First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've ordered the Diode Dynamics fog light kit and the DD reverse light kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com (and will probably also get the ditch light kit). My question is what is the best security for them: tufnut, lightronic are some of the things I see on Amazon, but don't want something cheap that won't be very effective....this is my first vehicle I will be adding aftermarket lights to, so complete noob to best options here. I know nothing is 100%, but I at least want to slow down a potential thief.

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've ordered the Diode Dynamics fog light kit and the DD reverse light kit from @4x4TruckLEDs.com (and will probably also get the ditch light kit). My question is what is the best security for them: tufnut, lightronic are some of the things I see on Amazon, but don't want something cheap that won't be very effective....this is my first vehicle I will be adding aftermarket lights to, so complete noob to best options here. I know nothing is 100%, but I at least want to slow down a potential thief.

Thanks for any advice!
Honestly I never tell people to worry about security bolts. If a thief wants your light... he's gonna get it.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree. I can probably get any security bolt off with a new set of locking pliers from Harbor Freight or just by wiggling the light to loosen the bolts

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Trunk monkey is your best bet. Just make sure you keep him well fed…don’t ask me how I know this

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Super glue them

Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was very concerned with stuff like this back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. I used to use security torx screws for mounting all audio components, McGuard wheel locks and light lock nuts, and I actually put a bead of weld on the exposed threads of my winch bolts that later had to be cut off to remove the winch. Most of those countermeasures ended up being troublesome at some point in the future, sometimes on the trail if I didn’t have the right key or bit to complete a repair. I have since stopped worrying about it, and moved out of the places I really needed to worry about that sort of theft activity.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I agree with 4x4 above. If they want them they'll get them, and I'd like them to do as little collateral damage as possible. I'd rather they just remove my ditch lights and not destroy my cowl in the process.

Greasyfingers429

Black Diamond
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Range Rover Sport Td6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Thanks for any advice!
I didn’t know theft of lights was a thing, but if you covered the bolt heads and nuts with epoxy or RTV it would add a level of deterrence and confusion to anyone looking to unbolt them.
My rural town coats the backs of street signs and signposts with grease as a deterrent to vandals. That might look nasty on the ditch lights, but could work on the fog lights too.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn’t know theft of lights was a thing,.....
I've always lived in areas where this was not a concern. However, with the price of high-end lights these days I can see it. I got over $3K in the few lights I have on the bronco.

GLOCK10MM

Raptor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2015 & 2004 2500 CUMMINGS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Maybe look into a dash-cam w/ a rear facing camera system too? Blackboxmycar I found on a thread here. Good luck 🥃

Sponsored
OP
OP
bluevegas

bluevegas

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks all...guess I will take my chances for now....I do have dashcam front/rear installed but in Vegas, good luck, our home was robbed years ago here and nothing came of it.
Would love to move to the mountains away from all the urban crime...but DW just does not want to.

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just a reminder - you can insure your lights, and other mods.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another good reason to go with $20 Amazon lights

Trees

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just a reminder - you can insure your lights, and other mods.
This is the real answer. For the auto insurance I was a code monkey for in the past it was under the "Additional Equipment" coverage.

Since I am working on a progressive quote right now I went and found the coverage they offer and am definitely buying another like 4k of insurance to to cover my wheels, sunrider and lights

Ford Bronco Recommendation on security for offroad lights 1686531952101

Ford Bronco Recommendation on security for offroad lights 1686532123529

And it looks like its going to add a whopping $11 a month for a total coverage amount of $5k

Ford Bronco Recommendation on security for offroad lights 1686532346747
Sponsored