Sponsored

Rusted drivetrain on newly delivered Bronco -- is this normal?

Matt J.

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘97 4Runner SR5 5sp manual, ‘22 4dr BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi Everyone:

I took delivery of my Bronco 5 days ago and instantly noticed rusted bolts on the front trail sights. Worried that this might signify hidden issues, I took a look underneath and found the entire drivetrain rusted -- both front and rear driveshafts and both front halfshafts look awful! See photos.

The response from the dealer service manager basically said, "This is normal" which I find hard to believe.
"I understand it may be alarming to find rust on these components, but this is actually very common. I crawled under my own Bronco (I took delivery in Dec) and I also have rust on the driveshaft, axles and other components. I also inspected the unit on our showroom floor and it has rust on the driveshaft and CV axles, albeit to a lessor degree. I want to reassure you that these vehicles are designed to be exposed to the harshest environments for long periods of time with no effect on function or performance."

Question for all you new Bronco owners out there, is this really normal? If it's "normal", do we have to do some rustproofing right now to prevent progression? I'm very worried about the durability of my Bronco now...

IMG_9674.JPG

IMG_9675.JPG

IMG_9676.JPG

IMG_9677.JPG

IMG_9678.JPG
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Everyone:

I took delivery of my Bronco 5 days ago and instantly noticed rusted bolts on the front trail sights. Worried that this might signify hidden issues, I took a look underneath and found the entire drivetrain rusted -- both front and rear driveshafts and both front halfshafts look awful! See photos.

The response from the dealer service manager basically said, "This is normal" which I find hard to believe.
"I understand it may be alarming to find rust on these components, but this is actually very common. I crawled under my own Bronco (I took delivery in Dec) and I also have rust on the driveshaft, axles and other components. I also inspected the unit on our showroom floor and it has rust on the driveshaft and CV axles, albeit to a lessor degree. I want to reassure you that these vehicles are designed to be exposed to the harshest environments for long periods of time with no effect on function or performance."

Question for all you new Bronco owners out there, is this really normal? If it's "normal", do we have to do some rustproofing right now to prevent progression? I'm very worried about the durability of my Bronco now...

Ford Bronco Rusted drivetrain on newly delivered Bronco -- is this normal? IMG_9678.JPG

Ford Bronco Rusted drivetrain on newly delivered Bronco -- is this normal? IMG_9678.JPG

Your dealer is correct it is normal only thing to do is take it to a place that removes and treats all the parts so it don’t happen again but it’s not cheap

E. Davis

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Normal (for Ford) for the driveshafts and axles. I have surface rust on these same parts on my F150 and Mustang. It does not progress further once these initial steel parts are covered with surface rust. I wish they would do a better job of coating these parts with some sort of preventative, mainly because it is unsightly, but it is not the kind of penetrating rust that is going to eat through these components over reasonable timeframes.

It is more alarming that you have rust on your trail sights. Any photos of that?

OP
OP
Matt J.

Matt J.

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘97 4Runner SR5 5sp manual, ‘22 4dr BadManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Normal (for Ford) for the driveshafts and axles. I have surface rust on these same parts on my F150 and Mustang. It does not progress further once these initial steel parts are covered with surface rust. I wish they would do a better job of coating these parts with some sort of preventative, mainly because it is unsightly, but it is not the kind of penetrating rust that is going to eat through these components over reasonable timeframes.

It is more alarming that you have rust on your trail sights. Any photos of that?
I posted pictures on a different thread discussing the trail sight rust issue. Looks like a bad batch of bolts. Dealer says the bolts are on backorder. While I'm waiting, I sanded down the existing rusted bolts and sprayed them with some rustoleum. It'll work for now...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/rusting-accessory-bolts.38574/post-1311543

Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have received brand new vehicles with rusted drive shafts, half shafts and other chassis components. It's from the steel being "raw" and not treated with anything at all- not even primer. It does look awful. Why they do not paint these components is beyond me. It looks so much better under the chassis with them painted.

I have primered and painted these components myself on brand new vehicles as I did not like the rust appearance. I typically use a rag immersed in turpentine or paint thinner and wipe the rust off, possibly lightly sand, then primer and paint black. Another option is just spray them with Boeshield T9 marine rust inhibitor. Stuff is expensive but works great at removing rust and repelling water and future rust.

Freebird32

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 F150 4x4, 82 Toyota 4x4 orig owner, 08 Z06
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My new 22 Bronco had rusted shafts and some backing plate nuts/bolts on rear were also rusty. Fender sight bolts on driver side too. I removed those and used Rust reformer with top coat of satin black. I wire brushed driveshafts and used Rust Reformer with a satin black topcoat. Look good now. Will chase down the rest of the rust the same way. It is something to keep after (cleaning, touchup) if you own vehicle a long time. I have no rust-thru on my 97 F150. i use CorrosionX on electrical stuff and other fasteners periodically too.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unfortunately it's normal for Ford. :(
FORD= Full of oxidation rust & dents.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank ice mountain for that. Not to mention those are raw uncoated steel. Had a 4dr wildtrack in my shop last week for running boards and had the same issue.
Sponsored