Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands, 20 Passport, 16 1190 Adventure
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been waffling on if I should drop SAS. Dropping it would definitely bump up my build, according to the dealer GM. What keeps me is it's only $2,500 extra on Badlands. Wheels, tires, lift, gearing, specifically engineered parts, under warranty and bundled with payment. It is just too convenient and the little extra wait will help me save up that $2,500.
That was my thought after we decided we wanted at least 285/75's at a minimum. So 1500-1800 in tires or all that you mentioned for 2500 without dicking around.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

as someone who ordered a base with the intention of doing some modifications. i will drive the original tires until they are ready to be replaced. the idea of trashing a perfectly good set of tires just to get a look going doesn't make too much sense to me. one thing if you are looking for bigger tires for looks and most are missing is the use of a 16 inch wheel. the 16 wheels give an illusion of a bigger tire. also the change of effective gear ratio is something else to consider... the bigger the tires, the slower acceleration will be and the longer it will take to stop. sometimes doing something for looks only is not really the best idea... but hey, it's your money... enjoy it

Bronco B

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BD, 2017 Indian Chief Darkhorse
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I was going back and forth too...until I drove a BD with SAS! It only had the 2.3L, and I thought had plenty of power. It handled no different than my 2021 Canyon AT4 going down the road on it's factory 31" Duratracs. The 4-door just looks 'right' with it, and I'm really glad I got to see it in person. I'm even more stoked about my choice of a 2.7L 4dr BD with SAS now.

Sponsored

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Right now my plans are if I can find a set of Badlands take-off wheels and tires I'm going put them on my OBX. Like you I don't need the Squatch package, and the standard BL wheels/tires will do just what I need. I'm hoping they will fit without any other adjustments.

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just stay with Sasquatch!

Bronck

Base
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
I saw a Badlands in person the other day and I was impressed with the stance of it and it’s overall appearance.

I ordered a SaS package on my 2 door BD to get the lift and bigger tires. I will never use the lockers: she will be my daily driver and any off reading will be mild.

Is there a way for me to get the stance/look of the Badlands with my BD? Will the stock rims allow me to switch to 33’s and not have to buy the SaS? I’ve seen several 1.5” lifts available for other brands that look easy to install (they look like fiber discs).

I‘m not sure how the 35’s are going to handle or last on the road.

I‘m probably looking at a $3k savings that I can put towards a trailer that I will need after trading in my truck.
I originally ordered a BD non squatch. Today I test drove a Wildtrack and was blown away but how smooth it drove. Others on here have commented that the Sasquatch suspension actually rides better than the base suspension. After today I believe it. So I am changing my order to Sasquatch for the ride quality. Looks is a bonus!

Bronco B

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BD, 2017 Indian Chief Darkhorse
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I originally ordered a BD non squatch. Today I test drove a Wildtrack and was blown away but how smooth it drove. Others on here have commented that the Sasquatch suspension actually rides better than the base suspension. After today I believe it. So I am changing my order to Sasquatch for the ride quality. Looks is a bonus!
After test driving a SaS BD, I wouldn't do anything less.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm a big believer of getting what you want. But is the Sasquatch package worth the coin that Ford is charging? I'm not sure and if you're mechanically inclined I'm sure its not that difficult to add that later.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm a big believer of getting what you want. But is the Sasquatch package worth the coin that Ford is charging? I'm not sure and if you're mechanically inclined I'm sure its not that difficult to add that later.
The short answer to this is: Yes. It's a great deal we're getting from Ford for the SAS package.

Long answer: If someone however doesn't want *exactly* the combination of components Ford is providing in Sas, it's likely cheaper to forego Sas in favor of just building it yourself exactly how you want it later. It starts to get complicated because it might be cheaper to pay for things you don't want to swap them out in favor of receiving the things from the factory that would be too expensive or annoying to change yourself (gears, front upgraded axle, etc)...

And if you don't actually want Sas, then it's a waste of money.

Basically, you have to do the math... and if you don't know enough about the components to do the math, then the math is significantly easier to do.

Last edited:

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
non-squatch on a 2 door. perfect stance. Can't wait.
Ford Bronco Rethinking SaS 4E942D54-F09D-4776-AA6F-6D724641FFA4

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
'squatching up a BL is cosmetic almost 100% of the time. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as folks recognize it and don't lie to themselves that they need it. The number of places the standard BL can't navigate that the extra 3/4" of clearance will allow is vanishingly small. Pick an easier line, drive a few miles to get around an obstacle, what have you. To challenge yourself and the machine; it is often a lot more fun to wring out a slower or otherwise less capable vehicle, full throttle for ten seconds, 6800RPM shifts, exciting! You can do that from every stoplight in a 1991 Mercury Capri if you want (tiny front driver ragtop, five speeds and 100 horsepower), exhilarating! Do ten seconds of full out acceleration in a 2015 Mustang GT from every stoplight and you are rightfully going to jail.

Sure, you can pick an obstacle/line that absolutely needs the extra clearance, but you don't have to do so. You are paying for the tiny real life usable performance difference between them, a negligible amount in reality. It is almost entirely on how it looks.

SQ tires are not 3P snow rated, add extra tires/rims to you calculations on cost for the cosmetic improvements if you might encounter winter conditions.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

'squatching up a BL is cosmetic almost 100% of the time. There is nothing wrong with that, as long as folks recognize it and don't lie to themselves that they need it. The number of places the standard BL can't navigate that the extra 3/4" of clearance will allow is vanishingly small. Pick an easier line, drive a few miles to get around an obstacle, what have you. To challenge yourself and the machine; it is often a lot more fun to wring out a slower or otherwise less capable vehicle, full throttle for ten seconds, 6800RPM shifts, exciting! You can do that from every stoplight in a 1991 Mercury Capri if you want (tiny front driver tattoo, five speeds and 100 horsepower), exhilarating! Do ten seconds of full out acceleration in a 2015 Mustang GT from every stoplight and you are rightfully going to jail.

Sure, you can pick an obstacle/line that absolutely needs the extra clearance, but you don't have to do so. You are paying for the difference between them, if if almost entirely on looks.

SQ tires are not 3P snow rated, add extra tires/rims to you calculations on cost for the cosmetic improvements if you might encounter winter conditions.
It's complicated because the 33's on the stock BL, and the increased articulation they afford, means the BL is probably the "most capable" factory Bronco...

...but if the buyer of that BL is intending to go to 35's, because they value either the higher ground clearance, the larger tire patch, aesthetic differences, or all three, then the additional $2500 for the Sas on the BL gets you:

5x 35" Tires
5x wider rims with the +30mm offset
Higher diff gearing
Slight lift to allow the 35s to articulate.

So, yes, it's "pointless" to sas the BL if you want the "most capable" Bronco... unless your definition of "most capable" differs from others, in which the $2500 is a *steal* compared to doing it yourself after delivery... but then again, if you don't like the specific wheels and tires Ford supplies on the Sas, then it's pointless to Sas a BL since you'll spend more money that way buying those items twice... but maybe it's worth it to "rent" the Ford supplied items until the aftermarket availability catches up...

All that is the long-winded way of saying: There's no way to say unequivocally whether Sas is "worth it" without breaking down each buyer's motivations and intentions.

Nodrama43

Badlands
First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nunya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
non-squatch on a four door looks sooooo much better as well. Not to mention the sassed truck isn't going to do anything except get worse fuel mileage. I am however very glad Ford gave us all a choice. Different strokes. Keeps everyone happy.
Ford Bronco Rethinking SaS 1627303060573
Sponsored