First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I live in a area where the only 91 octane thats 100% gas is a unbreaded station.
I dont want to run ethanol so im not running top tier gas. Can i just use Techron every 3,000 miles (about once year for me) Shell does offer 87 octane thats 100% gas but it has the lower octane.
So im at a loss of getting lower octane or adding techron to get the 91.
Any thoughts
Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does it matter that much? 87 you get a little lower hp but it sounds like you don't drive that much and what's a few hp matter?

If you're going to get a lower Octane just to spend money on an additive to increase the Octane "about once a year" you might as well just fill with the higher Octane and call it a day...

And a quick Google search shows that fuel is regulated in Oklahoma so it shouldn't matter too much* where you fill up.

*older stations run the risk of water and debris in the tanks. But that's also regulated and laws to protect against that.

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sounds like a good plan. You earn points in my book for thinking about top tier detergents. My late chemical engineer uncle who worked for a major petroleum co. (and drove cars for 250k+ miles) would agree.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally I would go for quality over octane and not really worry about the techron. Any of the name brand gas stations will have enough additives to keep it clean.

Chevron IS the best but it costs.

Btw, I recently did some research and what I found was that google-fu says that for techron, you want to shoot for a 1 oz: 1 Gln ratio. The actual Chevron Gas tends to be a little less than that ironically.

But I would be surprised if adding techron to your gas only 1x per 3000 miles does anything but waste money.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Techron is not an octane booster. I plan to run it through my tank once per oil change just to keep things clean.

If you want to raise the octane rating of your fuel you need something like this:
https://boostane.com/
One can is about $20 and will raise 15 gallons of 87 up to 94 and 30 gallons to 93.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a reason you are concerned about ethanol? I know I avoid it like the plague for my boats, lawn equipment and other toys, but in the closed loop system like the Bronco, at max 10% I have never encountered a problem. I personally run 87 octane 90% of the time and try to stay with Costco or other "premium" blends, but the few times I have run "Rec Gas" in any of my turbo vehicles (4 different 2.7s) to see how it performed, it seemed noticeably lower on power.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not all detergents are the same, although most basic gasoline stock is. Follow the refinery delivery tanker and watch where it stops, and what additive the driver adds to the underground tank. Around here most gas comes from the refinery in Warren County and whether you buy at their branded stations or at Citgo branded you are getting the exact same fuel.

I have been buying the highest octane I can get since my first supercharged and turbocharged vehicles dating back to 1985-1990. BMW almost demands that you only use Top Tier fuels and I try to stick with that. I don't especially care for ethanol laced fuel and our Broncos are not supposed to be fed anything above 15%. On our road trip to Colorado I filled one tank with 0 ethanol and got lower mpg, so I went back to the 10%. This was interesting since ( i read it in a magazine (- remember those before the internet) that the higher the alcohol the lower the mpg and it will be proven out when NASCAR goes 100% corn stock in a couple years. Their 17 gallons won't go as many laps, guaranteed. (Indy Cars are already scheduled to follow the alcohol path of F1)

But the Broncos are engineered for 10% and also engineered to increase power based on octane. So go for the octane and Top Tier, besides 93 octane 10/90 costs less than 91 0/100.

However, on small engines, yes, use nothing with alcohol and nothing less than 89 octane (straight from Kohler engine school)

20 years ago there was also something wrong with pump gas sold just in NY state that caused 2 cycle oil to not stay in suspension and a whole bunch of chainsaws seixed up

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use the Techron additive in my C6 Corvette. I read that it keeps the gas gauge float, meter, etc. in the tank lubed and functioning. It's a very expensive repair bill when that part fails- and I read that it is a common failure and the Techron helps. So far, so good.......

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not all detergents are the same, although most basic gasoline stock is. Follow the refinery delivery tanker and watch where it stops, and what additive the driver adds to the underground tank. Around here most gas comes from the refinery in Warren County and whether you buy at their branded stations or at Citgo branded you are getting the exact same fuel.
Just to be a bit more specific, the driver isn't adding any additive to the stations tanks, and you cannot know which additive the station gets by watching him offload.

The additive as injected into the load as the tanker is filled at the truck rack.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went through the transition to gas with ethanol twice, once on the island of Maui, and then when I moved to Tennessee. My experience was the loss of 4-5 MPG when using the new adulterated fuel.

My take is run the Chevron "white" gas and then do your Techron thing every time you change your oil. My guess is that you will see a similar performance/MPG boost just using pure gas. I've never seen the math work out in the favor of pure gas, but I always feel better when I run it, but then I am a silly person.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Watzupdogs

Watzupdogs

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for all the advice. I filled up with 100% gas at SHELL with 87 octaine.
Wasnt able to get 91 except at unbranded.
In the future i might switch every other fill up from 91 unbranded then back to SHELL 87 for the additional additives.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went through the transition to gas with ethanol twice, once on the island of Maui, and then when I moved to Tennessee. My experience was the loss of 4-5 MPG when using the new adulterated fuel.

My take is run the Chevron "white" gas and then do your Techron thing every time you change your oil. My guess is that you will see a similar performance/MPG boost just using pure gas. I've never seen the math work out in the favor of pure gas, but I always feel better when I run it, but then I am a silly person.
It makes sense, ethanol has less potential energy, but it's resistance to pre-ignition let's the timing and boost parameters to compensate or in some cases exceed what straight gas could produce in forced induction engines. The hottest tunes on the 2.7 generally run E85 (although economy takes an even bigger hit :))

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

To bad it sounds like you don't have a Costco nearby. I don't know how they all work, but the ones near me only have two grades, 87 & 91, both are supposed to be top tier 1, and the 91 octane is basically the price of other name brand stations lower grades like 87/89.

OP
OP
Watzupdogs

Watzupdogs

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Base
To bad it sounds like you don't have a Costco nearby. I don't know how they all work, but the ones near me only have two grades, 87 & 91, both are supposed to be top tier 1, and the 91 octane is basically the price of other name brand stations lower grades like 87/89.
I so wish we did have a cosco local. All we have is a Sams.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As someone who delivered gas from terminal to station I can tell you there isn't as much difference in gasoline as you think. Premium gas at the no name mini mart is the same as the name brand premium gas. Amoco ultimate is the only one that has a unique additive. I can also tell you 89 octane regular gets put in the premium tank at the station by accident a lot more than you can imagine and the reverse is also true. Higher octane is for engines with more than 9, 9.5 to 1 compression buying high octane gas for compression lower than that is a waist of money. In other words don't over think it your Bronco will live and run fine on what ever gas you choose with out additives.
Sponsored