Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wife and I were invited to a wedding a month ago in Golden Colorado, so I did what any logical Bronco owner would do, I planned a weeklong adventure in Colorado. I hesitate to call it overland because it wasn’t truly overlanding, but we did more than many "overlanders" do (with a whole lot less gear) so who cares! A friend of mine had planned to join us for the whole trip with his ZR2, but unfortunately, he got held up by a discovery on the drive out of a contaminated CV joint. Fortunately, he was able to get a replacement installed and join us for the last couple days of our adventure. (Build details here)

Quick overview of the itinerary:
Sep-22 (Friday): Left Michigan
Sep-23: Arrive at Great Sand Dunes National Park. Camp in the dispersed area just after crossing Medano Pass.
Sep-24: Hike at Great Sand Dunes NP, then drive up to St. Elmo and take Tin Cup pass, then head to Crested Butte and find dispersed camping.
Sep-25: Go on an epic alpine mountain bike ride in Crested Butte
Sep-26: Take Schofield Pass (Devils Punchbowl) trail over to Marble, come back to Crested Butte via Kebler Pass for camping.
Sep-27: Take Pearl Pass from Crested Butte to Aspen. Explore Aspen before finding dispersed camping up Lincoln Creek Rd.
Sep-28: Drive to Leadville via scenic Independence Pass, cross Mosquito Pass and beyond to find dispersed camping on the way to Hwy 60.
Sep-29: Dive up Hwy 60 to the start of Red Cone/Webster Pass. Take Red Cone and continue on to Keystone to cap off the trip before heading to Golden for the wedding (Sep 30).
Sep-30: After the wedding, head home late and drive through the night. Back to Michigan Sunday evening.

To kick things off, I am a big fan of avoiding expressways when you are on an adventure. They add a lot of value to getting to places quickly but try to get off them and take back roads as soon as its practical. We dropped off I-80 at Kearney Nebraska and took a more meandering route all the way down to Medano Pass (Great Sand Dunes NP). We crossed countless small farm communities, a minor mountain range and one beautiful remote mountain pass before entering the national park, where most people's adventures would begin. You have to drag your google maps waypoints kicking and screaming to take the back way, but often the time penalty is less than expected and the sense of freedom is oh-so worth it.

Medano Pass was absolutely the way I recommend anyone enter the National Park, at least coming from east of the Rockies. It is not difficult; the views are incredible, and you get the perspective of the sand dunes rising into view in the mountain valley as you descend into the park.
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455036213
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455238726

After a hike up the dunes and a lunch break, we pounded the pavement (thankfully no expressway) up to St. Elmo, for the sole purpose of driving over Tin Cup Pass. Certainly, this was not the most direct route to Crested Butte, but I tried my best to take every documented trail I could if it could accomplish part of my route semi-productively.

Tin Cup was a bit more rugged than I expected, the only footage I had watched before was from TFL. This led me to believe it was a glorified forest service road, but it was surprisingly rocky, enough that I would highly recommend airing down for comfort alone. There is an unexpected split in the trail where you can take the common route, or a route called "Old Tin Cup" I of course took the optional route, and it was surprisingly hard core. I think it would pose a challenge climbing, but luckily, I was descending. Unfortunately, I did not get any good drone footage of this pass.

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455323338
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455416795

Our first adventure in Crested Butte was an Alpine Mountain Bike Ride on trail 401. A legendary trail from the OG days of the sport. Shout out to my wife who carried our 1-year-old daughter on her back most of the way up, thankfully most of the elevation gain for the loop is along Schofield pass road so we could casually make our way up. I took our daughter on my back once the actual mountain bike trail started (at the pass). Unfortunately, the first mile or so of the actual trail 401 was a climb up to over 11,000 feet. I'm not in bad shape, but I'm no Olympian either, safe to say I walked basically that entire climb. Only once the trail went flat or down, was I able to actually "mountain bike". The trail itself is actually pretty tame as far as Colorado Black Diamonds go. I think a Blue/Black would have been more appropriate, but that could have also been because I was intentionally riding very conservatively with my daughter on my back, rather than my usual habit of getting tires off the ground at every opportunity.

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455622218
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455678976

Our second day at Crested Butte we opted to take Schofield Pass trail all the way to Marble. We had planned to see Devils Punchbowl, Crystal Mill, and whatever Marble had to offer. The trial rating was only a 5/10, that may be appropriate for the objective obstacle difficulty, but it was scarier than any 7 or 8/10 trail I had ever done. In a SxS or an old jeep with a narrow trackwidth, the trail is a cake walk, but with my 0 offset wheels I had my tires at the edge of the trail kicking rocks loose on at least 2 occasions (caught on film) and probably a few more. As a natural thrill seeker, I am not easily made fearfully uncomfortable, but a good portion of this trail had me seriously reconsidering and regretting my choices, especially since I had brought my 1-year-old daughter with us. I mean this with full sincerity, do not take this trail with a full-size truck, or a midsize off-roader with positive offset wheels or long travel (or Raptor) suspension. There are other beautiful trails in the area that are much lower risk. It is just too narrow to risk a very wide or very long vehicle. Just check out this rental car that almost plummeted into the valley, and this was on a rather wide portion of the trail.

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455755582
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455803964
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455774327

Also, even being a sucker for small quiet towns, Marble does not have much to offer unless you like hiking (I do). There is only one restaurant, it's just not quite the destination payoff I was expecting after our harrowing journey. We found a nice hike, and then grabbed coffee down the road at Redstone before heading back to Crested Butte (via Kebler pass) to camp for the night. (check out the wildfire smoke in the distance)

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699455942720

Wednesday our plan was to head to Aspen via either Pearl Pass or Taylor Pass. I decided to get a recommendation at the local bike shop (as to which is better for wheeling) and they leaned slightly in favor of Pearl Pass, so that’s what we did.

Pearl Pass was probably the highlight of our trip in terms of stunning views. Our pictures and videos doesn’t begin to do it justice. The trail had a bit more technical difficulty than Devils Punchbowl, but the shelf road sections didn’t seem quite as narrow. The exposure was much higher as we neared the pass, so I was definitely still white knuckling but at all times I had at least 6" to the edge of the trail. The trail was quiet too, I get the feeling that if I took Taylor pass I would have been bombarded by SxS's from all around, but Pearl was nice and quiet, we only saw a trio of 4runners on the south side and a couple jeeps near the end of the trail on the north side, and thankfully no-one near the top where the shelf road makes passing practically impossible.

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456027952
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456085821

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456123790
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456411909

We killed some time at Aspen checking out the local shops and coffee/icecream, very cool to see it in the summer, previously I had only ever seen it in the winter. A little rich for my blood if I'm honest. At this point in our Trip, Seth had finished repairing his half shaft on the ZR2 and was en route to meet us at camp just outside of Aspen later that evening. There is a lot of dispersed camping up the valley along Lincoln Creek road. We found a beautiful spot near a waterfall.

Thursday we set out (with Seth) to Leadville along hwy 82. I tried to avoid pavement as much as possible on this trip, but hwy 82 over independence pass is a worthy exception. Once in Leadville we turned east to hook up with Mosquito Pass. This was probably our tamest pass, only a 4/10 rating, but it still has some exposed shelf road and mild rocky obstacles. A good entry level for these mountain pass trails with beautiful views and some cool abandoned mines to check out along the way. Fun fact, the 33" KO2's on the ZR2 are my OEM 33's from the Bronco. Glad they get to keep up the legacy of adventuring!

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456595594
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456679592

(Trail-side inspection)
We had planned to camp at Kite lake that night, but once up there we realized there was absolutely no tree-cover, and the prior week had already taught us that nights above 9,500 ft were getting bitter cold, and Kite lake was almost 12,000 ft. We took short hike and decided to head back down and find dispersed camping somewhere along the way to hwy 60. With no luck, and different campground closures, we settled for Timberline Campground which was empty apart from us and a single 5th-wheel.

Unsurprisingly Red Cone was the second highlight of the trip. In many ways it was the most enjoyable trail, we had a buddy with us, and the obstacles were actually pretty hard core if you chose to take the harder lines. The views were also spectacular once we got up on the ridge. The bright red side of Red Cone is something to behold, and the fact that the trail runs right over it is so cool, it embodies what makes Colorado such a special place. (Blurry photos below are snipped from video)

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456848702
Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699457586896

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699457645892

As you can see in the video (links below), I didn’t really wait for any spotting on the trail. Spotting wasn’t really necessary with lockers and 37's but it probably would have saved me from some unnecessary undercarriage scraping. Eventually, somewhere near the top of the trail, my rowdiness and intentional non-dodging of boulders on the trail cost me my right rear shock reservoir. I was able to complete the trail, and thankfully we were sticking to pavement for the remainder of the trip, but it would have been avoided by more conservative driving and aftermarket shock shields. It's not just about the cost of the shock for me (after all this was just an excuse for me to upgrade) but these trails are a gift and dumping a shocks worth of damper fluid out at the top of our pristine mountain ecosystems is not a good example of stewardship, so please learn from my mistake, don’t unnecessarily plow over boulders unless you dress accordingly.

We capped off the adventure with late lunch in Keystone before parting ways. My buddy continued on to do some more wheeling and hiking and we headed down to golden for the wedding the following day.

Overall, we had a blast, and I am thankful that our vehicle damage was limited to just our rear shock. I am also thankful we were able to add in a mix of hiking and biking so that we didn’t feel too trapped in the Bronco over the course of the week. I also want to give a shout-out to MAXXIS, the Trepadors performed phenomenally. I never felt like I lacked traction or comfort, and most critically when on the narrow shelf roads where I kept one tire basically on the inner wall to maximize my space at the edge, I was constantly rubbing tires against rough and ragged rocks and didn’t sustain any sidewall damage.

Ford Bronco TeocaliMG's "Overland" Adventure Colorado 2023 1699456961725
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Video Thread: I compiled most of our phone and drone footage into these 5 videos. There is no fancy editing or music, just raw footage!

You will also notice that my wife and I are very new to operating the drone and our footage is pretty bad (too much movement, bad angles). We have a lot to learn but ultimately, we did this for ourselves to enjoy looking back on our adventures.

-chill

-sketchy footage (including rental car)

-best views

-pretty chill, getting better with the drone

-best obstacles and filming

If you are looking for details on our build so far, in particular my highly modified bike rack, I will be posting a separate build thread soon!

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like an awesome adventure! Great write up! That picture of the old mill reminds me of one we had in our house growing up.
Thanks for sharing 🤠

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My wife and I were invited to a wedding a month ago in Golden Colorado, so I did what any logical Bronco owner would do, I planned a weeklong adventure in Colorado. I hesitate to call it overland because it wasn’t truly overlanding, but we did more than many "overlanders" do (with a whole lot less gear) so who cares! A friend of mine had planned to join us for the whole trip with his ZR2, but unfortunately, he got held up by a discovery on the drive out of a contaminated CV boot. Fortunately, he was able to get a replacement installed and join us for the last couple days of our adventure.

Sep-23: Arrive at Great Sand Dunes National Park. Camp in the dispersed area just after crossing Medano Pass.
Sep-24: Hike at Great Sand Dunes NP, then drive up to St. Elmo and take Tin Cup pass, then head to Crested Butte and find dispersed camping.
Sep-26: Take Schofield Pass (Devils Punchbowl) trail over to marble, come back to Crested Butte via Kebler Pass for camping.
Sep-27: Take Pearl Pass from Crested Butte to Aspen. Explore Aspen before finding dispersed camping up Lincoln Creek Rd.
Sep-28: Drive to Leadville via scenic Independence Pass, cross Mosquito Pass and beyond to find dispersed camping on the way to Hwy 60.
Sep-29: Dive up Hwy 60 to the start of Red Cone/Webster Pass. Take Red Cone and continue on to Keystone to cap off the trip before heading to Golden for the wedding (Sep 30).
Sep-30: After the wedding, head home late and drive through the night. Back to Michigan Sunday evening.

To kick things off, I am a big fan of avoiding expressways when you are on an adventure. They add a lot of value to getting to places quickly but try to get off them and take back roads as soon as its practical. We dropped off I-80 at Kearney Nebraska and took a more meandering route all the way down to Medano Pass (Great Sand Dunes NP). We crossed countless small farm communities, a minor mountain range and one beautiful remote mountain pass before entering the national park, where most people's adventures would begin. You have to drag your google maps waypoints kicking and screaming to take the back way, but often the time penalty is less than expected and the sense of freedom is oh-so worth it.

Medano Pass was absolutely the way I recommend anyone enter the National Park, at least coming from east of the Rockies. It is not difficult; the views are incredible, and you get the perspective of the sand dunes rising into view in the mountain valley as you descend into the park.
1699455036213.png
1699455238726.png

After a hike up the dunes and a lunch break, we pounded the pavement (thankfully no expressway) up to St. Elmo, for the sole purpose of driving over Tin Cup Pass. Certainly, this was not the most direct route to Crested Butte, but I tried my best to take every documented trail I could if it could accomplish part of my route semi-productively.

Tin Cup was a bit more rugged than I expected, the only footage I had watched before was from TFL. This led me to believe it was a glorified forest service road, but it was surprisingly rocky, enough that I would highly recommend airing down for comfort alone. There is an unexpected split in the trail where you can take the common route, or a route called "Old Tin Cup" I of course took the optional route, and it was surprisingly hard core. I think it would pose a challenge climbing, but luckily, I was descending. Unfortunately, I did not get any good drone footage of this pass.

1699455323338.png
1699455416795.png

Our first adventure in Crested Butte was an Alpine Mountain Bike Ride on trail 401. A legendary trail from the OG days of the sport. I carried our 1-year-old daughter on my back while my wife carried the camelback/snacks. Thankfully most of the elevation gain for the loop is along Schofield pass road so we could casually make our way up. Unfortunately, the first mile or so of the actual trail 401 was a climb up to over 11,000 feet. I'm not in bad shape, but I'm no Olympian either, safe to say I walked basically that entire climb. Only once the trail went flat or down, was I able to actually "mountain bike". The trail itself is actually pretty tame as far as Colorado Black Diamonds go. I think a Blue/Black would have been more appropriate, but that could have also been because I was intentionally riding very conservatively with my daughter on my back, rather than my usual habit of getting tires off the ground at every opportunity.

1699455622218.png
1699455678976.png

Our second day at Crested Butte we opted to take Schofield Pass trail all the way to Marble. We had planned to see Devils Punchbowl, Crystal Mill, and whatever Marble had to offer. The trial rating was only a 5/10, that may be appropriate for the objective obstacle difficulty but it was more scary than any 7 or 8/10 trail I had ever done. In a SxS or an old jeep with a narrow wheelbase, the trail is a cake walk, but with my 0 offset wheels I had my tires at the edge of the trail kicking rocks loose on at least 2 occasions (caught on film) and probably a few more. As a natural thrill seeker, I am not easily made fearfully uncomfortable, but a good portion of this trail had me seriously reconsidering and regretting my choices, especially since I had brought my 1 year old daughter with us. I mean this with full sincerity, do not take this trail with a full size truck, or a midsize off-roader with positive offset wheels or long travel (or Raptor) suspension. There are other beautiful trails in the area that are much lower risk. It is just too narrow to risk a very wide or very long vehicle. Just check out this rental car that almost plummeted into the valley, and this was on a rather wide portion of the trail.

1699455755582.png
1699455803964.png
1699455774327.png

Also, even being a sucker for small quiet towns, Marble does not have much to offer unless you like hiking (I do). There is only one restaurant, it's just not quite the destination payoff I was expecting after our harrowing journey. We found a nice hike, and then grabbed coffee down the road at Redstone before heading back to Crested Butte (via Kebler pass) to camp for the night. (check out the wildfire smoke in the distance)

1699455942720.png

Wednesday our plan was to head to Aspen via either Pearl Pass or Taylor Pass. I decided to get a recommendation at the local bike shop (as to which is better for wheeling) and they leaned slightly in favor of Pearl Pass, so that’s what we did.

Pearl Pass was probably the highlight of our trip in terms of stunning views. Our pictures and videos doesn’t begin to do it justice. The trail had a bit more technical difficulty than Devils Punchbowl, but the shelf road sections didn’t seem quite as narrow. The exposure was much higher as we neared the pass, so I was definitely still white knuckling but at all times I had at least 6" to the edge of the trail. The trail was quiet too, I get the feeling that if I took Taylor pass I would have been bombarded by SxS's from all around, but Pearl was nice and quiet, we only saw a trio of 4runners on the south side and a couple jeeps near the end of the trail on the north side, and thankfully no-one near the top where the shelf road makes passing practically impossible.

1699456027952.png
1699456085821.png

1699456123790.png
1699456411909.png

We killed some time at Aspen checking out the local shops and coffee/icecream, very cool to see it in the summer, previously I had only ever seen it in the winter. A little rich for my blood if I'm honest. At this point in our Trip, Seth had finished repairing his half shaft on the ZR2 and was en route to meet us at camp just outside of Aspen later that evening. There is a lot of dispersed camping up the valley along Lincoln Creek road. We found a beautiful spot near a waterfall.

Thursday we set out (with Seth) to Leadville along hwy 82. I tried to avoid pavement as much as possible on this trip, but hwy 82 over independence pass is a worthy exception. Once in Leadville we turned east to hook up with Mosquito Pass. This was probably our tamest pass, only a 4/10 rating, but it still has some exposed shelf road and mild rocky obstacles. A good entry level for these mountain pass trails with beautiful views and some cool abandoned mines to check out along the way. Fun fact, the 33" KO2's on the ZR2 are my OEM 33's from the Bronco. Glad they get to keep up the legacy of adventuring!

1699456595594.png
1699456679592.png

(Trail-side inspection)
We had planned to camp at Kite lake that night, but once up there we realized there was absolutely no tree-cover, and the prior week had already taught us that nights above 9,500 ft were getting bitter cold, and Kite lake was almost 12,000 ft. We took short hike and decided to head back down and find dispersed camping somewhere along the way to hwy 60. With no luck, and different campground closures, we settled for Timberline Campground which was empty apart from us and a single 5th-wheel.

Unsurprisingly Red Cone was the second highlight of the trip. In many ways it was the most enjoyable trail, we had a buddy with us, and the obstacles were actually pretty hard core if you chose to take the harder lines. The views were also spectacular once we got up on the ridge. The bright red side of Red Cone is something to behold, and the fact that the trial runs right over it is so cool, it embodies what makes Colorado such a special place. (Blurry photos below are snipped from video)

1699456848702.png
1699457586896.png

1699457645892.png
View attachment 581010

As you can see in the video (links below), I didn’t really wait for any spotting on the trail. Spotting wasn’t really necessary with lockers and 37's but it probably would have saved me from some unnecessary undercarriage scraping. Eventually, somewhere near the top of the trail, my rowdiness and intentional non-dodging of boulders on the trail cost me my right rear shock reservoir. I was able to complete the trail, and thankfully we were sticking to pavement for the remainder of the trip, but it would have been avoided by more conservative driving and aftermarket shock shields. It's not just about the cost of the shock for me (after all this was just an excuse for me to upgrade) but these trails are a gift and dumping a shocks worth of damper fluid out at the top of our pristine mountain ecosystems is not a good example of stewardship, so please learn from my mistake, don’t unnecessarily plow over boulders unless you dress accordingly.

We capped off the adventure with late lunch in Keystone before parting ways. My buddy continued on to do some more wheeling and hiking and we headed down to golden for the wedding the following day.

Overall, we had a blast, and I am thankful that our vehicle damage was limited to just our rear shock. I am also thankful we were able to add in a mix of hiking and biking so that we didn’t feel too trapped in the Bronco over the course of the week. I also want to give a shout-out to MAXXIS, the Trepadors performed phenomenally. I never felt like I lacked traction or comfort, and most critically when on the narrow shelf roads where I kept one tire basically on the inner wall to maximize my space at the edge, I was constantly rubbing tires against rough and ragged rocks and didn’t sustain any sidewall damage.

1699456961725.png
Great write up, thanks for posting! At what point did you remove the front flares? Or were they removed unintentionally?

Also, what's the story with the Hyundai hanging on the edge of death?

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up, thanks for posting! At what point did you remove the front flares? Or were they removed unintentionally?

Also, what's the story with the Hyundai hanging on the edge of death?
Basically any time I expected the trail to get flexy I would remove the front flares. I am running just a portion of a 1" front level on Badlands Non-Sas suspension, so my 37's use up every bit of space available at full articulation.

Rumor on the Hyundai is it was a British guy who tried to take it up the mountain for some photography, and somehow he got the right side tires off the trail. Not sure if he was trying to dodge the rocky out-cropping, or just really had no awareness of the right side of the vehicle (Perhaps he was just trying to drive on the "other" side of the road lol). Either way he is extremely lucky that it didn't go all the way. How he got that far in the first place is impressive. No major obstacles but the ride must have knocked his teeth out.

From the front, it looks salvageable, but the rear is almost halfway off the trail with the rear tire well up in the air. I considered recovery with my winch, but it seemed very reasonable that it might just end up sliding the car off, and I didn't want to find out what would happen with me still attached. He got out safely and others were able to get through with spotting so there was no dire need for me to try and be a hero.

Edit: I forgot to mention you can see the guy (driver of the Hyundai) on the Tacoma tailgate, getting a ride down with a very defeated look.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
we didn’t feel too trapped in the Bronco over the course of the week
I fondly remember your 2019 guesses & hints about the plethora of pre-release renders and whether or not the 'real thing' would be close. Glad to see you are hale & hearty and airing out your Bronco

Goobstew63

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife and I were invited to a wedding a month ago in Golden Colorado, so I did what any logical Bronco owner would do, I planned a weeklong adventure in Colorado. I hesitate to call it overland because it wasn’t truly overlanding, but we did more than many "overlanders" do (with a whole lot less gear) so who cares! A friend of mine had planned to join us for the whole trip with his ZR2, but unfortunately, he got held up by a discovery on the drive out of a contaminated CV boot. Fortunately, he was able to get a replacement installed and join us for the last couple days of our adventure.

Sep-26: Take Schofield Pass (Devils Punchbowl) trail over to Marble, come back to Crested Butte via Kebler Pass for camping.

Our first adventure in Crested Butte was an Alpine Mountain Bike Ride on trail 401. A legendary trail from the OG days of the sport. I carried our 1-year-old daughter on my back while my wife carried the camelback/snacks. Thankfully most of the elevation gain for the loop is along Schofield pass road so we could casually make our way up. Unfortunately, the first mile or so of the actual trail 401 was a climb up to over 11,000 feet. I'm not in bad shape, but I'm no Olympian either, safe to say I walked basically that entire climb. Only once the trail went flat or down, was I able to actually "mountain bike". The trail itself is actually pretty tame as far as Colorado Black Diamonds go. I think a Blue/Black would have been more appropriate, but that could have also been because I was intentionally riding very conservatively with my daughter on my back, rather than my usual habit of getting tires off the ground at every opportunity.

Our second day at Crested Butte we opted to take Schofield Pass trail all the way to Marble. We had planned to see Devils Punchbowl, Crystal Mill, and whatever Marble had to offer. The trial rating was only a 5/10, that may be appropriate for the objective obstacle difficulty, but it was scarier than any 7 or 8/10 trail I had ever done. In a SxS or an old jeep with a narrow trackwidth, the trail is a cake walk, but with my 0 offset wheels I had my tires at the edge of the trail kicking rocks loose on at least 2 occasions (caught on film) and probably a few more. As a natural thrill seeker, I am not easily made fearfully uncomfortable, but a good portion of this trail had me seriously reconsidering and regretting my choices, especially since I had brought my 1-year-old daughter with us. I mean this with full sincerity, do not take this trail with a full-size truck, or a midsize off-roader with positive offset wheels or long travel (or Raptor) suspension. There are other beautiful trails in the area that are much lower risk. It is just too narrow to risk a very wide or very long vehicle. Just check out this rental car that almost plummeted into the valley, and this was on a rather wide portion of the trail.

(Trail-side inspection)

Unsurprisingly Red Cone was the second highlight of the trip. In many ways it was the most enjoyable trail, we had a buddy with us, and the obstacles were actually pretty hard core if you chose to take the harder lines. The views were also spectacular once we got up on the ridge. The bright red side of Red Cone is something to behold, and the fact that the trail runs right over it is so cool, it embodies what makes Colorado such a special place. (Blurry photos below are snipped from video)

What an amazing adventure! We live in Colorado and have never done as much as you did here in a week!

Big Lowery

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty cool. Was very surprised with the Colorado due so well.

Video Thread: I compiled most of our phone and drone footage into these 5 videos. There is no fancy editing or music, just raw footage!

You will also notice that my wife and I are very new to operating the drone and our footage is pretty bad (too much movement, bad angles). We have a lot to learn but ultimately, we did this for ourselves to enjoy looking back on our adventures.

(1) Tin Cup Pass (Old Tin Cup Route) - YouTube
-chill
(1) Devils Punchbowl, Schofield Pass Trail - YouTube
-sketchy footage (including rental car)
(1) Pearl Pass, Crested Butte to Aspen - YouTube
-best views
(1) Mosquito Pass, Bronco and ZR2 - YouTube
-pretty chill, getting better with the drone
(1) Red Cone, Bronco and ZR2 (I broke my rear shock!) - YouTube
-best obstacles and filming

If you are looking for details on our build so far, in particular my highly modified bike rack, I will be posting a separate build thread soon!

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

NIce, looks like a good trip. I've been meaning to do redcone myself but last time I was up there I was with a buddy in a Tacoma on 33s and no skids so we opted out.

Whoever gave you ideas on where to go on your trip did a good job.

-A Colorado Native

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for sharing your trip! Would you mind sharing your MTB rack set up? Looks like you had OK clearance. How did the bikes fair...some of the trails looked like they might have tested that rack a bit.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your trip! Would you mind sharing your MTB rack set up? Looks like you had OK clearance. How did the bikes fair...some of the trails looked like they might have tested that rack a bit.
Absolutely! It is a very custom bike rack, I will be posting a special thread on all the work that went into that as well as the rest of my build (which is remarkably stock)

The bike rack did great, I did end up breaking the blue plastic handle at the very back but that was my fault for having it oriented vertically instead of sideways and it caught on departure over a rocky obstacle on Pearl Pass.

The primary goal of the bike rack was to not only get the rack up and out of the way of high departure angle obstacles, but also to have 2 points of contact to greatly increase the lateral stiffness. I did not want to solely rely on the hitch to keep the rack from rocking back and forth constantly. Moving the swing arm to the bumper gave me an extremely rigid assembly. All the remaining motion (which is pretty minimal) is coming from the pivot on the rack itself.

Also, the bikes did great, there was one point on Pearl Pass where the rear most bike fell off (only briefly, and no significant damage thankfully) but that is entirely due to me installing it on the rack half-hazardly (front tire retaining arm was too far forward). You can actually see in the video on Pearl Pass that the bike was not properly secured! I also noticed that raising the bike rack up significantly reduced the amount of dust and mud that collects on the bikes.

Last edited:

jonesh242

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trail-Squak, YT Capra 29er & Decoy Mullet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely! It is a very custom bike rack, I will be posting a special thread on all the work that went into that as well as the rest of my build (which is remarkably stock)

The bike rack did great, I did end up breaking the blue plastic handle at the very back but that was my fault for having it oriented vertically instead of sideways and it caught on departure over a rocky obstacle on Pearl Pass.

The primary goal of the bike rack was to not only get the rack up and out of the way of high departure angle obstacles, but also to have 2 points of contact to greatly increase the lateral stiffness. I did not want to solely rely on the hitch to keep the rack from rocking back and forth constantly. Moving the swing arm to the bumper gave me an extremely rigid assembly. All the remaining motion (which is pretty minimal) is coming from the pivot on the rack itself.

Also, the bikes did great, there was one point on Pearl Pass where the rear most bike fell off (only briefly, and no significant damage thankfully) but that is entirely due to me installing it on the rack half-hazardly (front tire retaining arm was too far forward). You can actually see in the video on Pearl Pass that the bike was not properly secured! I also noticed that raising the bike rack up significantly reduced the amount of dust and mud that collects on the bikes.
Thanks! Yes, definitely want to see your set up. I could tell you have a much greater amount of stiffness. My rack flexes and sways WAY too much for my liking. I'm thinking about buying a 1UP and then custom welding the base for extra rigidity and lift as well. I give you mega credit for towing the bikes along on all those trails. Well done.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks! Yes, definitely want to see your set up. I could tell you have a much greater amount of stiffness. My rack flexes and sways WAY too much for my liking. I'm thinking about buying a 1UP and then custom welding the base for extra rigidity and lift as well. I give you mega credit for towing the bikes along on all those trails. Well done.
I thought twice about it, but actually having bikes give incredible peace of mind. If heaven forbid I had a serios breakdown, or one of us had an accident, it would come in very handy to have a capable mountain bike!

I can't share the clip locally for some reason, but here is a link to the first time we checked the bike rack clearance off-road!:

Camp Hell Yeah.

Everglades
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Tover
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Outstanding report. Very enjoyable read. I don’t know why you don’t consider this “overlanding”. I guess I don’t know what the word means. But seriously, thanks for the pics and write up! Well done.

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Outstanding report. Very enjoyable read. I don’t know why you don’t consider this “overlanding”. I guess I don’t know what the word means. But seriously, thanks for the pics and write up! Well done.
Meant mostly in jest, I think the true definition of overlanding is more in the vein of taking a Land Rover across Africa with nothing but some tools, elbow grease and determination. Nowadays its more of a weekend warrior that wants to go wheeling and camp at the same time lol.
Sponsored