Sponsored

Slide Out Tailgate Tray: Gimmick or Necessity

What is your current view of the slide out tailgate, irrespective of availability?

• Total voters

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Meh, it looked cool at first and it's only there to try and heal the wounds of them not using a drop down tailgate in the first place like they should have.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Storing doors onboard is the gimmick. The tailgate seems very useful for my needs.
The only time I could see storing them back there is if you're away on vacation and want to just take them off for a drive. When we were at Zion we spent one day just cruising around checking out the area and sights so it would've been nice there. Our hotel room was on the second floor around the back so it be a PITA bringing them back there. Other then that you're right, it's a gimmick.

Reldn

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4Runner SR5P, '17 Patriot, '04 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's definitely a neat feature, but, it's not something I really have much use for.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don't need it. And it's probably not available for a 2 door anyway. I think I'm going to build a nice lockable drawer unit. Maybe with a top that also covers the carpeted back seat backs of the otherwise MGV interior.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only want it for leveling the floors off since we keep the rear bench folded flat at all times for the 2 dogs. Those people thinking theyll store their doors back there, will do it a few times and be done. Id rather see out the rear view mirror, hang the doors on my garage wall or store them in camp when out in the backwoods. I stored them inside my condo on a diy cart when I didnt have a garage. In a hotel, thats what hotel carts are for. You will not be storing the doors in the cargo when off-roading.

Sponsored

Ripcurl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DodgeRam 1500 Laramie, HarleyDavidson 48
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Neither a gimmick nor a necessity, if you have it you'll use it, if not, you won't miss it. I use the tailgate on my pickup all the time, but it is less awkward just to sit on without the swing gate right there I guess.

Not available in my 2DR build, but hopefully it can support a few hundred pounds, especially for guys/girls standing on it to help load up top, assuming you have a build that can handle the roof rack ;)

Silver&Black_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Sherief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GC (2010), '21 Bronco BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I plan on storing my doors onboard about every other NEVER!

If you're frequently using the roof rack, you should prob include the tailgate slide out. Whenever you need to access or secure items on the roof rails, slide out the tailgate, stand on it (400 lbs capacity), and it'll make everything much easier.....especially if you don't have tube steps, and for those of us under 6ft.

Edit: Definitely not waiting for this option with my Day 1 Res. I'll look at aftermarket options, or have Ford install it upon availability using my Ford points.

Last edited:

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What’s the difference between sitting on the tailgate and sitting in the cargo area?

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What’s the difference between sitting on the tailgate and sitting in the cargo area?
Really not much. Both work. But sitting on my flat truck tailgate is more comfortable than sitting on the uneven lip in the trunk of my SUV.

Depends how often you sit there. I use my tailgate to sit on almost every day. Changing in/out of my work boots. Gearing up to ski or ride. Setting out my climbing gear. Etc.

Sponsored

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
To Roof Rack, or not to roof rack? That is the question. If I was going to be heavily relying on roof rack storage, the tailgate would be important. Id rather level my floor with a drawer, but that is me. If I make a drawer myself and include a lid on the drawer, I can have both.
the bumper here looks large enough to give you enough space to reach the roof rack. Otherwise you have to open the rear glass, swing out the swing gate, pull out the tailgate, and then close the rear glass to be able to access the roof by standing on the tailgate.

Ford Bronco Slide Out Tailgate Tray: Gimmick or Necessity 1609520107770

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
This is why it should have been a fold down tailgate with power roll down window
Fold down? And WTH are you going to do about a spare tire? Where would you put the spare?

A 35” wheel weighs about 100 lbs. Spare tires need to stay in the back where they put it and able to move out of the way to access the back storage. Not possible to put a spare on your fold down tailgate idea and be able to get inside the Bronco. Most people can’t even lift a 35” tire off the tire holder alone and you want to add the weight of a tailgate to a tire when storing gear in the back?

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fold down? And WTH are you going to do about a spare tire? Where would you put the spare?

A 35” wheel weighs about 100 lbs. Spare tires need to stay in the back where they put it and able to move out of the way to access the back storage. Not possible to put a spare on your fold down tailgate idea and be able to get inside the Bronco. Most people can’t even lift a 35” tire off the tire holder alone and you want to add the weight of a tailgate to a tire when storing gear in the back?
They could've used a swing carrier like on a FSB

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Same solution previous Broncos used. ??‍♂
Sponsored