Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Drove to Sierras this morning with my son for a day trip. Snowed all day and Bronco performed without issue. Ate lunch at China Peak Ski Resort and then drove home after doi g donuts in a parking lot with 2-3 feet of powder
20211227_110453.jpg
video or it didn't happen...
Sponsored

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Awesome to hear about these Broncos performing so well up there.
One of my goals with the Bronco is to be able to take the family up into the Sierras after snows like this, and keeping the KO2s for just such a situation is one of the main reasons I opted to forego Sasquatch.
For those that have been driving around up there, did you air down at all? (Or up, as I know of some people that actually air up in such conditions)

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We went up to the Sierras for Christmas and got absolutely dumped on, 1-2 feet of snow in 1 night. I didn't quite realize just how much snow we were going to get overnight, and as we were staying at a hotel I had to park outside overnight.

The night before:
20211225_171652_2.jpg

The morning after:
20211226_090117.jpg

I was not prepared at all for this amount of snow, no brush, shovels, anything. But like every good Cali boy, I did have a pair of flip flops in the back that I was able to use to clear my windshield lol 😂

Resized_20211226_102336(3).jpeg

There was also quite the snow berm that had been built up in front of the truck from them plowing the parking lot. Again I didn't have a shovel, so I decided to just yolo it and was able to drive over it pretty easily after putting it into 4H.
A downside of the soft top of course is no re-window defroster, so I had to manually try to scrape the snow off the back plastic.

After clearing enough snow to be in a somewhat drivable state:
20211226_103241.jpg

20211226_103021_2.jpg

In hindsight my big concern would be I don't know how much snow the soft top can actually support. Thankfully the top didn't out right crumble or give out. Sitting inside you can definitely see the top material sagging down inbetween the cross supports. I could also see the top over the rear quarter windows was very strained. After the snow finally melts I'm a little curious to see if there has been any deformation of the top due to the weight, I'll also have to test the functionality to make sure it still folds back easily.

As for the roads and winter conditions we were mostly driving around on snowy roads, sometimes sanded, moving later into the day of slushy and icy roads. This is a stock badlands on 33" K02s and I left it in 4A all day and it was an absolute beast. No slipping or sliding and felt very composed the whole time. I felt very confident, even with seeing at least 5 cars that had slid off the road during the day. Here's some final pictures driving around during the day.

20211226_123727.jpg

20211226_123738.jpg

20211226_124726.jpg

View attachment 231640
Curious and I assume you would have stated but any issues with locks, opening doors, or errors due to the cold? Someone else in the forum posted issues from the cold and curious if that was just an outlier.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We were up as well in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We had a garage so no issues with the snow on the top of our soft top. I do agree that the Bronco was a beast and had no issues in the snow. We felt very safe driving around town. Also, the cold wasn’t an issue with the soft top. The heater and heated seats are legit!

1D4B239A-9CF2-4400-B83F-1EB3DD7F0D49.jpeg
Great to hear it handled well in the snow and cold. I have nearly your same build and after some folks posted some issues with the cold I was getting concerned. We will get hit with some pretty cold temps in Chicago soon.

OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Friendly advice. ALWAYS clear as much snow off your hood and roof as possible as a courtesy to drivers around you. You live and learn! How was the inside temp? Any issue with the auto climate control holding a warm temp?
I felt fine in the front seat. I think the back seats might be a little colder than ideal. I've found you just have to turn the temp a little higher than you might think and I also put it on the "Auto" mode with 3 lights activated.

Sponsored
OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Curious and I assume you would have stated but any issues with locks, opening doors, or errors due to the cold? Someone else in the forum posted issues from the cold and curious if that was just an outlier.
Passenger doors and rear door open easily. Truck remote started without a problem. Didn't notice any errors. So nothing bad to report on my end!

OP
OP

CaliforniaBurrito

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The number of “Karens” in this thread is amusing. 😂🤣
They have a point, but at the same time I don't think I committed a crime against humanity like many are implying. If you are close enough for the snow to fall off my roof onto your windshield, you are too close to me. Also it is snow...

I was far from the most dangerous person out driving that day.

Last edited:

Sponsored

@BadBlueBronco

Badlands
First Name
Kc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jedmisten

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great to hear it handled well in the snow and cold. I have nearly your same build and after some folks posted some issues with the cold I was getting concerned. We will get hit with some pretty cold temps in Chicago soon.
What have you heard as far as issues? To be honest, I knew what I was getting into. Noisier than the MIC top, probably colder, and ugly rear windows. With that said, we love our soft top. Yeah down the line, I may want a hard top but right now we are super happy with it. The AC and heater is fantastic.

mdk77

Base
First Name
BM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Base SAS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

stellandter

Black Diamond
First Name
Stella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mits outlander, Chrysler Pacifica, 67 Chevy Impala
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They have a point, but at the same time I don't think I committed a crime against humanity like many are implying. If you are close enough for the snow to fall off my roof onto your windshield, you are too close to me. Also it is snow...

I was far from the most dangerous person out driving that day.
Dude. It comes off in huge sheets when you're driving down the road and slams into the cars behind you, especially if it starts to freeze more. You do not have to be driving close to someone to be blasted by their roof snow. Happens every snow here in VA when people can't be bothered to scrape their roof and think they'll just blast it off on the highway instead. Would you drive along with a mattress on your roof unsecured?
Sponsored