hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I had trouble programming a new fob also, because the owner manual instructions are not very clear. So I went and edited them, below.

The "backup slot" is inside of the center console. Lift the carpeted insert and you'll see it on the bottom.

It's a good idea to go ahead and create at least one new fob while you have BOTH originals. Once you lose an original, it's too late to program a new one yourself, and you'll pay several hundred $$ for a locksmith with the right scan tool to make a new one.

Attachments

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How much was a new fob? Thinking I’ll do this since my wife tends to misplace “my key’ for her jeep. Happened on the last 2 jeeps lol.

hoss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
How much was a new fob? Thinking I’ll do this since my wife tends to misplace “my key’ for her jeep. Happened on the last 2 jeeps lol.
There are several companies on line selling them for around $80. Note that for that price they aren’t factory new - they are reconditioned used - but the one I got certainly looks new.

Irideducs

Black Diamond
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had issues but it finally worked ,, using the same method as my 2018 expedition ..buttons facing down and hold the fob in place.. do the whole sequence in less than 30 seconds.. and your good.. found brand new fobs for 79 bucks now I can put my original keys away without worry... though I'd share.... here is where I got mine.. came in 2 days and they are brand new...2021 Ford Bronco Smart Keyless Entry Remote 164-R8198 5933985 M3N-A2C931426 (carandtruckremotes.com)

Ford Bronco successfully added 3rd and 4th key fobs Capture 2.JPG

Ford Bronco successfully added 3rd and 4th key fobs Capture 2.JPG
Thanks for this. I just successfully programmed a third key after several failures.

Mine finally worked when I put the buttons face down at each step, which is never mentioned in the instructions.

I would also note that when you push the ignition button with the in programmed key in the spot, nothing happens for a few sections (blank screen - no lights) - Then you get the message that the key was programmed successfully. This is in contrast to the previous steps with the factory keys where the dash lights come on right away.

I hope this helps make it easier for others.

Sponsored

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought new fob from a dealer on fordparts.com for $41and the little key part for $6.99 on eBay. After almost losing a fob, I thought it was worth $50 to make a third. Thank you for the info.

shortround_

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2d Bronco, eruption green metallica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Wanted to confirm this works and a big thanks to @Jbronc74 for putting this together.
About $70 for the key, programming took a few minutes, and another $70 to get the mechanical key cut. Now I have three good keys.
Sponsored