Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Black Diamond, Craftsman tractor
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

New Bronco owner (at 1500 miles or so now), NOT a new 4-wheeler here - I'm used to SOTF F150's, also had an old Land Cruiser and drove through plenty of stuff but getting used to the GOAT's..... so here's my scenario and question:

Went from paved road onto loose gravel/large rocks/ruts type of road (it's one of those unpaved connector roads). This road is approximately a mile long with several switchbacks and inclines/declines before getting to the other paved road. Anyway, got onto the rough road, at almost a stop, switched to sand mode for a short time, rode a bit rough and I realized I shouldn't have selected it anyway because it's meant for deeper stuff. Then switched to mud/ruts at almost a stop, as that seemed the more logical choice - road also has some steep dropoffs and I wanted to keep a good grip - also I don't have 4A (I have a regular Black Diamond). I kept the speed fairly slow but it was a very shaky ride (binding/axle wrap I'm guessing?). Then went up steep inclined sharp turn (still very rocky and rutty) and the Bronco just didn't like it at all. My daughter said something smelled like "waffles". Again, this was all in maybe less than a mile of use but I'm wondering two things: Did I even need to bother with 4WD at all, and second, any damage done? I realize you're not supposed to do sharp turns in 4WD but what about that one particular turn......? Sharp grade and very rocky so I wanted to be safe esp with wife and daughter with me. Weather - clear and dry.

Well before I got back onto paved road, the rough road was a bit better, no more turns, so I put back into regular 2H first, then back onto paved road, smooth as silk, no lights or warnings or anything and a long ride home so I think I'm fine.

Input appreciated.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Haven't had that road scenario yet with my Bronco, but use to shift my old Jeeps with part-time tcases between 2H/4H in similar road surface situations many times without issue. (Although I don't know what those GOAT modes are up to behind the scenes.)

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Honestly I don't use the Goat modes.
I find it more intuitive to simply select 4Hi or 4Lo depending on the need, rear locker when needed.
Front locker ONLY to get me through some obstacle where I need a front locker, then immediately back off again, and front locker not used when a tight turn is needed or you have one of the tires pressed up against an obstacle, trying to turn the wheel.

To me it seems none of the easy-button "GOAT modes" do everything I look for in any given scenario. It's almost like too much of one thing and not enough of another.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mud & Ruts was likely the best choice for it, it uses 4H vs 4L. I seriously doubt you were getting any drive-line bind, from the description of the road, I'd think you'd have enough slippage to avoid that.

You likely could've just stayed in 2wd, but I'm confident you didn't do any damage to the Bronco either way.

OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I find it more intuitive to simply select 4Hi or 4Lo depending on the need, rear locker when needed.
Front locker ONLY to get me through some obstacle where I need a front locker, then immediately back off again, and front locker not used when a tight turn is needed or you have one of the tires pressed up against an obstacle, trying to turn the wheel.

To me it seems none of the easy-button "GOAT modes" do everything I look for in any given scenario. It's almost like too much of one thing and not enough of another.
Yeah I'm thinking I will probably only use the GOAT once in a while only - manual selection is good enough. I don't have a front locker so I can remove that possibility - my main concern here was the smell from the transfer or whatever it was. It's my new baby after all! Don't wanna break it. But after getting on the smooth road in 2H all seems well. I just like to hear everyone's thoughts. And I appreciated yours!

Sponsored
OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mud & Ruts was likely the best choice for it, it uses 4H vs 4L. I seriously doubt you were getting any drive-line bind, from the description of the road, I'd think you'd have enough slippage to avoid that.

You likely could've just stayed in 2wd, but I'm confident you didn't do any damage to the Bronco either way.
Ok that sounds great, thanks man.

35tires

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '21 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm going to be that guy and say the modes are gimmicks and if you've driven off-road at all they add zero benefit that a bit of knowledge to not run 4wd in sand or watch speed in 4 low...

That said:

1) didn't need 4wd, for sure. I have no clue what sand mode is on these but if you're not just low low low psi and 2wd you're doing sand wrong.
2) You likely didn't break anything but pissed off a few things - sometimes new parts getting warmed up can give off some clicks/hums/smells that are weird. Idk about waffles, but honestly a very slow hard turn in 4 high while not ideal is something they advertise these trucks can do.

Look for a leak if you park on pavement, otherwise you should be good. Go destroy stuff and have fun.

lalnx

Base
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan, Rav4, had a 76 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The "waffles" smell is likely just some asssembly lubricants etc. off gassing from some components yet due to heat.

OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm going to be that guy and say the modes are gimmicks and if you've driven off-road at all they add zero benefit that a bit of knowledge to not run 4wd in sand or watch speed in 4 low...

That said:

1) didn't need 4wd, for sure. I have no clue what sand mode is on these but if you're not just low low low psi and 2wd you're doing sand wrong.
2) You likely didn't break anything but pissed off a few things - sometimes new parts getting warmed up can give off some clicks/hums/smells that are weird. Idk about waffles, but honestly a very slow hard turn in 4 high while not ideal is something they advertise these trucks can do.

Look for a leak if you park on pavement, otherwise you should be good. Go destroy stuff and have fun.
All good points, many thanks!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the road conditions (dry gravel unmaintained road), you likely didn't need to engage any GOAT mode. With the Sand or Mud/Ruts, the rear locker is engaged. But you still didn't incur any binding on a dirt/gravel road. The rough ride was more due to the stock Hitachi shocks.

No damage done. Keep getting out there and explore your Bronco's capabilities.

Sponsored

A51Asheville

Black Diamond
First Name
Dane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Sas Mid Package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

THIS!!

OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

With the road conditions (dry gravel unmaintained road), you likely didn't need to engage any GOAT mode. With the Sand or Mud/Ruts, the rear locker is engaged. But you still didn't incur any binding on a dirt/gravel road. The rough ride was more due to the stock Hitachi shocks.

No damage done. Keep getting out there and explore your Bronco's capabilities.
Awesome thank you

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The smell was probably just some off gassing, as mentioned above. The first time I used 4HI it smelled like propane, but went away after about half an hour of use.

OP
OP
PolarVortex

PolarVortex

Black Diamond
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The smell was probably just some off gassing, as mentioned above. The first time I used 4HI it smelled like propane, but went away after about half an hour of use.
Yeah the "waffle" wording was from my daughter, which makes sense as you heat up a waffle iron there's off-gassing from the teflon coating, especially a new one. Thanks much.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you are fine. You will be amazed at what the Bronco can do in just 2H. The G Modes can be helpful for beginner off-roaders, but even then you need to understand what each mode actually does and what it turns on or off.
Sponsored