DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, another "My stereo system sucks in my Bronco" thread. I upgraded by stereo in my '22 OBX (softtop, non B&O) with front and rear Alpine type S 4" and Kicker KS 6.75s in the kick. I went on Forscan and edited the rear speakers, but that didn't seem to do anything. I've messed with the settings, balance and fade, tried setting to driver audio, or whatever it's called. It still is just terrible. I know the next step is to add a Kicker key200.4 and possible a subwoofer, but is the kicker key going to bring these speakers to life or what?!
What are you trying to achieve? Lots of people are happy with the Kicker Key route and possibly the underseat/hideaway subs. If you don't want to get too crazy and you just want more, this is a perfect route. If you want to go to a bigger amp with more power and a real sub, then you open up a whole different level of audio. It is unrealistic when people say I spent 1X and it sounds like 4X. You get what you pay for, installing yourself saves lots of the cost but better components are better components.
Sponsored

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is unrealistic when people say I spent 1X and it sounds like 4X. You get what you pay for, installing yourself saves lots of the cost but better components are better components.
In todays world, you're LUCKY if you get what you paid for.

BWepps

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I don't have the B&O, but am doing a "budget upgrade." I bought a new Kicker Key 180.4 (saved over $100 vs. the 200.4), already upgraded all four 4" speakers, and bought a set of Rockford Fosgate 6 3/4" for the kick panels. Reviews on them claim that they have solid bass (not looking to shake the windows). To piece it all together, I'm using one of the Plug N Play cable sets. Out of pocket for the Kicker Key 180.4, Plug N Play cable, & 6 3/4" speakers will be just over $400.

Looking forward to piece it all together tomorrow.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not a big audiophile so I just swapped out the 4” speakers with Kenwoods and added a Kicker Hideaway HS8 to the floor behind front drivers seat. Total cost over a year ago was like $350 and the bang for buck was tremendous, especially the bass added with Kicker!

WildBlue

Wildtrak
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is what I did last summer.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ker-removal-wiring-diagram.25210/post-1482304

Basically I did what you are doing. I first replaced the dash speakers and rear pod speakers with Alpine S40 speakers. Dash speakers were an improvement however the rears were still sounding like crap. I also bought Kicker CS 6.5 to replace the kick panel speakers but I first tried hooking up one of the Kicker speakers to see how it sounded and it actually sounded worst then the stock Kick panel speaker so I left the kick panel speakers stock and they still are. So there wasn't really much of an improvement over just replacing the stock speakers. I then added the Key amp 200.4 and a Kicker hideaway sub with the plug and play kits and harnesses. Was very simple The amp was absolutely the biggest difference.

https://plugnplaykits.com/collectio...lified-radio-plug-n-play-audio-harnesses-kits

Now this brings me to today and tomorrow. I had recently taken the Kicker CS 6.5 speakers I had sitting in garage since last summer and plugged one into the rear pod harness just out of curiosty and holy crap what a difference. I just received the SSV 6.5 speaker pods and will be installing them tomorrow. I think the issue with rears was the fact the Alpine S40 speakers only handle up to 45 watts RMS where the Kicker CS 6.5 handle up to 100 watts RMS.

https://ssvworks.com/collections/bronco/products/2021-2023-ford-bronco-rear-speaker-pod-add-ons

Sponsored
OP
OP
Hotpantz

Hotpantz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is what I did last summer.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ker-removal-wiring-diagram.25210/post-1482304

Basically I did what you are doing. I first replaced the dash speakers and rear pod speakers with Alpine S40 speakers. Dash speakers were an improvement however the rears were still sounding like crap. I also bought Kicker CS 6.5 to replace the kick panel speakers but I first tried hooking up one of the Kicker speakers to see how it sounded and it actually sounded worst then the stock Kick panel speaker so I left the kick panel speakers stock and they still are. So there wasn't really much of an improvement over just replacing the stock speakers. I then added the Key amp 200.4 and a Kicker hideaway sub with the plug and play kits and harnesses. Was very simple The amp was absolutely the biggest difference.

https://plugnplaykits.com/collectio...lified-radio-plug-n-play-audio-harnesses-kits

Now this brings me to today and tomorrow. I had recently taken the Kicker CS 6.5 speakers I had sitting in garage since last summer and plugged one into the rear pod harness just out of curiosty and holy crap what a difference. I just received the SSV 6.5 speaker pods and will be installing them tomorrow. I think the issue with rears was the fact the Alpine S40 speakers only handle up to 45 watts RMS where the Kicker CS 6.5 handle up to 100 watts RMS.

https://ssvworks.com/collections/bronco/products/2021-2023-ford-bronco-rear-speaker-pod-add-ons
Very interesting, if you don't mind, when you get but all hooked up, lmk how it sounds! Thanks

Cl1ckst3r

Outer Banks
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did a pretty basic upgrade. I replaced all my 4 inch speaks with Powerbass 2xl

https://powerbassusa.com/us/en/products/mobile-audio/2xl-403-4-full-range/

These are 3 Ohm speakers, so you get more volume from the stock amp.

Kick panel speakers are stock.

I did add a down-firing 12 inch subwoofer ( JL Audio 12T3-D8 powered by Powerbass XL-2305MX).

For me, the sound is very loud at 20 to 22 which is almost ear-piercing highs, even with the top down. The subwoofer might be overkill. I have it about 1/4 volume most of the time maybe a little louder at times but never more that halfway. I figured with the top down, you want it thump! ;-)

met

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I replaced the 4" speakers and that made a big difference. Cleaned at least the front the sound up. Had an underseat powered subwoofer lying around that I got as a gift a few years ago and installed it on Sunday. It doesn't sound bad at all- the sub filled it out. Will I play more later?..probably. Already contacted JL Audio, picking their brains, but for now I am happy.

OP
OP
Hotpantz

Hotpantz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, I ordered a Kicker Hideaway 8" for under the seat, and I'm ordering a kicker key200.4 today as well with the plug and play kit. I'm hoping that will get me closer to what I want. If that doesn't work, I'll be putting a 10" sub in the rear tailgate, but hopefully the 8" will give me a little but of bass, which is what I'm really lacking. I do feel like the upgraded 4" speakers get distortion after about 18 volume, but im praying rhe Kicker key200 will help with that. Thanks everyone for the input!

tblock

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My Setup:

Focal ES 165KX2 up front, SSV Speaker pods w Focal EC-165K in rear, Stock subwoofer w kicker replacement. Powered by JL 4x100 and Alpine mono block 300 for the sub. Couldn't be happier....

Sponsored

acarzt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, another "My stereo system sucks in my Bronco" thread. I upgraded by stereo in my '22 OBX (softtop, non B&O) with front and rear Alpine type S 4" and Kicker KS 6.75s in the kick. I went on Forscan and edited the rear speakers, but that didn't seem to do anything. I've messed with the settings, balance and fade, tried setting to driver audio, or whatever it's called. It still is just terrible. I know the next step is to add a Kicker key200.4 and possible a subwoofer, but is the kicker key going to bring these speakers to life or what?!
Did you happen to use speaker baffles for your kicks? Or put anything behind yhe speakers when you replaced them?

I initially installed mine with baffles and it KILLED the bass. Removed the baffles and they sounded way better.

OP
OP
Hotpantz

Hotpantz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did you happen to use speaker baffles for your kicks? Or put anything behind yhe speakers when you replaced them?

I initially installed mine with baffles and it KILLED the bass. Removed the baffles and they sounded way better.
No baffles on the kicks here. I just put some boommat on the front 4" last night and it seemed to help a hair, but that's about it.

Coolbeans05

Wildtrak
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Touareg tdi ,Touareg v8
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure if this helped or not with my kickpanel speakers
Ford Bronco Terrible upgraded stereo. 5EC42447-06CA-4806-81A2-1BE5CD0F4D02
Ford Bronco Terrible upgraded stereo. 24752766-7170-42CC-B390-01A5BFA9E771
Ford Bronco Terrible upgraded stereo. 70A50ECA-4E6F-468A-8708-7CE8AB4024A7
Ford Bronco Terrible upgraded stereo. 74C84737-54D2-4BD5-B96C-C8009EEF82E8
but they pound pretty well. if I was to change anything I would have put a mid range speaker in place of the coax as the tweeter is all but dialed out of it anyway
Ended up making grill covers because the stock ones kept rattling and popping off.

mattsmeesh

Heritage
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
So there wasn't really much of an improvement over just replacing the stock speakers. I then added the Key amp 200.4 and a Kicker hideaway sub with the plug and play kits and harnesses. Was very simple The amp was absolutely the biggest difference.
A bit of a noob question, but if you're using the the PnP harness and the key amp, do you need to tap into the the front kick panel for the sub, or is it all running off the head unit? Also, did you run power from the battery to the Key?

Your setup seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.

OP
OP
Hotpantz

Hotpantz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
A bit of a noob question, but if you're using the the PnP harness and the key amp, do you need to tap into the the front kick panel for the sub, or is it all running off the head unit? Also, did you run power from the battery to the Key?

Your setup seems to be exactly what I'm looking for.
I just got the Kicker hideaway today and probably won't be able to get it in until this weekend and I'll update, but since I got the 17' cord from PnP, I don't believe it has to be ran from the kick panels, if you don't have the adapter I think that you do.
Sponsored