Sponsored

Should I worry about carbon buildup on 2.3?

Listedguru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In the market for a 2 dr Bronco with the 2.3 and was wondering what the general consesus is regarding carbon buildup on the 2.3? I've read that it's pretty much an issue with all direct injected engines. I plan on keeping the Bronco for 10 years+ so I'm hoping carbon buildup won't be an issue or can easily be prevented and or fixed?

Any other issues I should worry about with buying a 2.3 Bronco?
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Que the catch can conversations.

I purchased a catch can but haven’t installed it yet, 2700 miles on my truck after 14 months. I’m undecided on installing or not worrying about it.

OP
OP

Listedguru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Que the catch can conversations.

I purchased a catch can but haven’t installed it yet, 2700 miles on my truck after 14 months. I’m undecided on installing or not worrying about it.
I've heard the catch can being tossed around on a few Maverick threads but really not sure what it's supposed to do, lol. I'm just worried about spending a crap ton of money on a shiny and then to have it develop carbon buildup issues,etc.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard the catch can being tossed around on a few Maverick threads but really not sure what it's supposed to do, lol. I'm just worried about spending a crap ton of money on a shiny and then to have it develop carbon buildup issues,etc.
Your carbon build up will happen anyway as your oil ages. I’m not a mechanic or engineer or anything, but your engine can handle some, but your service intervals address it also, but maybe not until 40K miles or more.

Keeping your fuel system clean is what I think is more of the threat. Running Top Tier Premium with all the good soaps in it :) should help with that.

Switching your oil to synthetic and changing more often with a good filter is what I plan to do. The catch can install is for that, but you have to remember to dump it whenever you change your oil. I understand it can go maybe one change or so without being dumped, but the point is to keep it clear.

If you’re really worried about it, keep those filters changed and strictly follow that maintenance schedule.

Vanimalious

Badlands
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did my fair share of research. From what I gather, it really it depends on driving style. Some with catch can don't get anything week after week. I regularly get 3oz PER MONTH, but me and my wife's trips are all short, less than 5 miles in nature through the week. It's my limited understanding that it's condensation and fuel/oil mix that isn't allowed to pass through the evap system due to short trips.

For longevity purposes, it may not be noticable or catastrophic for 100k+ miles.

Sponsored

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You'll probably need your head blasted every 100k. I wouldn't stress over it.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Also, the JLT catch can system that fits the F-150 can be used in a Bronco, but only for the 2.7 I believe.

There is a Bronco specific kit, but it cost more, but may fit better. It’s an easy self install from the way pics look.

If you want cleaner intakes, this is your solution. Been around for several years for the trucks.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Had a catch can on my 1.5L Bronco Sport. Currently have one on my 2.3L Bronco, J&L OSC. Catches a little in the summer months but about 3oz or so every 1000 miles in the winter. Mostly condensation mixed with some oil blow-by. I use Ford's recommended oil and filter. If the can prolongs the buildup on the back of the valves, cool. This Bronco should be the last vehicle I buy, so gotta last.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright so here’s the background for those confused and/or curious.

Modern vehicles have a PCV system, which is a form of emissions control. Essentially the extra air in the cylinder that blows by the piston rings and into the crankcase gets recycled back to the intake system. Obviously the crankcase has a lot of oil in it, and therefore that some of that oil gets mixed with air that gets sent back into the intake. That air with tiny oil droplets gets stuck in the intake and on the back of the intake valves. Over time this carbon buildup can restrict airflow to the cylinders and reduce performance.

Normally this isn’t a gigantic is issue because fuel is a solvent and will clean the intake valves as it is injected into the intake. The problem with the 2.3L engine is it is a direction injection engine—fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, thus bypassing the intake. Therefore… no cleaning.

So obviously the engineering challenge is to remove the oil from the air that is recycled from the PCV system. Enter catch cans. They are designed to separate (or catch) the gunk in the PCV air to help ensure the intake remains clean.

So why is catch cans so controversial for many people on this forum?? Because Ford has oil separators on most (all?) of their direction injection engines, including the 2.3L engine in the Bronco. Therefore some people think catch cans are a waste because Ford already solved the issue.

My personal opinion?? The vast majority of catch cans are not CARB compliant. So if you live in California or another state that follows CARB emission standards I wouldn’t bother unless you enjoy removing the catch can every time you go get your emissions tested (not uncommon for emissions testers to look the other way when they encounter a catch can, but still). Otherwise it’s up to you. Oil separators aren’t perfect but neither are catch cans, and at some point—likely beyond the 100,000 mile mark—the intake will need to be cleaned.

Sponsored

NirWheels

Base
First Name
Nir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Your Bronco Model
Base
just follow the maintenance schedule, use Premium gas, and synthetic oil every 5k. At least that’s what I’m doing. 2 doors Manual, 5100 miles

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just run 1 gallon of distilled water for every 2 gallons of 100 oct. you’ll steam clean those heads.

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've worked at a ford dealer for a long time and I can say the 2.3 is one of ford's better engines. Change the oil every 5 thousand miles and you'll be good
*Focus RS owner twitches nervously*

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
—
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just run 1 gallon of distilled water for every 2 gallons of 100 oct. you’ll steam clean those heads.
ahh yes steam cleaning the non port-injected valves 🥴
Sponsored