Sponsored

Screw in tire can’t be fixed. Use as spare?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

^^^ this. If I had to replace a tire every time I got a nail in it I'd be filling the landfills with them. Plugs are easy to use and reliable. I've put plugs in nearly new tires and still got 30K miles out of them.

BTW @Tricky Dick I think an inexpensive plug kit would be a nice addition to the TD product line :)
I could look into it. The Slime brand $10 kits with plugs and reamers have never let me down though, not sure it's worth reinventing the wheel.
Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A place that sells tires doesn’t want to fix it?
I don’t believe it.
Sarcasm off.
"We really have OP's best interest in mind. Oh BTW on a completely unrelated note, did you hear about our tire sale?"

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Either fix it yourself, it's quite easy, or take to a local guy. Realize that the big stores are under scrutiny, not only by their own policies, but some claimed Fed law that prevents mere plugging. (So they get to break down the tire and charge for that, tho' Discount doesn't). If it's not in the sidewall, it can be plugged.

Sponsored

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I could just plug it?

Ford Bronco Screw in tire can’t be fixed.  Use as spare? DDE29E2F-1282-44C9-81A1-FA52E5EF21A4
Yes, in that location, just plug it. Cannot believe they are telling you they won't plug it. BS in my opinion. I thought this was maybe more in your side-wall than in the main tread footprint.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Should I get a cheap slime plug kit from Walmart or the following from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/BETOOLL-Repa...qid=1679068440&sprefix=tire+pl,aps,114&sr=8-3
Purchase an actual plug kit. Reamer, plug strips, plug install T handle and adhesive are included in the kit. Any auto parts store or Walmart has them. Once you complete the plug, inflate the tire to correct pressure and then cover the plug area with watered down dish soap to see if there is a leak.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could just plug it?

DDE29E2F-1282-44C9-81A1-FA52E5EF21A4.jpeg
It is too close to the sidewall for any tire company to repair. I would pull the screw and plug it myself. It is deep enough below the tread I would not worry about it. I would not use it for rock crawling or a 5 thousand mile trip, but if I had a flat I would not think twice about tossing it on until I got to a place to get the flat fixed.

Sponsored

ebrs929

Big Bend
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2009 F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

100% plug and go!
I got a welding rod in my tire, it was where the sidewall meets the tread, so we couldn't plug it. A local place patched it. We recently did a rotation and it has been holding pressure perfectly so far ( a week and a 3 hour road trip to the mountains included)

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No. I don’t rotate because the supposedly mileage increase provided through rotation disappears the second one of the tires suffers a puncture that can’t, or won’t be repaired. Unless one self rotates or can get it done for free ( nothing is free) the total cost of rotations turns out to be a healthy chunk of the price of one tire. My experience has been my tires routinely reach their warranty mileage, unless of course one suffers a non repairable puncture.
The only thing I can say is, we live in different worlds.

A place that sells tires doesn’t want to fix it?
I don’t believe it.
Sarcasm off.
I've actually ran across some that repair tires for free, any tire, if they sold it or not, given, in the Western states. Back East they would just look at you like you are asking for a lost diamond.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's plenty of legal cases out there that have gone against shops that have done tire repairs and there was a subsequent accident. I don't know the laws in each state but do remember our NADA dealer academy instructor really pushed back against doing repairs from a liability perspective. We do repairs in safe areas and this looks like it could be right on the line but wouldn't know until it was broken down and inspected. If this were mine I'd do a patch plug and if really lazy, just a cord plug from the outside.

ETA: Indications a repair may not be appropriate would be a visible split, bubble that forms on the inside of the tire (layer separation) or something else that looks odd. Definitely do not attempt a patch anywhere on the sidewall.

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I could look into it. The Slime brand $10 kits with plugs and reamers have never let me down though, not sure it's worth reinventing the wheel.
Do it more as a complete premium tire repair kit with "trickflate" badging... Include a Plug Kit, Patch Kit, valve Stems and cores, core remover, digital pressure guage, and one of these things;

https://www.amazon.com/AME-51025-Quick-Valve-Change/dp/B005K8E9FY

Put it in a nice pouch or roll, and sell it for between $79 and $99...

I'll buy one!
Sponsored