First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I want to get my new toy some protection. She will be a 2022 Outer Banks with a few goodies including the B&O sound system. What do you all recommend? I am trying to buy an OBD blocker. Don’t know what fits…. Does anyone?
Other suggestions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is on it’s way…… a few more weeks.

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some type of hidden button ignition / power kill switch? Have to press that first before it gets any power to start.

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some type of hidden button ignition / power kill switch? Have to press that first before it gets any power to start.
Smart kill switch? Hmmm... I had a thought for unused overhead accessory switches. Arrange them in the correct order, else the power to fuel pump dies exactly 180 seconds after engine start. That would give me enough time to escape from a carjacking... Am I the only person who is concerned about a highly desired vehicle with doors off easy access getting targeted for a carjacking ?

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Smart kill switch? Hmmm... I had a thought for unused overhead accessory switches. Arrange them in the correct order, else the power to fuel pump dies exactly 180 seconds after engine start. That would give me enough time to escape from a carjacking... Am I the only person who is concerned about a highly desired vehicle with doors off easy access getting targeted for a carjacking ?
Looks like you're in Nevada. I think in NV it's easy to get a concealed carry permit. If you're that worried about car jacking I'd get handgun and know how to access it quickly and use it. Or you could just use the Bronco to run them over. Just make sure you go back and forth a few times to get the job done. Or you could install this system but with the doors off you might get some blowback. 🔥

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like you're in Nevada. I think in NV it's easy to get a concealed carry permit. If you're that worried about car jacking I'd get handgun and know how to access it quickly and use it. Or you could just use the Bronco to run them over. Just make sure you go back and forth a few times to get the job done. Or you could install this system but with the doors off you might get some blowback. 🔥
I am not as concerned with car jacking as I am about theft from a parking lot or my driveway. I actually have a "Restricted" gun license but there is no "carry" in Canada. I cannot be Dirty Harry. You are correct... I would run over them if I could. I am practicing using Faraday pouches for my keys but any theft protection cannot disable the remote start for day to day use.
I have discovered that a OBD blocker is not possible at this time due to the placement of the unit itself. I also plan on it being in my locked garage when at home. Now if it would just appear all would be great. I almost have a heart attack each morning as I access the trackers. In fact, writing this note is delaying that process at present. Off to be brave...lol

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My best theft protection is manual transmission...90% of the people out there can't drive stick...
I would have thought the same thing until two weeks ago. One of my coworkers had his manual transmission Hyundai stolen. Found it a couple of days later but it was a total loss. Took the cats, wheels, battery and some other interior stuff. He got the apartment to pull up the video surveillance and early in the morning a guy was checking out the car but didn't take it. Then an hour later another guy showed up and took it. Apparently they had to get someone who could drive a manual. Only good news was he had gutted out the cats years earlier when they got clogged so they didn't get anything of value there.

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I don't think you are the only one, could it happen sure, am I worried about it no. I've got 8-10 reasons on my hip that say otherwise. ABC #FAFO

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not as concerned with car jacking as I am about theft from a parking lot or my driveway.

I have discovered that a OBD blocker is not possible at this time due to the placement of the unit itself.

I almost have a heart attack each morning as I access the trackers
I’m not sure I understand what you are saying.

OBD blocker? Huh? What is an OBD blocker?

trackers? What is this? Context please.

many thanks.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom

Outer Banks
First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m not sure I understand what you are saying.

OBD blocker? Huh? What is an OBD blocker?

trackers? What is this? Context please.

many thanks.
An OBD is the on board diagnostic unit that allows your mechanic to access all the info on your vehicle. They have other names but anyhow they can also program a blank key among other things. So the thief uses a scanner (from Amazon) which can read the info on your remote start key in your house and sends/takes the info to your car sitting in your driveway on your upscale street in your city/town. He uses that to open and start your Bronco. He attaches a OBD reader (from Amazon) to your unit and programs two new keys (from Amazon) for your beloved Bronco. Since they are there they do this to a number of high value machines that belong to your neighbours and then drive off quietly into the early morning mist. A few hours later they are in Montreal, loaded into a shipping container (with 2 working keys) and shipped off to Africa or the Middle East. Soooooo...... Firstly you must park in your garage, secondly you must keep your keys in a Faraday box or pouch which prevents them being read, thirdly you can buy an apparatus which locks onto your OBD and really slows them down or stops them. I have discovered, with the help of the tech guy at my dealership, that the Bronco OBD unit does not lend itself to these blockers because of its shape. Actually, firstly is to block your VIN on the dash so it cannot be seen. Plan B then becomes a problem, especially if you wish to use your remote start and I do. I remotely open my garage doors (from my phone) in the morning, start my Edge, put my boots and coat on and wade into the great white abyss we call the Canadian winter. We, the tech guy and I, are thinking of a few things to run through one of the AUX switches that will prevent the Bronco/F-150 from driving off. The problem is the remote start. After a number of F-150s that were stolen from my dealership a year or so ago they have been installing kill switches on their desirable vehicles but these entail raising the hood etc. Not desirable for me, re- read white frozen abyss above. I realize this is a non technical explanation but I did my best. Questions???

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Your best bet is very good insurance. If they want it bad enough they will get it. If the want in it the Bronco is far from secure. If any of my vehicles were ever stolen I would not want them back.

shadocontrol

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'55 Chevy 3800 Panel Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m going to experiment with AirTags. Good concept, but not sure how it will work in the real world.