it off. For rear tower: remove 10 bolts and lift it off. Not long at all.

Sponsored
OP
OP
squid1

squid1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How does that roof box install?
It’s a typical Yakima. 4 hooks that you slide onto the rails and tighten down. If you google Yakima roof box I think most of them are the same.

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

looks like it may work for me. who makes it?

SuicidalSmurf

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Velocity Blue Base Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Base
We preordered the day it became available last year and received it in March. During that time they made many improvements and the finished product came out so much better than my wife and I could’ve expected.

The Cons:
- Con-ish…It came with a gnarly squeak/rattle coming from the front assembly. HOWEVER, this is a brand new company and it’s hard to expect perfection right out the gate. What is expected is a willingness to communicate and remedy fundamental issues. We’re happy to say we have been in constant contact with Raket who have been incredibly responsive working together to solve the noise. Through some trial and error they have solved the issue and should you order one today, I don’t think the rattle is an issue.

-Wind noise. Im not sure you can expect to buy a roof rack and not have an increase in wind noise. The wind noise it creates while noticeable, is not something we have need to raise our voices to overcome in order to have a conversation.

-Rear windows flap-we’re in the lucky group of people who had a pretty quiet and solid soft top to begin with so the new flap was a bit to get used to. The rear towers create enough of a wind tunnel at higher speeds ~60mph and up, that the flap becomes noticeable. I’m convinced that there’s a fix for it though by adding pressure, perhaps via a foam roll or something similar against the inside rear windows to minimize the flap. Something we’ll be working on this summer.

Pros:
-it’s SOLID. You can tell it’s well made. The basket/rack slides in and out like butter and the rear assembly even when standing all on its own, has almost no play.

-There’s a lot you can do. It’s a basket, flip it and it’s a flat surface rack. The rear assembly tower can be driven with and used without the basket being installed. Molle panels on each tower. Many options.

-Simple to install. Just a lot of parts so takes time but even nut heads can do it. I’m sure of it.

-The basket can be removed/inserted with one person. A strong person (I can do it, my wife cannot). But this is a plus if you don’t always have a second person.

-Soft top functions can easily still be used. Slide out the basket and the soft top can be flipped back while the front assembly and rear tower assembly are still installed. We do not put our soft top all the way back often at all, however if that’s your thing you just remove the tower (takes about 5mins) and you can continue on with putting the soft top into its furthest down position.

-Per the website: 500lb dynamic load capacity and 800lb static. The roof box on ours in the pic, is large and has sleeping bags, tent, various camping equipment, and camp chairs. No issues with any of that. We’ll be testing out our kayaks this summer but with how solid the rack seems, we don’t expect any issues. Others who have this rack have various types of RRTs and as far as I know, no issues with those.
Raket sells the Tower as a standalone now, I'm considering going this route to free up a bit of cargo storage when camping/overlanding. Did you come up with a fix for the flapping windows, or is it something you've gotten used to? I don't think I'm going to go full RTT route, so having a small cargo space on the roof and MOLLE panels for fuel/water could be perfect for my needs, and preserve the ability to retract the roof.

Derick Lee

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi everyone sorry I haven’t been as active on Bronco6G but we’ll be making a concentrated effort to the group where it all started. I’d be more than happy to answer any questions but here’s a few basics:

-We work on either soft or hard top
-We work on 2 or 4 door (including Raptor) options
-We have a static load of 800 and dynamic of 500
-We are removable/reversible/modular

if you want to check us out please visit www.raketdesigns.com

thanks,
Derick

Enlight170.jpeg
Sponsored