Sponsored

Do you need to upsize spare tire as well?

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am thinking to upgrade my wheel to 20" tire with some negative offset. (e.g -24 or -12)
But the tire should still be 35".

Can I just up size 4 wheels and still keep my spare tire?

In case of emergency, Can I still use my spare tire with different wheel size?
Do I need to make sure that the wheel size will still be 35"?
My thinking- all the spare needs to do is get you to a tire shop, so factory is fine… treat it like a donut, but I would install my spare up front and only run it in 2h to not put any stress on the rear diff for having two different diameters running.
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outside the other valid points posted on here, the sheer difference in having a different spare tire vs the other 4 would drive my OCD nuts…

reigny

Outer Banks
First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ninja 650, 2003 Honda Shadow Ace
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yeah, easy target, I know, but OBX is simply a gateway drug to off-roading and eventually rock-crawling. First, they start at the beach, and then they visit an off-road park, ford a creek or two, and the next thing you know, they’re crawling at Moab or Johnson Valley. Gotta think cradle-to-grave on this whole Bronco lifestyle. 😉
OMG this is so me!!! First 4x4 vehicle ever and I'm in FL :ROFLMAO:
And to the OP: I recently saw a Bronco with 4 upgraded tires and the original spare and it looked ridiculous. It just means that the owner is cheap.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
My thinking- all the spare needs to do is get you to a tire shop, so factory is fine… treat it like a donut, but I would install my spare up front and only run it in 2h to not put any stress on the rear diff for having two different diameters running.
So what's your process when your rear tire goes flat on the highway?

campbebc

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You'd like like an absolute jabroni, that's enough of a reason

• Haha
Reactions: Dom

Sponsored

iwantabasebronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gmc
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Only reason we upgraded tires is to get tires that are less prone to punctures and cuts. For us to keep a less capable spare is asking for trouble.
If we get a slash out on a rough area and put on a less capable tire to try to go home, I could see the possibility of the spare being damaged even more quickly.

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With the differentials unlocked there shouldn’t be an issue running a smaller diameter spare, if it’s the same diameter then no issue at all. Put a spare tire cover over the back one and nobody will notice.
even unlocked, different size tires left to right means the differential is constantly spinning for the different ratios.

You can get by with this for a short while at lowish speeds with a near match of diameter (<5% difference), but you wouldnt want to make a habit of it, it just puts unnescessary heat and wear on the diff, and could potentially overheat it if the variance is big enough.

Same reason they dont suggest replacing 1 tire on a drive axle of any car, even the worn tread vs new tread difference can create wear over time.

Also why they suggest you rotate the bronco spare into the rotation so its tread wears evenly with the other 4 tires, so when you go to use it, its not a different diameter.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally I would stay within 2"s of the other tires. For example if running 37's I would have no problem with a 35" spare as this would have plenty of ability on the trail, just not look as cool :sneaky: . However if running 35's I would not want a 30" spare. YMMV :cool:

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Personally I would stay within 2"s of the other tires. For example if running 37's I would have no problem with a 35" spare as this would have plenty of ability on the trail, just not look as cool :sneaky: . However if running 35's I would not want a 30" spare. YMMV :cool:
Last month at our annual Goatfest event out in Johnson Valley one of my friends had just bought a TJ and didn't think to check the date on the tires. They were like 12 yrs old and he blew 3 of them on the trail, I think they ran Clawhammer. He had to use spares from other Jeeps, and finished the trail and came back to camp with 2 33's, a 35, and a 37. 😁

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last month at our annual Goatfest event out in Johnson Valley one of my friends had just bought a TJ and didn't think to check the date on the tires. They were like 12 yrs old and he blew 3 of them on the trail, I think they ran Clawhammer. He had to use spares from other Jeeps, and finished the trail and came back to camp with 2 33's, a 35, and a 37. 😁
That's the thing about trail repairs, they are great to just get you off the trail. Just don't forget to get it repaired correctly there after ;)

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
even unlocked, different size tires left to right means the differential is constantly spinning for the different ratios.

You can get by with this for a short while at lowish speeds with a near match of diameter (<5% difference), but you wouldnt want to make a habit of it, it just puts unnescessary heat and wear on the diff, and could potentially overheat it if the variance is big enough.

Same reason they dont suggest replacing 1 tire on a drive axle of any car, even the worn tread vs new tread difference can create wear over time.

Also why they suggest you rotate the bronco spare into the rotation so its tread wears evenly with the other 4 tires, so when you go to use it, its not a different diameter.
Yes, you are correct, but I don’t believe the rear differential on a Bronco would suffer from a minor size difference from different tread depth on the same diameter tire. I’m assuming the OP wouldn’t run the spare for long with the non matching rim. I have also found that people at tire shops have all kinds of theories to assist in them selling more tires.

There is some ambiguity in what the owners manual says about using a non rotated spare long term. It seems like they are more concerned with TPMS than size differences.

BF204AB8-9118-4A12-9123-40F4904A9B51.jpeg

grayshadow

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Lack of traction as the chassis flexes is a trait of terrible driving skills?
Heavy right foot while driving in/over obstacles is terrible driving skills or maybe they do it for the camera nonetheless, amateurs and hard on equipment.