Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm trying to decide between the RC high mount or the hidden mount. I don't really enjoy the look of the winch perched on the front bumper so the hidden mount appeals to me. However, it looks like it might cut into the ground clearance and since I have an unlifted base I don't want to give up any clearance if I don't have to. So, are the photos misleading or daues the mount use up some of my precious clearance? Would a leveling kit make up the difference?
Sponsored

ChiliPepper

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
If you plan on rock crawling, go with the RC high mount. If you are just mudding or roading, then the RC hidden mount may be OK. The hidden mount also requires the intercooler to be relocated. Read the install for both before deciding.

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm trying to decide between the RC high mount or the hidden mount. I don't really enjoy the look of the winch perched on the front bumper so the hidden mount appeals to me. However, it looks like it might cut into the ground clearance and since I have an unlifted base I don't want to give up any clearance if I don't have to. So, are the photos misleading or daues the mount use up some of my precious clearance? Would a leveling kit make up the difference?
I chose the high mount because I was concerned about evenly spooling the line and being able to keep the winch clean. I encounter a lot of mud, so the winch would be caked in that shit with the hidden mount.

The main issue I've read about with the high mount is the frame horns twisting/bending under load. I ordered the Tricky Motorsports 21-23 Bronco Frame Horn Reinforcement Kit to mitigate this.

If you plan on rock crawling, go with the RC high mount. If you are just mudding or roading, then the RC hidden mount may be OK. The hidden mount also requires the intercooler to be relocated. Read the install for both before deciding.
OP has the 7MT 2.3L so no need to relocate anything for the hidden mount.

OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had a chat with a guy at Bronco the Mac who had the bending problem and I believe he was using the tricky dick reinforcement plates. He seemed to think it was a good backup.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I posted somewhere about this and my takeaway is that it cuts into a bit of the approach clearance. I didn't take a bunch of measurements beforehand so I'd have to park next to a stock Badlands to compare the tradeoffs more in depth.

I figured that if I was in mud so deep I couldn't get to the winch, then I should have a buddy to help me out. I have the 2 3L/7spd/Badlands but we've all seen the 2.7L alternator problems. If muddy is on the menu more often for you then consider the high mount or another option. I think the synthetic rope will need to be replaced due to mud, etc. before I have any issues with the winch.

Sponsored

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Mud, what mud ? I bashed mine enough at speed that the winch isn't presently working. Got a new controller via the RC Warranty, diggin into it this Saturday. Still happy I went this direction versus a high mount.

If I were to start from scratch I'd stick the winch in the back and get an exhaust system that will allow them both to co exist back there. Refer to the APG Bronco if you want to look at that.

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount ground clearance, modular bumper baja-front view

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Like squatch says you probably don’t lose much if any clearance but the approach is affected. I have smashed several times in fast whoop sections and it’s still good to go. I was on stock black diamond 2.3 now I added eibach 2.0. Also get a can of steel-it to paint anywhere you cut or grind. Stuff is awesome

OP
OP
Gnomad

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mud, what mud ? I bashed mine enough at speed that the winch isn't presently working. Got a new controller via the RC Warranty, diggin into it this Saturday. Still happy I went this direction versus a high mount.

If I were to start from scratch I'd stick the winch in the back and get an exhaust system that will allow them both to co exist back there. Refer to the APG Bronco if you want to look at that.

Ford Bronco RC hidden winch mount ground clearance, modular bumper baja-front view
Well your Bronco looks to be living its best life!
I hadn't thought of a rear mounted winch. Seems like one would be buying a fair amount of expensive wire to run it, but there is plenty of room if one ditches the stock muffler suitcase. Off to do a search on this subject now. Off into the rabbit hole...

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rebecca Tiffany

Badlands
First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d love to know the clearance difference for a Sasquatch! I really want it but don’t want to affect the clearance too much
Sponsored