First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non-Raptor Bronco and shortly after I got it (about a year ago) I wanted to increase my range by adding a gas can carrier to the tailgate area. Unfortunately, at the time there were no options out there for a kit that was bolt on. Now there are several options out there that can be finagled with to make work, but none of them offered exactly what I was hoping to find. After purchasing a bracket from BAMF, and another from RC, I decided to go a different route and start with replacing the OEM hinges. While reading about the Raptor on this forum, it became evident that in order to accommodate the 37 inch spare and all the intended bouncing around that the Raptor is going to experience, Ford needed to increase the robustness of the tailgate hinges. They also must have noticed the benefit of adding a tailgate bracket to strengthen the overall assembly because they added one of those as well. As soon as I realized that the more robust hinges are direct bolt-ons for non-raptor Broncos like mine, I ordered a set. Ford wanted nearly $300 for each hinge, but there is an online vendor from which you can buy them for about $190 each. I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet metal plate, and then I made a template to make sure that after I installed the new hinges that they would be in correct alignment.

Fortunately I found Hammer built fabrication from this forum, and Tyson kindly posted his cell phone number and I had the opportunity to speak with him about my intended goal of finding a tailgate bracket that would not only work with raptor hinges but also to which I could bolt a fuel can carrier. Hammer Built already makes plates that bolt on to the OEM Ford Bronco hinges, but because the Raptor hinges are about a half inch taller and because the Raptor hinges have separate bolts that attach the hinge to the tailgate and then threaded holes to mount accessories, a new plate had to be configured to accommodate those changes. Lucky for me Tyson was willing to take my measurements and then have a plate made to suit my needs.

I received the plate today, and below I attached some pictures of the finished product. Note that Tyson also has a Scepter MFC carrier in development and that will bolt directly to the tailgate bracket. If you're not a scepter fan, a jerry can is slightly smaller dimensionally then the scepter can so most carriers that will fit a scepter can will also fit a jerry can. I prefer the MFC can because it weighs only 6 lb unlike the 15 lb Jerry cans and the entire goal I was shooting for was less weight on my tailgate and more strength. Even the one-off plate that I received today bolted right up and fits well. Note the threaded PEMs on the bracket to which things can be mounted including various accessories. Finally a simple, clean solution to decrease tailgate rattling or flexing and to be able to mount a fuel carrier and increase your range.

Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183109
Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183116

Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183121
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a non-Raptor Bronco and shortly after I got it (about a year ago) I wanted to increase my range by adding a gas can carrier to the tailgate area. Unfortunately, at the time there were no options out there for a kit that was bolt on. Now there are several options out there that can be finagled with to make work, but none of them offered exactly what I was hoping to find. After purchasing a bracket from BAMF, and another from RC, I decided to go a different route and start with replacing the OEM hinges. While reading about the Raptor on this forum, it became evident that in order to accommodate the 37 inch spare and all the intended bouncing around that the Raptor is going to experience, Ford needed to increase the robustness of the tailgate hinges. They also must have noticed the benefit of adding a tailgate bracket to strengthen the overall assembly because they added one of those as well. As soon as I realize that the more robust hinges are direct bolt-ons for non-raptor Broncos like mine, I ordered a set. Ford wanted nearly $300 for each hinge, but there is an online vendor from which you can buy them for about $190 each. I went to Home Depot and bought a sheet metal plate, and then I made a template to make sure that after I installed the new hinges that they would be incorrect alignment. Fortunately I found Hammer built fabrication from this forum, and Tyson kindly posted his cell phone number and I had the opportunity to speak with him about my intended goal of finding a tailgate bracket that would not only work with raptor hinges but also to which I could bolt a fuel can carrier. Hammerbilt already makes plates that bolt on to the OEM Ford Bronco hinges, but because the Raptor hinges are about a half inch taller and because the Raptor hinges have separate bolts that attach the hinge to the tailgate and then threaded holes to mount accessories, a new plate had to be configured to accommodate those changes. Lucky for me Tyson was willing to take my measurements and then have a plate made to suit my needs. I received the play today, and below I attached some pictures of the finished product. Note that Tyson also has a Scepter MFC carrier in development and that will bolt directly to the tailgate bracket. If you're not a scepter fan, a jerry can is slightly smaller dimensionally then the scepter can so most carriers that will fit a septic can can also fit a jerry can. I prefer the MFC can because it weighs only 6 lb unlike the 15 lb Jerry cans and the entire goal I was shooting for was less weight on my tailgate and more strength. Even the one-off plate that I received today bolted right up and fits well. Note the threaded PEMs on the bracket to which things can be mounted including various accessories. Finally a simple, clean solution to decrease tailgate rattling or flexing and to be able to mount a fuel carrier and increase your range.

Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183121

And these are the additional brackets that can be mounted to the plate to which you can mount things like an antenna or Max tracks or rotopax if you're not a fan of a fuel carrier in a jerry can shape or a Scepter:
Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183916
Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183911
Ford Bronco Raptor Tailgate Hinges installed with Hammerbilt Bracket 20221013_183851

OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And these are the additional brackets that can be mounted to the plate to which you can mount things like an antenna or Max tracks or rotopax if you're not a fan of a fuel carrier in a jerry can shape or a Scepter:
20221013_183916.jpg
20221013_183911.jpg
20221013_183851.jpg
Note that Tyson also can provide Bronco owners with a different hydraulic cylinder for the tailgate that allows it to open only to 90° so that when you do end up mounting your fuel carrier that it won't smash the tail light when you open your tailgate.

Hinge PNs:

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-hinge-assembly-rear-door-n2dz7826800a This is the other

https://www.oemfordpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-hinge-assembly-rear-door-n2dz7842900a

And reach out to Tyson directly for Raptor hinge plate:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/members/doyoubronco.33336/

Last edited:

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Turned out great.

Sponsored
OP
OP
broncorik

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hoping that this becomes available to everyone
I just got off the phone with Tyson...if there is interest they will be available. I just needed to mount it and send the pics to verify fitment. They have the specs programmed and can easily produce as many as needed.

fronc

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 First Edition | 4 Door | Cactus Grey
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

but there is an online vendor from which you can buy them for about $190 each
What's the vendor that sells the hinges? I'm very interested in replacing mine.

Tomfordgt

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F450
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I received my Hammer built tailgate plate last night and will be installing it this weekend. I'll post some pictures.

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What's the vendor that sells the hinges? I'm very interested in replacing mine.
Yes I too am interested in replacing my stock hinges but not at $300 a pop. $190 per is a little more palpable. Thanks @broncorik for taking the initiative to upgrade for non-Raptor Broncos.

Sponsored

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After seeing your struggles in the BAMF post, I applaud you for finding a solution! Looks great, and Hammerbuilt does good work!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I just got off the phone with Tyson...if there is interest they will be available. I just needed to mount it and send the pics to verify fitment. They have the specs programmed and can easily produce as many as needed.
I definitely say yes. I would buy one.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m also interested in a Hammer Built tailgate reinforcement plate that has been adapted for the Braptor gate hinges.
Sponsored