Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Title of the thread says it all! So I'm interested in getting the gear required to be safe and prepared while off-roading. I want to buy a recovery strap but have no idea where to start. Any advice? What is necessary and what is overkill? Good brands? Any good videos that explain how to use them safely? Should I be buying the shackles? I have a Big Bend would the recovery strap be used differently with those recovery points versus the ones on say a BL or BD?

Thanks!
Ted
Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are tons of YouTube videos on recovery from established brands like ARB and real life groups like Matt's Offroad Recovery, etc

Learn about safety first and foremost and then you can look at the benefits of soft and hard shackles, winching if applicable, kinetic ropes and straps versus tow straps, line dampers, attachment points, traction boards, etc.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Check out Yankum ropes, good smalltoen company and quality products. Buy direct and cut out Amazon.
I have there soft shackles and dynamic ropes. Very good stuff.
Remember there is a difference between a tow strap and a recovery strap/rope.
X2 on leaning more anout safety.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've got an ARB 3" and got a couple Rhino straps and soft shackles to try out in a couple of weeks. ARB did fine the one time it was used. Nothing else to offer as I don't have enough experience to speak intelligently on the subject.

ETA: I think it's important to consider using a damper regardless of what you get to help lower the chance of injury or damage should the strap or rope break.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Title of the thread says it all! So I'm interested in getting the gear required to be safe and prepared while off-roading. I want to buy a recovery strap but have no idea where to start. Any advice? What is necessary and what is overkill? Good brands? Any good videos that explain how to use them safely? Should I be buying the shackles? I have a Big Bend would the recovery strap be used differently with those recovery points versus the ones on say a BL or BD?

Thanks!
Ted
When in doubt: Start with reading the sticky thread in this sub-forum as it contains a BUNCH of great information and links.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/advice-for-would-be-bronco-off-roaders.10779/

Ford Bronco Recovery Strap - Where do I start? 1656003358105

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/forums/off-roading-overlanding-camping-technique-planning-trails.50/

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I mean, you can spend tons and tons of money on recovery gear if you really get into it (I’ve fallen into that trap already :().

BUT... if you had to buy just one type of recovery strap… I would absolutely buy a kinetic rope with some soft shackles. Others have already mentioned the brand… but the Yankum ropes is probably the most popular one out there, followed closely by Factor 55.

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a Rhino recovery strap. It was a free gift as they were a sponsor of an event I attended for fellow vets, and I was the only one without a strap...I have yet to use it, but it is in my "trunk".

https://www.rhinousainc.com/collections/tow-straps

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have used bubba rope products for a number of years. Never let me down.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tdub0527

Tdub0527

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, 2019 BMW X3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It certainly is a balance of search and new posts but man your link was a gold mine of info. This is my first 4x4 vehicle and I am brand new to Off-Roading. Thanks for posting this direction to the sticky thread, some great nuggets in there!!!

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with a ARB recovery strap (not a tow strap, has 20% elongation). Lower cost and much smaller / easier to lug around than a kinetic recovery rope. Will not last as long being the downside, so if I end up using it a lot I will want to upgrade to a rope.

One tip that I initially missed (returned the first strap I ordered): You want to appropriately size the strap. Resist the urge to buy a 45k capacity strap/rope because you won’t get much stretch when yanking a 5000 pound truck. 17,600 pound capacity is ideal for most Broncos per a safety video I watched.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-ARB705LB-Orange-Snatch-Recovery/dp/B01H5M6BM6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2AFTG3S7F0F1H&keywords=arb+recovery+strap&qid=1656005098&s=automotive&sprefix=Arb+recover,automotive,67&sr=1-4

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As already mentioned, Youtube is a huge resource for this. Check out the channels MadMatt 4WD and Robert Pepper, both Australian guys that do first hand testing and explain everything. When I was researching this stuff it came as a surprise to me that you can actually go "too big" on the kinetic rope types. You need the kinetic rope to have the proper amount of give for the weight of your vehicles to perform the necessary elastic action. Kinetic vs snatch vs come-alongs is a huge debate, all with pros and cons.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, so there's tow ropes (the ubiquitous yellow straps) which everyone has and they are great for that - towing. I went out and bought a recovery/snatch strap which doesn't have as long a lifespan as a Bubba Rope, but it's Arb and it was on sale for $60. I've had my JL pulled out with it with no issue when I high centered it a few weeks ago.

I have a tow rope as well that's pretty old, but rarely been used.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
It certainly is a balance of search and new posts but man your link was a gold mine of info. This is my first 4x4 vehicle and I am brand new to Off-Roading. Thanks for posting this direction to the sticky thread, some great nuggets in there!!!
I'm new to this as well (but don't even have a VIN yet!), these links and other people's input/experience has been super helpful.

When those threads went sticky it made it tons easier to find things.

One thing I find is that your local geography will impact what you need to buy/get. I'm near forests so a winch is easier to use than if you were out in flat terrain or desert terrain. So take that into consideration when lining up your kit.
Sponsored