First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Outerbanks- Velocity Blue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love my Bronco in "Safari Mode" I want to leave it like this the majority of the summer. I do park in the garage but curious what do you guys do when it rains and not near home. Windows are a PITA to put back on in a quick pinch. Do you just roll with it and let it get wet? Last year it was brand new and I was hyper-sensitive, this year I just want to enjoy it. SIde note, its an OBX not with a wash out interior

safarimode.jpg
Sponsored

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would be leery of getting it rained on/in. I have the wash out interior and thought it meant "waterproof." That is not the case. There are reports of water collecting in the window switches and shorting out. I can't imagine what would happen to the seat electronics if left exposed. That being said, safari mode is my favorite as well and do it when the weather forecast if favorable for the weekend.

OP
OP
Bevans86

Bevans86

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I will probably do my best to keep her tucked in on heavy rain days and see if I can get my wife to let me borrow the Bronco Sport for that day!

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought this cargo cover on Amazon and modified it a lot. Added some velcro to attach it to sides and back. It sits on top of the soft top rail on the back and sides via velcro. Obviously no side or rear windows in. I also cut 4 holes toward the front of the vehicle and use the back seat headrests to hold it in place there by removing headreasts and inserting back through the 4 holes in the cover. It already had cutouts and zippers for the roll bars, but had to cutout and area for the front soft top frame brackets. Be nice if that as zippered like roll bar. Sorry, no pics with it attached, still too cold here. It does OK, keeps most of the water out. Biggest issue is it the cover itself does hold some water with the cloth backing and gets a little musty after a while. It is all wrinkled from storage in these pics, but it stretches out and looks pretty good when installed.
(The cover does have to be removed if you want the side and rear windows back on, it can't stay on with the windows on.)

I would like to see somebody make a cover for this application. I have thought about taking this to a local marine upholstery shop to see if they could start fresh and clean it up some with zippers, etc.

Ford Bronco Summer Driving in Safari Mode 20240223_093039

Bottom
Ford Bronco Summer Driving in Safari Mode 20240223_093112

Last edited:

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You only concern is really with the back cargo area getting rained on. That said, see post above or search Amazon for a soft tonneau cover. I know Ford has one, but there might be cheaper options.

Sponsored

Brostango

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 F150 Crew, 2016 ATS Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've gone through two summers in safari mode and it's fine. I live 12 miles from the coast and most mornings are wet. If it's really wet, just a quick wipe down in the cargo area is all that's needed. Front interior stays dry. The only time I put the windows on in the summer is if I want to give her a good wash or when I know I will be going on a dusty trail.
Being able to drop my top anytime in 1 minute is truly my favorite part of having a soft top.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I only put my soft top windows in if I know I’ll be parking somewhere where security might be an issue (I know, I know it’s a soft top). As others have said even in heavy rain you’ll stay dry up front. Rear cargo area can get wet NP. I run safari all year long in FL

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You only concern is really with the back cargo area getting rained on. That said, see post above or search Amazon for a soft tonneau cover. I know Ford has one, but there might be cheaper options.
Missing OP's point, he has a soft top. None of the covers, including Ford's, will work without mods like I did. You would have to take the soft top completely off to use standard tonneau covers, then you aren't in safari mode anymore.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Missing OP's point, he has a soft top. None of the covers, including Ford's, will work without mods like I did. You would have to take the soft top completely off to use standard tonneau covers, then you aren't in safari mode anymore.
Ah, didn't realize you had to do that if you had a soft top.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bevans86

Bevans86

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought my Bronco late September, basically October and haven’t gotten to experience a true summer with it…yet.

However, I had a Jeep Wrangler TJ in my past life. Like the Bronco, it came with a hard top. During the summer, I started with a bikini top (driver and passenger cover only). Loved this until I got caught on the rain one too many times. Part of the issue was the way it attached to the roll bar as there was a gap. Rain water would collect and if you went around a corner or had weight shifts in the Jeep like when you get out water would dump down to that gap and drench you.

My last straw was a weekend at the lake camping. Forecast was good. It was wrong. Started pouring and I had no doors and the bikini. I left early but by the time I made it home, I was drenched along with the entire interior of the Jeep. I had standing water in the tub and the carpet was partially floating. I pulled the carpet, pulled the drain plugs and let it pee all over my garage floor. No real damage other than the carpet always had a smell despite numerous cleaning attempts.

At this point, I decided dual tops was a better solution for me. Fall & winter I ran the hard top and spring/summer/early fall I ran the soft top. I still ran no doors often. And 99% of the time the soft top was down and windows at home. When rain events occurred I would pull over at a car wash or overpass and flip the top up putting it into “safari mode”.

With my doors on and in safari mode, I had no worries. Some side/directional moisture occurs but nothing catastrophic. The doors off kind of depended. Still much better than the bikini and no door setup but on the highway you get some uplift from passing vehicles, etc. But overall I was pleased and didn’t consider it a problem.

As much as I love my Bronco I personally think it looks goofy in safari mode. It’s the way the back cantilevers out from the roll bar that creates that aesthetic. For that reason alone I would probably keep the soft top flipped down and run a true safari top like Bestop, or similar, which will provide a sunscreen but would follow the contours better. If you get into a down pour you could always flip the soft top up for better protection/coverage.

https://accessories.ford.com/bimini...4-door/?fmccmp=marketplace-gs-cta-accessories

https://www.bestop.com/products/mesh-safari-access-bimini-ford-2021-2022-bronco/

In my case, not having a soft top, I would target something more like the Bestop linked above but with better material instead of a mesh. But that’s just how I would roll.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Without the washout interior, I wouldn't want to get the interior wet. Heck, I have the washout interior, and still try to not get it soaked haha.

You could run into mildew and musty odours. If rain is in the forecast and you're parking outside, you might want to look at a cover for it, like from Broncover (there's others on the market too). If you're driving and it rains, well, I guess you're limited on your options. I'm with you - I found the windows to be a bit of a pain to take on and off, however if it's raining you'll likely get them on quicker than you expect.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I made side cages and added a rear net .
Keeps Trooper in and he keeps hands out.

Ford Bronco Summer Driving in Safari Mode FB_IMG_1691709124550

Ford Bronco Summer Driving in Safari Mode FB_IMG_1691709124550
I haven’t seen the nets in awhile. Where did you find them, and how is the quality? I wouldn’t mind those for my chocolate lab.

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@604Bronco raises a good point about overnight parking. In my situation with the Jeep, I always had it in the garage at my house. I was single at the time but unless I was staying the night at a buddies or had a great date with a girl or camping I didn’t have that worry.
Sponsored