First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm picking up my Wildtrak tonight -- I'm pumped!

Unlike my OBX, this will have a hard top.

One thing I was struggling with on the softie was the heat that would radiate off of it in the hot-ass Texas sun. If you put your hand up near it, you can feel all that heat. Now, it's true that the softie is DARK black (as opposed to the dark gray MIC top), and it also lacked any sort of liner (which the hard top has).

But I'm still worried that the hard top will have the same issue to an extent. I was thinking how it may help to put a reflective headliner underneath the top --- something along these lines. Has anyone done something like this? Would these even work / mitigate heat radiation at all? (Note that I'd do a black version since it would look better in the interior)

Another thought I had was to wrap / paint part or all of the top white. I'm not so sure I want that aesthetically, but I do think it would help with the heat at least.

LMK if you guys, especially in the Sun Belt states, have come up with any solutions.
Sponsored

Farmerjim47933

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ram2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

One thing I was struggling with on the softie was the heat that would radiate off of it in the hot-ass Texas sun. If you put your hand up near it, you can feel all that heat. Now, it's true that the softie is DARK black (as opposed to the dark gray MIC top), and it also lacked any sort of liner (which the hard top has).

But I'm still worried that the hard top will have the same issue to an extent. I was thinking how it may help to put a reflective headliner underneath the top --- something along these lines. Has anyone done something like this? Would these even work / mitigate heat radiation at all? (Note that I'd do a black version since it would look better in the interior)

Another thought I had was to wrap / paint part or all of the top white. I'm not so sure I want that aesthetically, but I do think it would help with the heat at least.

LMK if you guys, especially in the Sun Belt states, have come up with any solutions.

Indiana location 90 degees.
I chose to not add the factory roof liner on my 2 door Black Diamond. I have added a Bestop top in place of my front panels and the inside temps of the Bestop vs the back shell are dramatically higher ,so I don't think you need to add reflective to the Ford tops.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Louisiana here with hard top and the oem sound deadening. I havent had any issues or complaints with it whatsoever.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in South Fl and the sun is super hot. I have the hard top with factory insulation on my 2 door and outside the top gets pretty hot to the touch but inside there is no heat radiating at all from near the top. The sun is so hot here I got white the color of my Bronco. No issues at all with the insulated top at all. I am very happy of how cool it stays inside and keeps cool easily with the AC on.

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Indiana location 90 degees.
I chose to not add the factory roof liner on my 2 door Black Diamond. I have added a Bestop top in place of my front panels and the inside temps of the Bestop vs the back shell are dramatically higher ,so I don't think you need to add reflective to the Ford tops.
Louisiana here with hard top and the oem sound deadening. I havent had any issues or complaints with it whatsoever.
I live in South Fl and the sun is super hot. I have the hard top with factory insulation on my 2 door and outside the top gets pretty hot to the touch but inside there is no heat radiating at all from near the top. The sun is so hot here I got white the color of my Bronco. No issues at all with the insulated top at all. I am very happy of how cool it stays inside and keeps cool easily with the AC on.
Thanks guys. Good to know you haven't had issues!

Sponsored

Andrew72

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Silverado, 2022 corsair.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a MIC with sound deadening. Its been really Hot and humid here in Atlanta. Haven't noticed the heat from the top though.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not a problem here in Phoenix. And it was 116 this weekend.

Hotheads was supposed to develop a reflective headliner (like they sell for Jeep) but I don't know if they ever did.

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Hotheads was supposed to develop a reflective headliner (like they sell for Jeep) but I don't know if they ever did.
Thanks. I figured I couldn't possibly be the first person with this idea.

If I were keeping the softie, I'd definitely look at putting some removable reflective liner up there. I think it would make a big difference.

Tacanta14

Black Diamond
First Name
Wasichu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond 4 Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

I've signed up with 2 different email addresses to get the notice when Hotheads gets their liner out for the Bronco, which they said (many months ago) was imminent; crickets so far!

OP
OP
mattymik

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well, the good news is that the hard top is definitely much better insulated than the softie. I could immediately tell the difference.

So the whole issue of wanting a reflective insulation is moot.

However I actually think this could work great in the softie, if anyone wants to try it

Sponsored

Jon D.

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've signed up with 2 different email addresses to get the notice when Hotheads gets their liner out for the Bronco, which they said (many months ago) was imminent; crickets so far!
Same here

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Am in North Texas as well. A/C seems more than adequate with my hardtop. You may be better served with a high quality tint job. Just had my 2 door done with state legal darkness on the front windows, and darkest he had ceramic tint all around for others. Really happy with the results and believe this has made a big difference.

WT205

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You could also use a protectant like 303 Aerospace to gain some UV resistance.

rayhil67

Black Diamond
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sahara 2006 hummer H3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last month I installed the sunrider in my 2DR and there is a big difference in cabin temp from MIC to soft top, and if u let it open the MGV seats will barbecue your A$$. What I've been doing is I have a 4inch piece of a 2x4 that I set between the the top and the windshield and it creates a nice little vent, and in the event of pop shower not much water gets in.

Gilligans_off

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2 Dr Bronco Badlands Sas/lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I've been doing is I have a 4inch piece of a 2x4 that I set between the the top and the windshield and it creates a nice little vent, and in the event of pop shower not much water gets in.

sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen to me
Sponsored