Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hand full of people die every year from this. Even seen some boater die like this towing. Loaded straps and winches are not a joke.

This is why it’s important to spend money on quality recovery gear and learn how to use it. Cheap tow hooks look cool but need to be switched out to the game day hooks when needed.

And that goes for both parties. I’ve refused to pull people in the past based off the quality of snatch points they had.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I remember seeing this when it first happened. Might have even made the news. Sad for sure this was a guy using a tow ball trying to pull out a superduty. If your going to use a hitch insert for recovery may sure it made for that purpose.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recall seeing this on the news a couple of months ago. The tow rig DID in fact connect the strap to his tow ball. Given the weight of a superduty (7,500+ lbs) and the suction power of the mud, the ball shank never stood a chance. This was a sad, but avoidable tragedy. Tow balls are rated for trailers with wheels on hard surfaces, accelerating slowly, not for a hard shock load like that one was exposed to.

As `21OBX said, only use your hitch for recovery with a proper insert. NEVER, EVER use a tow ball as a strap point.

I have the capable front bumper and am really iffy about those d-rings it came with as recovery points. I do plan on upgrading in the future once the house stops bleeding me dry!

Sponsored

thatspecialbeat

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subies
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have literally yelled at the TV watching YouTube videos with people and even kids running around between vehicles being winched.

Even if all the gear is high quality it is crazy.

And like @Ground_zero298 said, who knows what goofy Amazon parts someone might be using.

Anyone who went to law school knows trains, escalators, and cables are killers.

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@thatspecialbeat feel ya on that. Mine for the city are cheap Amazon ones that I painted to match the truck. When I go out they are switched to the rhinos. One for security purposes/accident. I won’t be upset missing/destroying a $40 set of shackles. 2 is I don’t like leaving purpose built quality parts in the elements.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you watch a few Ronny Dahl videos you'll learn safe recovery methods. The above video failed to mention winch rope recovery blankets, which might have saved the guy if they had been used.

I have a tow rope and a couple of soft shackles in case I ever need to help somebody get unstuck, and I hope that I can remember all of the cautions needed before I ever use it.

This needs to be taken seriously.

DUSTYcazOREGON

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 Dodge Charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Excellent video that will save lives.
One thing I think was not covered was the actual hitch assembly on the vehicle that will be doing the towing/the recovery. What is the strength of the hitch and if it were to fail....then everything goes flying. Hitches are rated to tow basically at a consistent speed on flat ground....rolling force. I do not believe they are designed to pull out a stuck vehicle, something not moving causing greater resistance against the hitch. Some hitches are frame bolted, some may be welded. If bolted, what is the shear rating of those bolts? I see this as the only other possible failure point that was not covered in the video. If the tow/recovery vehicle is equipped with frame mounted tow hooks....would these not be a better place to attach recovery gear? Where can we find the ratings on factory mounted tow hooks? If I am off base here, please say so....I know nothing about this. Again, excellent video that will save lives.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recall seeing this on the news a couple of months ago. The tow rig DID in fact connect the strap to his tow ball. Given the weight of a superduty (7,500+ lbs) and the suction power of the mud, the ball shank never stood a chance. This was a sad, but avoidable tragedy. Tow balls are rated for trailers with wheels on hard surfaces, accelerating slowly, not for a hard shock load like that one was exposed to.

As `21OBX said, only use your hitch for recovery with a proper insert. NEVER, EVER use a tow ball as a strap point.

I have the capable front bumper and am really iffy about those d-rings it came with as recovery points. I do plan on upgrading in the future once the house stops bleeding me dry!
The ball shank did not fail. The drop hitch tube failed a few inches outside of the receiver due to the high torsional bending load at the end of the gusset reinforcement (see photos below).

Ford Bronco PSA: Offroad recovery is a serious matter. Please go at it properly. 0558B7F5-69CC-412B-949C-BF34B6B306DB
Ford Bronco PSA: Offroad recovery is a serious matter. Please go at it properly. D0271400-7E91-4D50-A44E-246A2D4D15EB

BuckYeah

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I originally watched this video on Bronco Nation, but it bears reviewing. I'm a firm believer in learning safe extraction techniques before hitting the trails. There's much to learn. Now's the time to bookmark and watch anything you can on YouTube, and enthusiast sites in particular. It won't make you an expert, but it will give you an idea of the best practices to follow. Scary stuff!

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent video that will save lives.
One thing I think was not covered was the actual hitch assembly on the vehicle that will be doing the towing/the recovery. What is the strength of the hitch and if it were to fail....then everything goes flying. Hitches are rated to tow basically at a consistent speed on flat ground....rolling force. I do not believe they are designed to pull out a stuck vehicle, something not moving causing greater resistance against the hitch. Some hitches are frame bolted, some may be welded. If bolted, what is the shear rating of those bolts? I see this as the only other possible failure point that was not covered in the video. If the tow/recovery vehicle is equipped with frame mounted tow hooks....would these not be a better place to attach recovery gear? Where can we find the ratings on factory mounted tow hooks? If I am off base here, please say so....I know nothing about this. Again, excellent video that will save lives.
I believe it was a massive drop hitch. Leverage is a bitch.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boats/Cars/Planes
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Good advice.... I have always presumed something would fail when I've try to pull someone. out. I have only had limited experience going back many years ago. Though, I would never allow anyone to be anywhere near a location that if something snapped they could be struck... Further, I always placed a heavy mat on the rope near the midline to dampen any force if it was to fail... I never had a failure, so I'm not sure if it would actually help, but that was my SOP..... Sad....

mrjking2000

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BadSasquatch, 2019 F-250 PowerStroker
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
appreciate you all watching this. I filmed it with permission of the widow.
Sponsored