Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am starting to look at ways to lift my Badlands an inch or so, along with level it. I am trying to figure out if I can just buy the Bilsteins 6100's and swap my springs to them, or do I have to buy the the 6112 kit with springs.

I have all the tools I need to do it myself so install isn't an issue.

Just starting to put together how much more money I will be needing to spend.

AKA how many hours do I have to work to buy them.

I do have the SAS package so I know the are not the Hitachi springs and shocks.
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am starting to look at ways to lift my Badlands an inch or so, along with level it. I am trying to figure out if I can just buy the Bilsteins 6100's and swap my springs to them, or do I have to buy the the 6112 kit with springs.

I have all the tools I need to do it myself so install isn't an issue.

Just starting to put together how much more money I will be needing to spend.

AKA how many hours do I have to work to buy them.

I do have the SAS package so I know the are not the Hitachi springs and shocks.
You can just swap over your SAS springs. Did mine 2 weeks ago and super happy with it. Leveled and lifted it and rides so much better. Best price I found was about $850 for all 4. Then sell your existing SAS shocks to help pay for the 6100s.

Screenshot_20230526_092849_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can just swap over your SAS springs. Did mine 2 weeks ago and super happy with it. Leveled and lifted it and rides so much better. Best price I found was about $850 for all 4. Then sell your existing SAS shocks to help pay for the 6100s.

Ford Bronco Stock SAS springs with 6100 Screenshot_20230526_092849_Chrome
Thanks. I was pretty sure I could, but I have been pretty wrong before(-;

Looks like retirement is a little farther away(-;

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks. I was pretty sure I could, but I have been pretty wrong before(-;

Looks like retirement is a little farther away(-;
$850 is a great deal. And then sell you existing shocks to help offset. Ride is so much better!

Gravel28

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Added the 6100 to my SAS springs and absolutely love it. I had the ford dealership put them on since I didn't have the tools. Used my ford points. A couple of items to note: i didn't get the full 2.3 lift in the front and it still has a slight rake which is fine with me. Ground to flare front is 39 1/2 and back is 41 1/4.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Mlarv

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

$850 is a great deal. And then sell you existing shocks to help offset. Ride is so much better!
It says 4 door I have a 2 door are they the same do you know?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

It says 4 door I have a 2 door are they the same do you know?
Yes. Youtube video of a lady putting them on her 2 door. Go to YouTube and type in bilstein 6100

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The issue most have with stock SAS springs is that they aren’t heavy enough for the application and the sag + nose dive + body roll needs to be remedied. 6100’s are similar to adding a perch collar to your stock setup but aren’t really addressing the issue

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The issue most have with stock SAS springs is that they aren’t heavy enough for the application and the sag + nose dive + body roll needs to be remedied. 6100’s are similar to adding a perch collar to your stock setup but aren’t really addressing the issue
6100s are a 2.5 shock so much more of a solution than adding a perch collar. When you put a 6100 ans SAS shock side by side you really see the difference. Icon and others are running the 2.5s as well. I have noticed no nose dive and much less body roll. Much more heavy duty and stiffer but handles bumps much better. I have a heavy bumper and winch added and can't even feel the extra weight.

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

6100s are a 2.5 shock so much more of a solution than adding a perch collar. When you put a 6100 ans SAS shock side by side you really see the difference. Icon and others are running the 2.5s as well. I have noticed no nose dive and much less body roll. Much more heavy duty and stiffer but handles bumps much better. I have a heavy bumper and winch added and can't even feel the extra weight.
The shock has nothing to do with supporting the weight. You’re seeing less spring sag/dive because you’ve pre-compressed the spring further with the 6100’s just like a perch collar on stock Bilstein’s artificially adjusting the spring rate (although reducing useable droop since you’re riding higher in the useable stroke at ride height)

Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The shock has nothing to do with supporting the weight. You’re seeing less spring sag/dive because you’ve pre-compressed the spring further with the 6100’s just like a perch collar on stock Bilstein’s artificially adjusting the spring rate (although reducing useable droop since you’re riding higher in the useable stroke at ride height)
Not sure but the SAS springs ans 6100s support the weight and lift just fine and my extra 200lbs in the front. Fixed dive, roll and rides so much better than SAS. Watch the youtube videos and reviews and decide on what route you want. But for net $500 to level and ride bettervanf get a 2.5 shock it was well worth it.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The shock is just a damper. It acts or applies a resistance (force) as a function of the displacement rate or velocity. It does not apply static load resistance.

The spring force is a function of spring rate times displacement. By compressing the spring or moving the collar up the shock you essentially add preload or force to the spring. This increased force acts against the static weight of the vehicle and provides lift. However a new equilibrium position within the stroke range is obtained. This alters the usable stroke. With increased preload there will be more usable stroke in compression and less in tension. Less usable droop.

The increased preload is helping to support the extra 200 lbs. the digressive shock valving and/or improvements of 6100 vs the stock SAS shocks are altering the ride characteristics (roll and nose dive). Since those are dynamic events causing a displacement rate in the shock.

I have the 6100s and they are an inexpensive improvement. I also like that they are adjustable with respect to preload.

sledboy

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, RZR XP4 Turbo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about "... handles bumps much better." I am looking for a shock that will provide more complience or a softer ride when going slowly or at medium speed over small or medium sized bumps. The SAS Bilstiens are so harsh and rough over these small bumps and slow or medium speed. Do the 6100's help with this? I keep hearing that the 6100s are firmer so I am apprehensive about buying them because I don't want a stiffer ride. I want a softer ride.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for the info. Can you tell me more about "... handles bumps much better." I am looking for a shock that will provide more complience or a softer ride when going slowly or at medium speed over small or medium sized bumps. The SAS Bilstiens are so harsh and rough over these small bumps and slow or medium speed. Do the 6100's help with this? I keep hearing that the 6100s are firmer so I am apprehensive about buying them because I don't want a stiffer ride. I want a softer ride.
6100s will be stiffer but ride better of that makes sense. My 5100s on my F150 ride much softer.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The shock is just a damper. It acts or applies a resistance (force) as a function of the displacement rate or velocity. It does not apply static load resistance.

The spring force is a function of spring rate times displacement. By compressing the spring or moving the collar up the shock you essentially add preload or force to the spring. This increased force acts against the static weight of the vehicle and provides lift. However a new equilibrium position within the stroke range is obtained. This alters the usable stroke. With increased preload there will be more usable stroke in compression and less in tension. Less usable droop.

The increased preload is helping to support the extra 200 lbs. the digressive shock valving and/or improvements of 6100 vs the stock SAS shocks are altering the ride characteristics (roll and nose dive). Since those are dynamic events causing a displacement rate in the shock.

I have the 6100s and they are an inexpensive improvement. I also like that they are adjustable with respect to preload.
Yep, in short the shock regulates the spring. It's the preload on the spring that gives you the lift 🤠
Sponsored