First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like the look of the SAS rims, got a non-SAS OBX coming with 18 inch stock rims. Any issue putting some SAS rims on it? I think they are 17 inch rims? Thanks in Advance for any input
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No deal-breakers... but two issues to be aware of:
  • Obviously your stock Outer Bank tires (18") will not fit on Sasquatch rims (17").
  • The Sasquatch rim has a +30 offset rather than a +55 offset. This likely means you will have some minor poke out from under the fender depending on which tires you go with. Poke = more rocks flung at the paint on your doors & rear fenders.
To combat the second issue you can get the optional Badlands wheels rather than the Sasquatch wheels. The optional Badlands wheels also have a +55 offset, but look similar to Sasquatch. The downside is that is a relatively rare option—most people who ordered Badlands either got the stock wheels or upgraded to Sasquatch. So it may be hard to find someone selling those rims as take-offs.

Either way, someday you should be able to order them directly from Ford, but right now the price point is insanely high (ie. thousands of dollars per wheel) since Ford is devoting most of the components to the assembly line.

Migs1313

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco & Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No deal-breakers... but two issues to be aware of:
  • Obviously your stock Outer Bank tires (18") will not fit on Sasquatch rims (17").
  • The Sasquatch rim has a +30 offset rather than a +55 offset. This likely means you will have some minor poke out from under the fender depending on which tires you go with. Poke = more rocks flung at the paint on your doors & rear fenders.
To combat the second issue you can get the optional Badlands wheels rather than the Sasquatch wheels. The optional Badlands wheels also have a +55 offset, but look similar to Sasquatch. The downside is that is a relatively rare option—most people who ordered Badlands either got the stock wheels or upgraded to Sasquatch. So it may be hard to find someone selling those rims as take-offs.

Either way, someday you should be able to order them directly from Ford, but right now the price point is insanely high (ie. thousands of dollars per wheel) since Ford is devoting most of the components to the assembly line.
So 35s will fit right on a non SAS stock badlands with no issues?

OP
OP

SeaVee

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 2500 Suburban, 77 Bronco, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for that info! I was worried going from 18 inch rims to 17 inch rims would mess up the electronics and such. I may just look for the Badlands

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So 35s will fit right on a non SAS stock badlands with no issues?
@SeaVee was just talking about the wheels/rims in this case, and not the tires.

But to answer your question, you cannot do "true" 35s. Some tires advertised as "35 inch tires" are actually closer to 34". It is possible to mount Sasquatch tires (315/70r17 which are 34.4") on a stock Badlands. You'll just will run into minor some rubbing / fender clearance issues.

The largest you can do on a stock Badlands setup without any major modifications are 285/75r17... which is a 33.9" tire. You can also probably do a 295/70r17 (33.3") or a 305/65/r17 (32.6"), although may be tight and likely depends on the small variations between various tires manufacturers/models. Stock Badlands is 285/70r17 which is a 32.8" tire, for reference.

Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

But to answer your question, you cannot do "true" 35s. Some tires advertised as "35 inch tires" are actually closer to 34". It is possible to mount Sasquatch tires (315/70r17 which are 34.4") on a stock Badlands. You'll just will run into minor some rubbing / fender clearance issues.

The largest you can do on a stock Badlands setup without any major modifications are 285/75r17... which is a 33.9" tire. You can also probably do a 295/70r17 (33.3") or a 305/65/r17 (32.6"), although may be tight and likely depends on the small variations between various tires manufacturers/models. Stock Badlands is 285/70r17 which is a 32.8" tire, for reference.
You can fit 35/10.50 17s on a non-sas Badlands on a stock wheel with absolutely no problems(no rubbing even at full lock). I just did. I'm very pleased with the Kendas so far. I even went out on a popular trail yesterday evening with a friend as a spotter and couldn't make it rub with some pretty serious articulation. The wheels are stock Black Diamond steelies, so they are .5" narrower than the stock Badlands wheels. This combo tucks right up into the wheel wells perfectly.
No lift or level.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can fit 35/10.50 17s on a non-sas Badlands on a stock wheel with absolutely no problems(no rubbing even at full lock). I just did. I'm very pleased with the Kendas so far. I even went out on a popular trail yesterday evening with a friend as a spotter and couldn't make it rub with some pretty serious articulation. The wheels are stock Black Diamond steelies, so they are .5" narrower than the stock Badlands wheels. This combo tucks right up into the wheel wells perfectly.
No lift or level.
If it's a 35x10.5R17 that makes sense. That's a relatively rare tire size and you won't find may of them in the North American market.

35x10.5R17 is basically a 280/80R17... which is narrower than the stock Badlands tire, and smaller than the Sasquatch tire overall. "Pizza cutter" tire, as some people would call it. Most people when they think of 35s, they think of a 35x12.5R17... which, yes, can be mounted on a stock Badlands, but you likely will have some minor rubbing unless you get a wheel spacer.

Danny's Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shoes! Waiting for that 2 door to ship!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Great post... I have read so many trying to figure out what wheels and tires to put on my OBX. Even tho you're talking about a Badlands... this is all pretty clear and concise. Going with 285/70 r17 for my Bronco. Thanks for posting this in a way that made sense!

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's a 35x10.5R17 that makes sense. That's a relatively rare tire size and you won't find may of them in the North American market.

35x10.5R17 is basically a 280/80R17... which is narrower than the stock Badlands tire, and smaller than the Sasquatch tire overall. "Pizza cutter" tire, as some people would call it. Most people when they think of 35s, they think of a 35x12.5R17... which, yes, can be mounted on a stock Badlands, but you likely will have some minor rubbing unless you get a wheel spacer.
Point is that it’s a true 35” tire. It’s available in a Kenda Klever. …….and readily available. Took two days to get a set of 5.
Ford Bronco Retrofit SAS rims on OBX? 0DDDD728-1934-4FF5-9AC9-202C176C2193

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Point is that it’s a true 35” tire. It’s available in a Kenda Klever. …….and readily available. Took two days to get a set of 5.
0DDDD728-1934-4FF5-9AC9-202C176C2193.jpeg
Oh, for sure... and it looks great.

I'm just saying that if someone is going to be looking for a 35x10.5R17 tire they are going to have a very hard time finding options. Not a common size at all, and none of the major tire manufacturers regularly produce that size. The only place I've regularly seen them used is in southeast Asia. (Kenda is a Taiwanese company so I guess it makes sense why they make them.)

Tire Rack doesn't even offer any tires with that size, and if you just do a normal Google search the only option that pops up is the exact tire you have.

Ford Bronco Retrofit SAS rims on OBX? 1657929364628

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm running 35 x 11.5 - 17's on a +35mm wheel on a base Base (non-Squatch).
Same suspension as Big Bend, OBX, Black Diamond.
No lift.
No issues.
I haven't stretched it out yet(articulated), but in 5k miles, they have never rubbed.

Ford Bronco Retrofit SAS rims on OBX? 20220710_150707

Ford Bronco Retrofit SAS rims on OBX? 20220101_220009
Sponsored