Sicdog

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon xl
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I received my BD non squatch several weeks ago. Love it. Anyway I will be taking it to my buddies cottage in St Helen, MI. This will be my 1st experience driving offroad. Obviously I'll be taking it slow and observe other drivers doing their thing. I'm thinking I will really enjoy myself and will want to upgrade to more difficult trails. Will my BD be able to handle most of what I would like to do? Would getting a 2 inch lift or bigger tires or both do pretty much a majority of what is out there? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Having a rear locker and 4WD will get you through most moderate trails, and ANY forest service road.

If you want to do more extreme stuff, then yes better tires and a lift will help - as would a front locker and sway bar disconnect.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You should be fine.
Tire design plays a big part as far as tread and side lug design, as does the amount of air in them.
You may find with deep ruts or rocks that you bottom out or drag, and that's where the lift and larger tires come into play, getting the belly up a bit higher so you just kind of cruise right over top of stuff you would have gotten hung up on.
Offroad conditions are such a subjective and wide array it's hard to say what you are going to encounter and whether you would be fine.

MOST situations the 4wd in these alone with good driving lines will get you through most reasonable offroad trails/roads. Rear locker is a big plus, and then SBD also.

If vehicles on 40" tires are taking the path you wish to and rutting it up, you are going to have issues.
If it is a semi-rocky forest path with some medium-level mud spots here and there, you should be fine.
The BD is an above-average factory capable rig.
Not sure what you buddy drives through there, but if your ride is at least as well-outfitted as his, go and enjoy.
Heck, go and enjoy anyway.
We ALL get stuck, high-centered, above our comfort level at some point.
It's just a matter of when and how.
Just be safe, grab a recovery strap and a couple of shackles if nothing else, and go get it dirty.

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Driver capabilities and axle capabilities are more important than lift imo. Go enjoy your trip.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welcome to the jungle friend!

Bigger tires give more clearance to the critical parts than a lift. Now that you're chasing the wheelin dragon, you'll find things to mod and upgrade soon enough.

Just be conservative, use a spotter, or get out and walk the trail in places where it looks interesting, and don't be ashamed to back out. The fact that you're even in the dirt is impressive enough. Hell, I"m proud of you. :)

Lifts are tricky as they can impact your drivability and braking quite a lot, so the better the better, but don't be in a rush to lift.

A rear locker is the most important thing you have in your kit. Get yourself a cheap tow strap and some bow shackles for recovery (Everyone gets stuck at some point) and take a cheap set of tools for some just in case planning.

Also, remember that your cell phone will be useless and download your maps before heading out even if you're following in a group of folks who know where they are and what they're doing; easy to get separated.

Check the pride at the trailhead and just go enjoy! You'll have an absolute blast.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
no idea but my guess is your Bronco is overkill for a ā€œroadā€œ to a ā€œcottageā€œ in the woods...

OP
OP

Sicdog

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon xl
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
no idea but my guess is your Bronco is overkill for a ā€œroadā€œ to a ā€œcottageā€œ in the woods...
Stupid response. Why even respond to my question.

Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carry a come-a-long too. That and a couple of straps can usually get you back out of whatever gets you stuck. Hope you have fun.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Welcome to the jungle friend!

Bigger tires give more clearance to the critical parts than a lift. Now that you're chasing the wheelin dragon, you'll find things to mod and upgrade soon enough.

Just be conservative, use a spotter, or get out and walk the trail in places where it looks interesting, and don't be ashamed to back out. The fact that you're even in the dirt is impressive enough. Hell, I"m proud of you. :)

Lifts are tricky as they can impact your drivability and braking quite a lot, so the better the better, but don't be in a rush to lift.

A rear locker is the most important thing you have in your kit. Get yourself a cheap tow strap and some bow shackles for recovery (Everyone gets stuck at some point) and take a cheap set of tools for some just in case planning.

Also, remember that your cell phone will be useless and download your maps before heading out even if you're following in a group of folks who know where they are and what they're doing; easy to get separated.

Check the pride at the trailhead and just go enjoy! You'll have an absolute blast.
Great post. I highlighted the most important parts of it. Would add: Never go alone without another vehicle...

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Stupid response. Why even respond to my question.
Maybe if you actually described the ā€œoff-roadingā€ you planned to attempt you would get an intelligent informed answer...

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yes! Your Black Diamond can handle most FS roads with little trouble. And unless your buddies have highly modified rigs, you should be able to follow easily.
Like several people have mentioned leave the ego behind, and have fun. Youā€™ll feel more stupid wrecking your ride, than bailing on a questionable obstacle.
Sponsored