Sponsored

Slide Out Tailgate Tray: Gimmick or Necessity

What is your current view of the slide out tailgate, irrespective of availability?

• Total voters

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
To Roof Rack, or not to roof rack? That is the question. If I was going to be heavily relying on roof rack storage, the tailgate would be important. Id rather level my floor with a drawer, but that is me. If I make a drawer myself and include a lid on the drawer, I can have both.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's a gimmick but a somewhat useful one. I could live without. A flip down tray from the door would be almost as useful.

I use my truck tailgate all the time though. Working, cooking, sitting. Be good to retain those options on an SUV.

I still think it's a cool idea. Depends how cool the price is on it.

I don't care if my floor is dead-nuts level or not so it doesn't matter in that way.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Storing doors onboard is the gimmick. The tailgate seems very useful for my needs.
That's a good point. I'd still utilize the door storage more than the tailgate however, so I'd have to pass...

...if I was getting a 4 door and had the choice. Ford made the decision real easy for the 2 door crowd.

DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have to say that I have been jazzed by the slide out tailgate since the day I saw it. The longer I look at it and think about it, I am starting to wonder if it really has much value at all. It gets a 10 for cool, but does it really serve much purpose?
Agreed... But I think storing the doors is cooler. And that can't be done with the slide out.

tlubull

Base
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
Your Bronco Model
Base
If I was to do 4 door, the biggest benefit for me would be the extra foot or so for sleeping and the level floor at the fold down; again for sleeping.

The floor can be levelled with $30 of lumber ($60 right now). I'm 6'1" and that extra foot of length would be nice.

Sponsored

ironmike

Raptor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
To me it’s a kluge for the lack of a swing down tailgate. So given that’s not happening, I’d settle for fold-down shelf hung on the interior of the tailgate. If I want to sit, I’ll take a chair. If I need flat surfaces to lay out gear or food, I’ll take a table. If I need a roomy place to sleep, that’s what tents are for.

And of course there’s that (aftermarket) tailgate shelf. Thank God for the AM...

Rednek

Black Diamond
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BD/2023 Maverick XLT/02 F150/68 Torino
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You forgot all the above in poll?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah... you need to add the choice.... "I wanted it, but now that I can't store my doors, I'm OUT"

Seriously, this is ass backwards. If the tailgate ruins the onboard storage, then why would they not offer this in only a 2 door where they already lost their storage, and throw them a bone.

Again, another feature that c_ck-blocks other features (like a winch and 360)

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think alot of new owners are going to be suprised how delicate doors are after removal ,putting them in the back for a ride home isnt going to be fast,fun,easy . Just leave them home! as for the pull out table ,aftermarket ,or stuff from home depot will work .

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Storing doors onboard is the gimmick. The tailgate seems very useful for my needs.
After watching the video on how to store the doors on board I have to agree. That's a lot of work just to be able to carry your doors around. I'd rather just take them off and store them in the garage until I get home.
Sponsored