Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I so wish we did have a cosco local. All we have is a Sams.
Ah...not a Sam's club member myself since we have both, and it looks like Sams does NOT use Top Tier...that sucks.
Sponsored

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not all detergents are the same, although most basic gasoline stock is. Follow the refinery delivery tanker and watch where it stops, and what additive the driver adds to the underground tank. Around here most gas comes from the refinery in Warren County and whether you buy at their branded stations or at Citgo branded you are getting the exact same fuel.

I have been buying the highest octane I can get since my first supercharged and turbocharged vehicles dating back to 1985-1990. BMW almost demands that you only use Top Tier fuels and I try to stick with that. I don't especially care for ethanol laced fuel and our Broncos are not supposed to be fed anything above 15%. On our road trip to Colorado I filled one tank with 0 ethanol and got lower mpg, so I went back to the 10%. This was interesting since ( i read it in a magazine (- remember those before the internet) that the higher the alcohol the lower the mpg and it will be proven out when NASCAR goes 100% corn stock in a couple years. Their 17 gallons won't go as many laps, guaranteed. (Indy Cars are already scheduled to follow the alcohol path of F1)

But the Broncos are engineered for 10% and also engineered to increase power based on octane. So go for the octane and Top Tier, besides 93 octane 10/90 costs less than 91 0/100.

However, on small engines, yes, use nothing with alcohol and nothing less than 89 octane (straight from Kohler engine school)

20 years ago there was also something wrong with pump gas sold just in NY state that caused 2 cycle oil to not stay in suspension and a whole bunch of chainsaws seixed up
My wife used to work at a refinery, she determined the mix ratios to get all the different octanes. There were times when the "87", "89", and "91 " were all 91. The only difference was that the "supreme" had the extra additives.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My wife used to work at a refinery, she determined the mix ratios to get all the different octanes. There were times when the "87", "89", and "91 " were all 91. The only difference was that the "supreme" had the extra additives.

Man that just doesn't sound right. Octane rating is just that. Now if a Gas Station wants to sell you 91 octane at 87 octane prices, that is their choice but highly doubtful.

The Additives (cleaning packages) is separate from Octane and has nothing to so with pinging/timing.

And places like Chevron officially claim that all their gas grades are the same when it comes to their techron additive.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man that just doesn't sound right. Octane rating is just that. Now if a Gas Station wants to sell you 91 octane at 87 octane prices, that is their choice but highly doubtful.

The Additives (cleaning packages) is separate from Octane and has nothing to so with pinging/timing.

And places like Chevron officially claim that all their gas grades are the same when it comes to their techron additive.
Octane rating is just a minimum spec that it must meet. It’s not uncommon at all for low or mid grades to be just as high as premium as far as octane levels. Not saying this happens everywhere or is constant, but just because it says it’s 87 octane doesn’t mean it has to be exactly 87 octane. I just cannot be below that rating.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Octane rating is just a minimum spec that it must meet. It’s not uncommon at all for low or mid grades to be just as high as premium as far as octane levels. Not saying this happens everywhere or is constant, but just because it says it’s 87 octane doesn’t mean it has to be exactly 87 octane. I just cannot be below that rating.

Interesting...i mean i figured there were tolerances.. but If people are paying premium gas prices for 91+ and find out that the cheaper 87 is the same, i could see some law suits :)

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting...i mean i figured there were tolerances.. but If people are paying premium gas prices for 91+ and find out that the cheaper 87 is the same, i could see some law suits :)
I don’t see how there could be a lawsuit if you’re getting what you paid for lol

However, if it was the other was around gas stations can be fine huge amounts of money for selling lower octane than advertised because of the potential damage it could cause or because they’re trying to pass off regular gasoline as higher octane fuel to make larger profit from unknowing drivers. Hence why the numbers are typically higher, so they avoid these fines.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It may not sound right but if you read my previous post in this thread it may make more sense.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has been going on for decades no lawsuits yet. The main thing being how do you prove it.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like I said before don't over think this the 6g Bronco will run and live just fine on 87 from the Circle K type places. You can spend the big money on Chevron or Amoco ultimate but it isn't a must. The so called top tier gas comes out of the same pipe at the terminal as the standard stuff. The only difference is an additive or 2 that may or may not do anything. That's how they get away with it legally.

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have a lot a parameters they have to meet, things like vapor pressure, or the winter oxygenated fuel, plus the refinery doesn't just spit out perfect octane streams. They have to take the different streams, mix them at certain ratios, add specific elements to reduce vapor pressure or add oxygenation or...(Lord knows I didn't fully understand everything she told me). Sometimes you couldn't keep the octane low and meet all the other requirements.

Back when she was working I thought only the supreme had teckron. I had a budget car and just used cheap gas and never had a reason to worry about gas.

The bronco will be the first non budget car I will own (if I ever get it).

Sponsored

FIREGROUNDIMAGES

Wildtrak
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 HUMMER H3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I use the Techron additive in my C6 Corvette. I read that it keeps the gas gauge float, meter, etc. in the tank lubed and functioning. It's a very expensive repair bill when that part fails- and I read that it is a common failure and the Techron helps. So far, so good.......
How often would you recommend adding the Techron to the 2.7 Bronco for these same reasons?

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
How often would you recommend adding the Techron to the 2.7 Bronco for these same reasons?
I normally don't recommend fuel additives although the gas floats on the C6 Corvettes are known to go bad and you have to drop the entire back suspension and transmission to get to the fuel tank to fix it. So the additive was good preventive maintenance. I am not aware of such an issue with the Bronco but it you did want to use it I would throw a bottle in every 3-4 months. It certainly can't hurt.