Sponsored

Screw in tire can’t be fixed. Use as spare?

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I got a screw in my tires that came on the Sasquatch. They have about 7000 miles on them and will cost about $400 to get a new tire discount tire stated that since it’s located near the edge they cannot patch it. I don’t wanna waste money on a new tire, so I just had them put the spare tire in its place. Now my spare is the one with the screw. Is there anything I can put in my tire such as that green goop so I can have it in case I need it in the future for emergency reasons.
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know how to plug a tire? The plug kits are cheap, and they are easy to do. These tire joints almost always claim the puncture can’t be fixed. I suggest trying to plug the tire, and if it holds use it as the spare. BTW, this is why I never rotate my tires. The odds are one of the tires will suffer a puncture that “ can’t” be fixed ( so they say) and you wind up buying a new tire.

Sponsored
First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 C10, 70 240z, 74 X1/9, 18 Alltrack
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you know how to plug a tire? The plug kits are cheap, and they are easy to do. These tire joints almost always claim the puncture can’t be fixed. I suggest trying to plug the tire, and if it holds use it as the spare. BTW, this is why I never rotate my tires. The odds are one of the tires will suffer a puncture that “ can’t” be fixed ( so they say) and you wind up buying a new tire.
You never rotate your tires because you're worried about a possible puncture?

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You never rotate your tires because you're worried about a possible puncture?
No. I don’t rotate because the supposedly mileage increase provided through rotation disappears the second one of the tires suffers a puncture that can’t, or won’t be repaired. Unless one self rotates or can get it done for free ( nothing is free) the total cost of rotations turns out to be a healthy chunk of the price of one tire. My experience has been my tires routinely reach their warranty mileage, unless of course one suffers a non repairable puncture.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Badassbronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Should I get a cheap slime plug kit from Walmart or the following from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Repa...qid=1679068440&sprefix=tire+pl,aps,114&sr=8-3

Reactions: Dom

Jason

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands & 2023 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don’t use slime.

I have fixed punctures on and inside the tread multiple times, and never had an issue. Discount Tire’s policy is either based on the insurance company lawyers or their CFO who is trying to sell more tires.

If you’re not comfortable with driving on the tire every day, use it as a permanent spare and do a 4-tire rotation until you wear them out and replace all 5.

There are several kits like this out there, and I keep one in my recovery kit. I like this kit since it comes with stem repair parts too, but what you linked would work as well.

Ford Bronco Screw in tire can’t be fixed.  Use as spare? 1679068466480

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it's in the tread I'd plug it and keep it in the rotation, no need to banish it just to spare duty.
^^^ this. If I had to replace a tire every time I got a nail in it I'd be filling the landfills with them. Plugs are easy to use and reliable. I've put plugs in nearly new tires and still got 30K miles out of them.

BTW @Tricky Dick I think an inexpensive plug kit would be a nice addition to the TD product line :)

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs