Sponsored

Really impressed with Bronco towing vehicle trailer (using custom hitch built for strength)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gramd

Big Bend
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 66 Chevy ll
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Makes me feel better about those times I’ve been “worried” about towing something. If it can do this, god damn
Sponsored

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
So the lesson learned today is fords tow rating is way off?
Did you forget a /s at the end of that?

Tow ratings are based on the extreme situations likely to be encountered on the road. Think hard acceleration, high speeds, wind shear, turning, stomping on the brakes, etc.

Just because this guy could haul a van around town while exceeding his vehicle's rating and his hitch's Class 3 rating, does not mean those ratings are crap. A single emergency stop with a near 7K pound load can easily rip the hitch clean off the rear crossbar on the bronco.

We've seen posts on this forum from people who have bent and damaged that member from towing far less overloaded trailers. People pulling braindead stunts like this puts everyone else on the road in danger.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you forget a /s at the end of that?

Tow ratings are based on the extreme situations likely to be encountered on the road. Think hard acceleration, high speeds, wind shear, turning, stomping on the brakes, etc.

Just because this guy could haul a van around town while exceeding his vehicle's rating and his hitch's Class 3 rating, does not mean those ratings are crap. A single emergency stop with a near 7K pound load can easily rip the hitch clean off the rear crossbar on the bronco.

We've seen posts on this forum from people who have bent and damaged that member from towing far less overloaded trailers. People pulling braindead stunts like this puts everyone else on the road in danger.
Oh I know. Dad almost put a 23’ Grady white through the back of his pick up back in 86 or 87. Wrong grade bolts for the receiver install. Sheered them right off. Emergency trailer brakes and some soft black top saved the day.

Same reason I won’t use a rear which mount on this truck.

Hdscreens

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What did the mpg’s drop to?

Cetacean Sensation

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Bimmer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Oh I know. Dad almost put a 23’ Grady white through the back of his pick up back in 86 or 87. Wrong grade bolts for the receiver install. Sheered them right off. Emergency trailer brakes and some soft black top saved the day.

Same reason I won’t use a rear which mount on this truck.
Sorry for coming down hard like that. There are just so many dumb dumbs on this forum when it comes to stuff like that.

Glad nobody got hurt with that incident! I had a pretty scary one with a rented trailer a couple years back. Two axle car trailer had a wheel fall off...with my car on it!

Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry for coming down hard like that. There are just so many dumb dumbs on this forum when it comes to stuff like that.

Glad nobody got hurt with that incident! I had a pretty scary one with a rented trailer a couple years back. Two axle car trailer had a wheel fall off...with my car on it!
Wow that must have been horrible to see.

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So the lesson learned today is fords tow rating is way off?
No, today we learned that sometimes people do stupid things and it works out.
Broncos should not tow a car trailer. Lucky nothing bad happened with that short wheel base.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Holy crap. I think you should have a separate license to tow or endorsement. This is the reason why. Im not so much concerned for people who tow like this as I am for the family you wipe out doing it. Your eyes alone should tell you not to tow this. Hopefully this is a troll post since its his 1st thread start.

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Honestly I would have just towed it with a one axle tow dolly instead. The van is front wheel drive. It would have been much less stress on the bronco. But realistically I would have rented a truck to tow it or just had someone drive it back.

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
As Chris Rock once said...

"Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's to be done. You can drive a car with your feet if you want to, but that don't make it a good f***in' idea!"

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Really impressed with Bronco towing vehicle trailer (using custom hitch built for strength) 1672634252437

Sometimes the damage isn’t instant. This guy drove overloaded for 25,000 miles before he noticed anything.

amazingjason

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Samurai, 1966 442
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I pulled my Olds 442 from Arizona to Northern CA behind our Silverado on a trailer like that. That was a stressful drive. The truck and trailer are very long and the trailer is so wide it takes the whole lane. It worked out fine, but I don’t look forward to doing it again.

Jason
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.