First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After researching various aftermarket filters, the trade off seems to be more airflow = less filtration but better power/acceleration or fuel economy. Or less airflow but, better filtration sticking with a paper filter. Personally, I'll stick with the better filtration over airflow.

While researching, I found Volant (https://volant.com/). If they design an intake for the Bronco that uses Donaldson Powercore G2 ultra-web filters, I'll upgrade to that because they filter better than paper and probably match the same airflow rate or slightly better.
Your research is correct, Powercore is the only aftermarket option that improves both airflow and filtration over stock. The Donaldson filter media is the same as used on Ford and Chevrolet diesel trucks from the factory.

I did a write up on the Powercore back in 2009 when I got a unit from Volant after talking to them at SEMA. I did before and after oil analysis, silica levels dropped with the Powercore. I’m not sure what happened to the pictures on the thread. The first filter was still looking good after 70K on my diesel truck when I replaced it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com...107/volant-powercore-intake-56k-death-230747/

i have been using K&N for over 20 years, never had a problem. i just keep them oiled and clean them when they get dirty. being able to rinse them out just makes sense to me.
Oiled air filters allow fine dust through that gets to the turbos and rings. Prove it to yourself by forcing some cheesecloth down the intake tube. It won’t come out clean.

Been running the Donaldson PowerCore filters in my Volant box on my Xterra for 16 years. I have two filters that rotate out, you need them dry after cleaning before oiling so this helps out. I use the K&N recharger kit that comes with cleaner and oil. I went this route because I hate single use stuff when there's reusable methods. Point is these filters hold up well over the years and I have had no issues with my MAF sensor getting gummed up with oil/dirt.
Donaldson Powercore is a dry filter, no oil used as it would ruin the filter media. I’m not sure what you are actually using, but Volant does offer regular oiled filters.

If you thing about KNF and other filter and air intakes are design to let more air in and if you in or do off-roading in area with dirt or lots of dust then you are sucking in that dust .I live in Vegas and I was going get a cold intake for my KL back in 16 and fond reading on jeep forums that people had lot of problems with sucking in dust and went back to paper filters and I even wrote KNF and AFE and they said best to use paper filters .
The dust getting through the oiled filter is real. Also, turbocharged engines strip the oil off the filter depositing it in the mass air flow sensor, intake path, and turbo.

Oiled air filters are a relic of the carburetor era, and should be relegated to the junk bin now.

I’ll be sticking with whatever Ford ships on my 2.3L. The OEM’s do a solid job of engineering these things.
Sponsored

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's a warrantied turbo engine.....stick with whatever Ford gives you for an air filter. No gas engine will benefit enough for you to be able to tell the difference by switching to another air filtration system. Diesels are a different story.

BroncoBC

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be a Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used k&n drop in forever it has always given me 5 to 7 miles more per gallon. Plus I never have to buy another air cleaner .
5-7 mpg with just a filter? That’s hard to believe... Diesel trucks don’t even see gains like that

KirchTX

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Project Farm is gospel as far as I’m concerned.

airishfan

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your research is correct, Powercore is the only aftermarket option that improves both airflow and filtration over stock. The Donaldson filter media is the same as used on Ford and Chevrolet diesel trucks from the factory.

I did a write up on the Powercore back in 2009 when I got a unit from Volant after talking to them at SEMA. I did before and after oil analysis, silica levels dropped with the Powercore. I’m not sure what happened to the pictures on the thread. The first filter was still looking good after 70K on my diesel truck when I replaced it.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com...107/volant-powercore-intake-56k-death-230747/

Oiled air filters allow fine dust through that gets to the turbos and rings. Prove it to yourself by forcing some cheesecloth down the intake tube. It won’t come out clean.

Donaldson Powercore is a dry filter, no oil used as it would ruin the filter media. I’m not sure what you are actually using, but Volant does offer regular oiled filters.

The dust getting through the oiled filter is real. Also, turbocharged engines strip the oil off the filter depositing it in the mass air flow sensor, intake path, and turbo.

Oiled air filters are a relic of the carburetor era, and should be relegated to the junk bin now.

I’ll be sticking with whatever Ford ships on my 2.3L. The OEM’s do a solid job of engineering these things.
I am the same ,I dont get why people dont think dust is not getting by the little holes in them .

Sponsored

330SMG

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 ,89 325i and 72 Dodge Charger SE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used k&n drop in forever it has always given me 5 to 7 miles more per gallon. Plus I never have to buy another air cleaner .
This is so comical it defies logic.
K&N just let more dirt in, they flow no better than a NAPA gold air filter. There are test online showing this.

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is so comical it defies logic.
K&N just let more dirt in, they flow no better than a NAPA gold air filter. There are test online showing this.
What's comical is your reply. I used them 20 plus years and have always got 15 to 20% better gas mileage. I haven't used the Napa gold so not sure about it.This are my findings. Take them however you want to.

OP
OP
NachoMama

NachoMama

First Name
TIm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yes, all have their advantages and disadvantages so, just gotta figure out what suits your needs/goals the best and know what the benefits and trade offs are with different types of filters.
Sponsored