First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride; VW Passat; Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looking to purchase amp and sub for the Bronco. Worked with Crutchfield to figure out what I want. Main question is for installation. If I can get the amp mounted in the glove box area of the front dashboard, is it OK to run only the speaker wire to the rear for the sub? Seems like this would reduce the amount of cables needed. I previously bought the plug and play kit and the kicker 200 amp that I hope to install at the steering wheel location at the same time for this project.

I have not messed with car audio in 15+ years, but always had the amp close to the subwoofer. What are the concerns if the amp is located in the front dash and the sub is in the cargo area? Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Sponsored

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I did not do the install, but my installer put the Kicker 200 near the glove box but didn't put it in the glove box to let me have storage. There wasn't enough room to add another amp up there so he put the sub amp (Kicker 500) in the little cubby hole under the trunk mat. Works great.

OP
OP

22 Bronco SRT

Black Diamond
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Telluride; VW Passat; Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you. I was hoping to install the Kicker 200 at the steering wheel and the sub amp behind the glove box. My question is will that run of just speaker wire to the rear for the sub cause issues? Seems to me that this is a good option as all the power, ground, and input (Speaker level to RCA) can be minimized and kept hidden and relatively out of elements if caught in rain.

Swabodda

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex, Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thank you. I was hoping to install the Kicker 200 at the steering wheel and the sub amp behind the glove box. My question is will that run of just speaker wire to the rear for the sub cause issues? Seems to me that this is a good option as all the power, ground, and input (Speaker level to RCA) can be minimized and kept hidden and relatively out of elements if caught in rain.
This also my plan, but I've been looking to see how plausible it is as well. My Wife's Flex has the amp under the drivers seat and the sub boxa ll the way behind the third row. My guess is that the run from the Bronco's dash to the cargo area just behind the rear seat isn't much farther, if at all. I second guess a lot though, haha!

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is not a problem with running the amp in the front and routing the speaker wire to the rear, you are actually less likely to pick up radiated noise and it easier to use a common ground (ground loops are often the source of noise). What you will struggle with is space and heat. Two amps tucked up into the dash is starting to seem problematic IMO. I used a "marine grade" amp and put it under the seat. Not a perfect solution, but it fit and was relatively easy. I am not a water fording kind of guy (I saw too many endless claims and total losses as a claims adjuster, where people got vehicles wet) I did run a common ground all the way to the engine bay.

Sponsored