Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi,

I don't normally work on product design (I'm primarily involved in IT), but because of my personal interest in the Bronco, and because I have some experience using CAD, I got involved with the design of some mud flaps and mounting brackets for the Bronco here at my work. The mud flap itself is a heavy duty two-piece design (each pair weighs about 8 lb). The lower portion can be removed from the upper portion by sliding it out of the upper portion. The optional plate (also removeable) on the bottom has a diestamp Bronco logod stainless steel plate.

The front and rear are both mounted to the frame. The flares are still removable. Due to the forward protrusion of the rock rail, for now we simply have a hole around the rock rail, and a solid version for those without rock rails. The front is not compatible with the running board / side step.

I know there are a lot of people who hate mud flaps, and others who like them. I've never been a huge fan of mud flaps myself, as I don't always like how they look. That said, they're quite popular up here in Western Canada, and serve a purpose. As a Bronco enthusiast myself, with hopes of getting a Bronco someday, I would like to make something that an actual Bronco owner would want. If you have any feedback I'd be curious to here what you think. Personally, I think I would prefer something simpler, cheaper, and lighter (ie. something like Rally Armor mud flaps), but that's the more minimalist side of me speaking.

Update:

These are now available exclusively from Ford. Other options without Bronco logo will be available in six months. I've also been told that they're not recommending these on the front of base model Bronco's with original tires, because they position the mud flap too close to the ground.

Photos:

Short rear rubber (note narrow front flare):

IMG_2920 Short.jpg

Long rear rubber:

View attachment 133111

Flyer (note: Ford part numbers, excludes plain black option):

IMG_7568.jpg

Installation Video:
Why don’t the make a flap that works with step rails?
Sponsored

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
current price is simply a no go, that's ridiculous for what these are. I'll check back once you can sell your own, could not care less if it says Bronco on them, actually don't really like that part, I want nothing that draws attention on them. But I'll use cardboard and trashbags before I pay $700 for something like that. I was looking forward to these, but I'd have a hard time spending more than maybe $200 for a set of 4 vinyl and rubber flappers. And that's pushing it.

Hopefully some other manufacturer jumps in, I'd like to add some before it gets wet here, if it ever does again.
I wish Ford's and our pricing were less, but unfortunately that probably won't happen. Our pricing for non logo options will be a little less expensive, but nowhere near $200.

It's almost guaranteed Rok Blokz will come out with something for the Bronco. This should be a good cheap option, but not comparable. Their step back flaps are more expensive, so hopefully that's not the only option they come out with. Due to the thinner material they use, they might be able to make it compatible with the Bronco side steps as well. Hopefully they make them longer than their Ranger mud flaps (which look to short in my opinion).

Why don’t the make a flap that works with step rails?
Part of the problem is that the steps protrude too far forward into the wheel well, and interfere with our mud flaps (same reason why we cut a hole for the rock rail). The other problem is the offset/step back/kick back on our mud flaps. This part lines right up with the step, which sits lower than the rock rail. Moving the mudflap up won't help, and moving it down isn't an option. It would be nice if Ford made it shorter, but I doubt they will. We have someone who is waiting on a Bronco, that will be looking at this once they get it.

Last edited:

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wish Ford's and our pricing were less, but unfortunately that probably won't happen. Our pricing for non logo options will be less expensive, but nowhere near $200.

It's almost guaranteed Rok Blokz will come out with something for the Bronco. This should be a good cheap option. However, their step back flaps are more expensive, so hopefully that's not the only option they come out with. Due to the thinner material they use, they might be able to make it compatible with the Bronco side steps as well. Hopefully they make them longer than their Ranger mud flaps (which look to short in my opinion).

Part of the problem is that the steps protrude too far forward into the wheel well, and interfere with our mud flaps (same reason why we cut a hole for the rock rail). The other problem is the offset/step back/kick back on our mud flaps. This part lines right up with the step, which sits lower than the rock rail. Moving the mudflap up won't help, and moving it down isn't an option. It would be nice if Ford made it shorter, but I doubt they will. We have someone who is waiting on a Bronco, that will be looking at this once they get it.
How much shorter would the step need to be.

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here's an overview of the parts included in the kits:

Front:
Ford Bronco Removable mud flaps IMG_8363

Rear:
Ford Bronco Removable mud flaps IMG_8362

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
$400 WTF is that sh*t.
Does that take ammo too.
They have actually tested them against a ammunition. 😉

There's a lot that go into the production of these parts that people including myself overlook.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
How much shorter would the step need to be.
2-2.5 inches.

We just got word from one dealer that they were able to move the steps back 2 inches by swapping left and right sides! We'll try to get more details and photos. Curious to see how this looks at the rear wheel opening.

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

2-2.5 inches.

We just got word from one dealer that they were able to move the steps back 2 inches by swapping left and right sides! We'll try to get more details and photos. Curious to see how this looks at the rear wheel opening.
Greatly appreciated.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's an overview of the parts included in the kits:

Front:

Rear:
I just watched an install video in an other mud flap thread, they put three spring nuts behind the liner a the front, they slide them right over the painted metal of the body. Do those springs nuts have some rubber or other material on the inside to protect the paint there? Otherwise I'd be afraid this will eventually cause the paint there to get rubbed off and rust to start, hidden behind the fender liner. Would be great if you could find out if this is a potential issue.
Thanks for all the feedback and info you provide here, much appreciated!

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just watched an install video in an other mud flap thread, they put three spring nuts behind the liner a the front, they slide them right over the painted metal of the body. Do those springs nuts have some rubber or other material on the inside to protect the paint there? Otherwise I'd be afraid this will eventually cause the paint there to get rubbed off and rust to start, hidden behind the fender liner. Would be great if you could find out if this is a potential issue.
Thanks for all the feedback and info you provide here, much appreciated!
I received an update/correction on this. Apparently it's still in discussion whether they're going to include some vinyl protection for the spring nuts. Our product engineer who was involved in installing/testing the mud flaps on the Bronco, said that it's unlikely for the spring nuts to scratch the paint down to bare metal. He also mentioned that once tightened up, the spring nuts should not move. I still feel it would be a good addition.

Not as great as my initial response, but hopefully it's not an issue, or they decide to include some PPF just as a precaution.

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
I received this first draft of instructions for modifying the Bronco side step/running board to work with the Gatorback front mud flaps for the Bronco. 2 door and 4 door versions are attached.

EDIT: Updated instructions for 2 and 4 door attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it possible to get shorter mud flaps? The design looks well built but they look too long on the bronco.

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is it possible to get shorter mud flaps? The design looks well built but they look too long on the bronco.
Hi,

These use the shortest "removeable" mud flap that we currently offer.

We will be looking into the possibility of using our non-removable Gatorback mud flaps with these brackets. If that works, then it would allow for shorter lengths, and 1/2" narrower width.

Stlrfan152

Base
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75C5 16Prius 2dr base sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi,

These use the shortest "removeable" mud flap that we currently offer.

We will be looking into the possibility of using our non-removable Gatorback mud flaps with these brackets. If that works, then it would allow for shorter lengths, and 1/2" narrower width.
I'd be fine with non-removable, it just looks like even with the sasquatch package the bronco needs to be a few inches taller.

OP
OP

bronco3

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford has authorized us to start selling the non-logo options. They are now listed on our website, and will be available through our dealers.

Reactions: Rip

Rip

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ford has authorized us to start selling the non-logo options. They are now listed on our website, and will be available through our dealers.
Will these be available in the U.S. now as well?
Sponsored