norsemen

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion XB, FJ Cruiser, Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So obviously the Sasquatch wheels and tires look cool, like really cool. But how will they handle the cold?

Here in Minnesota it's frozen a good 7 months out of the year, and we get a lot of ice and snow. Some of drivers here seem to think AWD makes them invincible on the road, but I see a lot of AWD crossovers in the ditch - nothing is a substitute for a good set of snow tires. But I've never heard of 35" snow tires - does such a thing exist?

I'm wondering if it's more sensible to stay at the lower wheel sizes, where it's more possible to find snow tires. Am I overthinking this? Or will the MT tires be able to handle snow okay?

Hey man, as someone else living in Minnesota, you know how the roads get.. our main concern is not deep snow.. its hardpacked snow and ice with the occasional dump of fresh powder. Im going to echo a few comments made earlier here and say that the 33" BFG K02 AT tire with the 3 peaks / winter snowflake are probably one of the absolute best all around tires ever made. They got me through many many years up in the mountains of Oregon and Idaho.

That being said, nothing is better than a dedicated winter tire. Studded tires are not allowed in our state, so either the BFG's listed above or some Nokians are your best bet.
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nokian makes a dedicated snow tire in 315-70-17 (35"). The BFG AT's and Good Year Duratrac's are also snow rated.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any new Bronco, hell any decent 4wd with decent AT or MT tires will do fine in the snow. I grew up in the frozen wasteland many decades ago and drove a pos 2wd car all winter long. No, maybe you can't go out right after a blizzard but keep a shovel and some chains with you and you can go through quite a bit.
4wd means nothing when you have to jam on your brakes cause some idiot lost control. a lot of paved road areas do not allow studs or chains. so "decent AT or MT tires" usually will not do in cold weather regardless of snow or ice. Cold will turn a normal tire into a frozen brick and the grooves will not flex to give you grip. The point of it is to not get stuck. you can keep your shovel and chains just in case, but why not reduce the chances of getting into trouble by getting a dedicated winter tire. Unless you only get cold and snow the odd time or visit to an area that might have it.

Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow 1596566389669

Goocci gang

Base
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu
Your Bronco Model
Base
Outside of pure ice, the ko2s and wild peak at3ws have literally never let me down in my wrangler including a 1 hour drive in 30 inches of snow to go skiing...

I would assume the bronco will be just as good in 4wd. I've never been in a position where I felt unsafe in the snow in proper 4wd. AWD can blow me

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sasquatch + snow

Ford Bronco sasquatch + snow 1596566925100

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Everyone saying that whatever tire is "fine" in winter probably hasn't used a good winter tire or hasn't spent years driving in terrible conditions.

A good winter makes a world of difference.

When the main highway where you live is a literal sheet of ice with drifting, powdery, snow across it with whiteout conditions at -40, what was "fine" through some snow quickly becomes not fine.

The tread and compound make a huge differnce.

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
^^^^^^ This, could have not said it better myself.

The correct name for snow tires is 'cold' weather tires. There is not one miracle rubber compound that will stay pliable in all temps and get a decent mileage.

My suggestion is to get the squatch pkg and a set of winter tire/rims. If you run a slightly smaller diameter tire in the winter so be. They make bigger ones but you may not like the price.

Last edited:

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ummmm, I live in the south. What is this "snow" stuff y'all talkin' 'bout. :p:D

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ummmm, I live in the south. What is this "snow" stuff y'all talkin' 'bout. :p:D
The spice of life brother, I'm from the Heart of Dixie myself and live in the Rockies by choice.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The spice of life brother, I'm from the Heart of Dixie myself and live in the Rockies by choice.

Leonard, brother, that's livin' the life. I would move to the Wyoming, Montana area in a skinny minute if I could. I can by a coat........:)(y)

BTW, that's some kind of beautiful scenery behind the Jeep in your avatar.

Sponsored

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only time I’m likely to get snow is going up to the mountains. It’ll be chains for me.

paxfish

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150 fx4 eco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The siping is the thing. It seems counter-intuitive, but carrying a bit of snow on the tire actually grabs the snow on the road.

Up here at 9000+ elevation, we had 25 feet last season. I've found both BFG K02 and Cooper AT3 (or ATW) to be great all year AT tires that are exceptional in the snow.

Hopefully the Sasquatch MT (really an AT) are just as good.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What's siping? :cool: Don't answer that. I'm trolling for haters from cold climates. They can get even simetime around July.

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mud tires work well in snow but they are down right scary on ice. A dedicated snow tire is always going to be better. I run Hankook iPike RW11 tires on my F-350 in the winter, which are LT275/65R20 and measure ~34".
Sponsored