Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler JK Willy's, 67 Ford Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Adding a rear camera to my JK was one of the best things I did to it. Much easier to see directly behind me. Mine is with the spare just poking out in between the top spokes of the wheel.

On my wife's I actually mounted a small round camera in the bumper just above the hitch. Both work very well and do not stick out as far as the Bronco setup or the new JL setup.
Sponsored

BigCatKale

Everglades
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Everglades / 2021 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Indeed. My buddie's FJ did not have the backup cam, but mine did. Comparing, it was at times challenging just due to rear design and visibility issues right behind you.

Actually looking at this made me think immediately of the FJ's camera and mount as it pretty nearly mirrors it. They came up with covers and 'armor' as the issues mentioned were real and realized pretty early I think.

FJ-CAMERA-COVERb[1].jpg

combatninja

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ND Miata, Land Rover Defender 110, Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That Toyota setup up there^^^ definitely needs to come off prior to removing the tire. So I guess it has some sort of socket inside that plugs the camera? Hopefully you'll remember that you took it off before setting off down the trail. Knowing me, I would think of it 2 hours later.

BigCatKale

Everglades
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Everglades / 2021 Kia Telluride
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

That Toyota setup up there^^^ definitely needs to come off prior to removing the tire. So I guess it has some sort of socket inside that plugs the camera? Hopefully you'll remember that you took it off before setting off down the trail. Knowing me, I would think of it 2 hours later.
Not, mine, but pretty sure that part just overlays the factory mount. Added that pic for better match to the factory Bronco option.

FJ factory camera.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
mtap

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Eyesore seems a bit dramatic to me. Youā€™re gonna need to put the wheel on something anyway

edit: and not meant to be mean, just saying youā€™re gonna have a post there either way

wheel mount for the wheel...yes, I'm 100% fine with that. owned a wrangler before and the wheel doesn't bother me....like I said an extra nub sticking out is my issue...there's cameras mounted on license plates, bumpers, etc...but to stick it out there? that's not dramatic, that's called aesthetics...

OP
OP
mtap

mtap

Black Diamond
First Name
Mervin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra, Hummer H3, Harley Sportster
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm planning on carrying one of these too when wheeling, so the camera would be blocked and since so many wheelers carry them, this must have been an oversight.

Where else can the camera go?

So may places...My hummer has it on the license plate mount, i'v seen them mounted on bumpers itself....there's lots of options...

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And auto makers have participated in every meeting held to discuss this requirement. IMO makers are complicit in many of these regs...WHY? it adds cost on which makers base their profit margins.

That's one of the reasons most auto makers are circling the drain today...and now, NHTSA also wants to replace side mirrors with cameras. Wow - I wonder if that will add costs as well?
My Pilot has a 3 way backup camera....normal, wide angle, and down angle. When backing out of parking stalls, the wide angle can see cars I canā€™t see coming down the aisle. The down angle is perfect for lining up a trailer on my trailer hitch ball. And lastly, when parallel parking in tight spots I can see how close I am to the vehicle bumper in back of me and not hit it. I see nothing but positives in having it.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My Pilot has a 3 way backup camera....normal, wide angle, and down angle. When backing out of parking stalls, the wide angle can see cars I canā€™t see coming down the aisle. The down angle is perfect for lining up a trailer on my trailer hitch ball. And lastly, when parallel parking in tight spots I can see how close I am to the vehicle bumper in back of me and not hit it. I see nothing but positives in having it.
one word...."option"

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I want to relocate the camera because that post that the tire sits on just looks like it'll break with a 35 or 37" tire bouncing on trails. Even Wrangler owners replace the tire carrier to hold bigger tires. Somewhere near the tag is where I'd hoped, but guess not for some reason.

Yep, aftermarket.
Why is your rear mounted tire bouncing around when it's bolted on?

---

Another thing to consider is most Ford vehicles with front/rear cameras now have washer nozzles that pop out and clean the camera when you clean the windshield. I know we saw it on the front camera. I wouldn't be surprised if the back camera has a washer too.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ā€˜05 LJ & ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not just install a different aftermarket rearview camera? wouldnt be any different than the ones I installed in my grill and under my mirrors on my f150 or the wifeā€™s grand cherokee. Lots of options out there. I keep a trasharoo on our offroad camper spare tire so I placed a backup camera down below in the rear bumper area.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Why is your rear mounted tire bouncing around when it's bolted on?

---

Another thing to consider is most Ford vehicles with front/rear cameras now have washer nozzles that pop out and clean the camera when you clean the windshield. I know we saw it on the front camera. I wouldn't be surprised if the back camera has a washer too.
I'm pretty sure the rear camera is tied into the Co-Pilot 360 that works with the other 3 cameras. Removing it may cause many other issues.
Sponsored