Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've got an old Series Land Rover, and that reminds me, there was a camper option called the Dormobile. There were a few different variants, but similar to those photos you posted, the new popup top section replaced the upper portion of the hardtop.

LandRover-Series-Dormobile.jpg
SUPER COOL!!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Most of the dissenting opinions you'll get are from people who have never built anything. But of course this can be done by a COMPETENT fabricator with the right tools and skills. In fact I think it would be an interesting project. Do like you suggested in option 3. Cut out the rear cross bar, weld in a custom-fabricated cross bar further forward to allow access for your camper. That said, I wouldn't consider this as a driveway mod or DIY project for a first-time fabricator.

There is a legacy for Bronco-mounted campers reaching back to the Early Bronco. I think it would be cool to see that brought forward.

Just my opinion, which is worth what you paid for it.
i think if you add this - the rear most cross bar could be deleted
https://khcoap.com/products/bronco-6g-body-brace

Bronco parts.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If the bar is moved forward to mid cabin the rear passengers risk in a rollover increases significantly.
the idea is to remove the rear seats, and make it a pop-top camper

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

One of those mods that you will have to fully commit to since there is no going back. Not gonna lie, I really want to see how this turn out if you do.

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As mentioned, because Bronco construction is body on ladder frame, you don't have to worry much about body shell integrity (compared to if you were dealing with a unibody construction).

I bet you could modify the Bronco roll bar structure without much issue, providing you take into account that the window surround seals and some other stuff, needs to be kept in same location to function properly. Because that stuff is located by the roll bar structure.

I happen to have a Jeep TJ with back portion of roll bar removed (see photo below). No issues at all. But the roll bar was not doing much else functionally (other than providing a mounting point for rear seatbelts).

Personally, I'd be hesitant to hack too much into a brand new expensive vehicle. That's the beauty of older 4x4s, they can be a canvas where you can do all sort of creative mods. If you do end up modding the Bronco roll bar, please share it would be interesting.

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE Bronco parts
i think if you add this - the rear most cross bar could be deleted
https://khcoap.com/products/bronco-6g-body-brace

Bronco parts.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I didn’t catch the change was permanent. Go for it.
I mean.... well see. Im doing long-range research. Im sure I will drive it for at least a few years before converting it to a full time camper.
I want to enjoy the top-off fun
+ All the elements to make it a pop top are so expensive I will need to save for it and do it bit-by-bit

Last edited:

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have experience with this. All the naysayers are clueless. I hacked off mine behind the B-pillar and used a factory rock slider for a new cross bar. Made 'inserts" at both ends so the crossbar slides into the existing roll br stubs. Added aircraft bolts for rigidity. I say go for it build it however you want!!! On my half cab, I can still use the original top too, and it has ALOT more space back there w/out the goofy roll bar.

It's plenty strong and looks great.

20230124_165327.jpg

20230124_165343.jpg

OP
OP
Bruno

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have experience with this. All the naysayers are clueless. I hacked off mine behind the B-pillar and used a factory rock slider for a new cross bar. Made 'inserts" at both ends so the crossbar slides into the existing roll br stubs. Added aircraft bolts for rigidity. I say go for it build it however you want!!! On my half cab, I can still use the original top too, and it has ALOT more space back there w/out the goofy roll bar.

It's plenty strong and looks great.

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE 20230124_165343

Ford Bronco ROLL BAR DELETE 20230124_165343
HAHA!! I KNEW Someone out there did it !!

So you didnt just relocate the back cross member forward, you cut the roll bar off from the back of the seats in a 2 door - and then fabbed up a new cross bar behind the seats??

MORE PICS PLEASE!!!
Top-Off pics? Interior from the rear Pics?
Anything!! THANK YOU!!!!

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
The roll bar on the bronco adds structural stability, but it's a body-on-frame vehicle so you can take it off if you want. You can also modify it, but when you do modify it, keep in mind, it is actually a roll bar. Attach it properly and understand the forces that will act on it should the bronco roll.
Ford certainly did some finite analysis of it all, so taking a little while to think about it seems prudent.
Sponsored